General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power/Crank Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-14 9:09 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Subject: Power/Crank Question
I'm starting to look at options for adding a power meter to my 2010 Cervello P2. I'm leaning toward a stages power meter, followed by powetap or Vector2S pedals.

1) Do you love or hate any of these options? Why?

2) If I go with the stages meter, I may consider dropping an additional $150 or so to upgrade to an Ultegra Crank from the FSA Mega EXO that came on the bike. The current crank isn't in bad shape, but it is 5-6 years old. Would you do the upgrade or just stick with the FSA crank?

2016-06-14 9:14 AM
in reply to: marti038

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Power/Crank Question

and I thought we were going to have a powercranks thread, darnit.

2016-06-14 11:20 AM
in reply to: marti038

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by marti038

I'm starting to look at options for adding a power meter to my 2010 Cervello P2. I'm leaning toward a stages power meter, followed by powetap or Vector2S pedals.

1) Do you love or hate any of these options? Why?

2) If I go with the stages meter, I may consider dropping an additional $150 or so to upgrade to an Ultegra Crank from the FSA Mega EXO that came on the bike. The current crank isn't in bad shape, but it is 5-6 years old. Would you do the upgrade or just stick with the FSA crank?

Single sided PMs are less expensive but can be both imprecise and inaccurate. This applies to the Stages and single sided Vector. Several threads on this recently.
The stages is known to have communication issues with some Garmin watches. Less problems (but still some) with head units like the Garmin 500
The Vector has a reputation of being a little more finicky for installation although personally I have never had issues. You have to properly torque things.
The Powertap pedals are the best of those 3 options because they are dual sided and seem reliable.
The Vector is at least upgradeable to dual side for a true power meter vs a power estimator which is what a single sided mechanism is.
It would probably be cheaper to get a Power2max than a Vector and then upgrade to dual side.

2016-06-14 12:57 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by marti038 I'm starting to look at options for adding a power meter to my 2010 Cervello P2. I'm leaning toward a stages power meter, followed by powetap or Vector2S pedals. 1) Do you love or hate any of these options? Why? 2) If I go with the stages meter, I may consider dropping an additional $150 or so to upgrade to an Ultegra Crank from the FSA Mega EXO that came on the bike. The current crank isn't in bad shape, but it is 5-6 years old. Would you do the upgrade or just stick with the FSA crank?
Single sided PMs are less expensive but can be both imprecise and inaccurate. This applies to the Stages and single sided Vector. Several threads on this recently. The stages is known to have communication issues with some Garmin watches. Less problems (but still some) with head units like the Garmin 500 The Vector has a reputation of being a little more finicky for installation although personally I have never had issues. You have to properly torque things. The Powertap pedals are the best of those 3 options because they are dual sided and seem reliable. The Vector is at least upgradeable to dual side for a true power meter vs a power estimator which is what a single sided mechanism is. It would probably be cheaper to get a Power2max than a Vector and then upgrade to dual side.

I would also vote P2M if I were starting over and wanted to limit my budget.  Single sided is just not for me as there is very difficult to know if it is accurate and/or precise as most people have no clue what their L/R imbalance is and how it can possible change through various effort levels, cadence levels, or levels of fatigue.

2016-07-03 9:53 PM
in reply to: #5186818

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
I just got the stages for my road bike and paid the extra to upgrade the cranks as well.

Have had the stages XTR on the mountainbike for a year now. Only issue was the communication others have mentioned but pulling out the battery tabs a bit corrected the issue. No other issues after that!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power/Crank Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Some power questions from a power rookie

Started by Bripod
Views: 1159 Posts: 8

2012-05-16 11:05 PM Bripod

Power Cranks

Started by docshawn
Views: 739 Posts: 1

2007-08-30 9:40 PM docshawn

Power Cranks?

Started by iwantotri
Views: 905 Posts: 5

2007-08-27 6:28 PM 1stTimeTri

Power cranks / Fixed gear bike?

Started by The Beast
Views: 1006 Posts: 7

2006-08-24 3:02 PM briderdt

Power Cranks Spin Class

Started by Tri-It
Views: 958 Posts: 7

2006-01-24 1:35 PM KenMierke
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.