General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Bars on Flat road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-16 11:37 AM

Subject: Aero Bars on Flat road bike
I have a FUJI road bike that has flat bars. I was thinking of getting pair of clip on aero bars to have another riding position because as of lately when on long rides my hands get tired and Ive found myself hunched over crossing arms over bars (I know not very safe). Having the Aero bars would give me another hand position as well as increase speed. Ive seen a lot of things on internet about only putting these on Road Bikes but does having flat bars vs drop bars make a difference?

2016-06-16 12:17 PM
in reply to: mccjer25

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Aero Bars on Flat road bike

For my first triathlon I slapped aerobars on a Gary Fisher hybrid with flat bars.  While the position is certainly not optimal, it's a lot better than sitting straight up.

You'll need to play around with the positioning to get the best combination of comfort vs. aero, but it'll work.

2016-06-16 1:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Aero Bars on Flat road bike

Have you thought about something a little simpler like bar ends? When I started back riding a couple years ago on a "roadified" old mountain bike, I had a lot of hand/wrist fatigue issues. I switched to a set of Ergon GP5 grips with built-in bar ends which allowed me multiple hand placement options and help extend the time I could ride before I felt hand fatigue.

http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/product.html?a=griffe#gptouring-424100...

If you're really wanting to put aero bars on it, I would suggest you look at the Redshift Aero System, or at least the Redshift Seat Post. A flat bar road bike presumably has geometry on the relaxed side of the road bike spectrum. You'll really want to get that seat position forward and up when you're on the aero bars to keep from losing power. The Redshift Seat posts allows you to go back and forth from a regular seat position to an aero-bar specific position on the fly.

https://www.redshiftsports.com/switch-aero-system/

In the end, what really fixed the issue for me was improved core strength. Even with good gloves and the better cushioned grips with bar ends, I would still eventually get sore hands or wrists. When I came back to the bike at the beginning of last summer, after 9 months of intense swim workouts which really developed my core strength, soreness of the hands and wrist was a thing of the past, even on my newly acquired road bike.

Edited by gary p 2016-06-16 1:18 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero Bars on Flat road bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Comments on my Road Bike with Aero Bars and My Aero Positon

Started by Lukester1980
Views: 4015 Posts: 6

2008-06-02 12:16 PM Lukester1980

Aero bar on road bike - comfort question

Started by cobannero
Views: 1337 Posts: 9

2005-07-28 12:08 PM gsmacleod

Aero Bars/Road bike- any suggestions?

Started by Sedward3
Views: 720 Posts: 2

2005-05-04 4:56 PM Sedward3

Stock Road bike that's fitted with aero bars and forward seat post

Started by olddskool
Views: 1467 Posts: 7

2005-01-24 10:54 PM GasMunky

Aero bars on a road bike

Started by mitchowl
Views: 3112 Posts: 17

2004-10-07 11:25 PM nikki
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : March 24, 2011
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?
date : May 25, 2009
comments : 0
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
A brief history on aero bar evolution with a review on the bars that I own and love.
date : January 29, 2007
author : sportfactory
When first going aero, your shop should begin by putting you in the least aggressive position. This means the aerobar pads will be almost level or just below the saddle.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
You can spend a small fortune on these pre-wrapped bundles of energy, thinking they offer magic ingredients-not true. “Energy” simply means “provides calories” and not “will make you feel energetic."