2016-06-20 11:04 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Gun Control

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mdg2003 My company has an active shooter training video we have to watch. Their plan is to tuck tail and run or hide. Do not under any circumstance engage or try to stop one of these psychos. We all want to think we could be the hero in such a circumstance, but you never know how you will respond until the SHTF and you are in the middle of it. Facing a heavily armed gunman, I think my best bet will be to get wounded or 'frozen' potential victims to safety. Now if a weapon were to present itself, say something dropped by the gunman or a CCL who dropped it and bugged out… I'd like to think that I'd have the nerve to pick it up and use it competently. I am reluctant to believe that an armed person in the nightclub would have improved matters. Alcohol and guns are a bad mix. Lacking the proper training, mixed with chaos and alcohol are probably worse. What if a CC guy managed to pop up and kill the gunman AND two innocent bystanders in the process? He loses, gets second guessed, sued and thrown in jail for making matters worse. Now if he was able to drop the gunman after the gunman had already killed a bunch of people… he looks a little better and might avoid jail time. What if he's the first guy the police see when they enter the scene? He stands a good chance of dying for trying to help. I'm all for eliminating a lot of gun free zones ( feel free to pile on! ), places like night clubs aren't on my list.

I don't ever look at things that way......and quite a bit of training (and certainly the training we use) is now centered around not being a hero.,.....but a survivor.  The idea is a simple one.  When all options like running are gone (hiding MAY be a good option, maybe not) and you are now faced with someone who is actively shooting people around you.....YOU'RE NEXT!

In the mass shooting in my city 7 people were killed.  4 of them were hiding or crawling away after the initial 3 were killed.  The main target, the city attorney, got up and started throwing chairs at the shooter.  He gained himself enough time for our officers to get in there and kill the bad guy.  He told me afterwards, when I was interviewing him and others who had been in the council chamber, that he just decided he was not going to lay there and die.  He survived. (the officer who was assigned to guard the council chambers was killed first)

I understand that every situation is different but, you should in no way discount fighting back by any means possible.  it has nothing to do with being a hero.....it's all about living.

CRAP   CRAP    CRAP!

This is the second time TODAY that I've (reluctantly) agreed with you. 

Run-Hide-Fight.  Do something, do ANYTHING...but do it with aggression and rage.

(I may have just thrown up a bit in my mouth. lol)

Our active shooter training at work also follows the Run-Hide-Fight progression. I've seen a few training videos recently that have replaced "hide" with"barricade" or something similar. In other words, find a secure location that can't be breached by the shooter where you can seek shelter until help arrives. Maybe it should be "Run-Barricade-Hide-Fight", but that might be too complicated...

Yes, barricading is part of run-hide-fight......good point.

2016-06-20 11:16 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Where were you guys when we had ex employee who loved his guns threaten to come to my work and shoot up the place if they did not pay him the money they owed him?

I had a plan of action if I heard shots fired. It would have worked well as long as he was lone shooter. It evolved running out the back door to the far stairwell. His main target would been in the front so I think I was safe.
2016-06-20 11:45 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro

Last year my kid called me and said there were cops all over his school because a threat had been received.  He said, "dad, me and Riley need to go through the lunchroom to get to the parking and there are cops everywhere looking for someone, what should we do?".......I said, "run in a serpentine pattern".

2016-06-20 11:56 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

Last year my kid called me and said there were cops all over his school because a threat had been received.  He said, "dad, me and Riley need to go through the lunchroom to get to the parking and there are cops everywhere looking for someone, what should we do?".......I said, "run in a serpentine pattern".

I thought the same thing last night while watching Game of Thrones.

2016-06-20 6:28 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by chirunner134

I thought the same thing last night while watching Game of Thrones.

Right? I mean...
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Gun Control Rss Feed  

of 2