General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rainy Race Day Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-17 9:31 AM

User image

Subject: Rainy Race Day Advice
I have a race tomorrow that is looking more and more like it's going to get rained on! 85% chance! What can I do to make the race go smoothly.

My normal racing outfit is a tri tank and shorts, I think I can wear a cycling jacket and come out okay there.

What do you do with your stuff in transition to keep it from getting sopping wet? Keep it all in your bag?

2016-06-17 9:51 AM
in reply to: bwoods0410

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Rainy Race Day Advice

A bag on the ground will get soaked inside and out in the rain, and I've been in a transition that has literally flooded, with things floating away . That was a memorable race for sure.

I've seen people use Rubbermaid boxes with lids, or those large Ziploc bags for smaller items like socks and body glide. Anything "air tight" will help but just be mentally prepared for wet everything.

What's the expected temperature? A jacket could potentially make you overheat, and remember you'll be wet from the swim (and rain) anyway. 

Good luck and be safe! 

2016-06-17 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Is it going to be cool? I'm wondering why you're thinking of wearing the jacket.

I've had two races this year that I "thought" it was going to rain at. It didn't, but my plan was:

1st race had split transitions. I was going to put my bike gear (T1) and my run gear (T2) in the large plastic bags they handed out for us to put our wetsuits in (they would then transfer them from T1 to T2, for us, in these bags) to keep them dry.

2nd race.....I considered using the bottom portion of a plastic tote....turned upside-down (over my gear).

If it rains.....best advice I can think of is to just embrace the suck and realize it'll be miserable for everyone.
2016-06-17 9:58 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Originally posted by nc452010

Is it going to be cool? I'm wondering why you're thinking of wearing the jacket.

If it rains.....best advice I can think of is to just embrace the suck and realize it'll be miserable for everyone.

It's going to be in the 50's- If I were just going for a normal bike ride I would be wearing sleeves and legs to stay warm in that.

That last bit of advice might be the best.
2016-06-17 10:04 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
My first triathlon was in a light, steady shower. I took a small plastic tub with a snap on lid and left it in transition. The one I had was just big enough to hold my shoes (size 14). I was glad I had it as the rain slacked off before the run and my shoes were mostly dry. Some people were running in squishy shoes.

Swim: Doesn't really matter.

Bike: I wore sunglasses because I wanted something to cover my eyes while riding. Some people kept their swim goggles on for the bike. Avoid puddles and try not to ride on the painted lines as they get really slick. I had flat pedals on my first bike, but today I'd just lay my bike shoes upside down or put them in a small plastic tub with a lid on it. Might as well start with dry shoes.

Run: Shoes in a bin or upside down. I'd run with a cap to keep rain off my face.

2016-06-17 10:16 AM

User image

A jacket will be good if it's raining.

I have used the big ziplock bags. They work. I just packed everything in them -put the bags into my transition bag and then pulled them out the next day.

For me the worst part of a rainy race day is if it's raining before and after. I don't mind racing in the rain but standing around before the start in the rain makes me super cranky. So maybe plan to have a garbage bag or something for before the start if that's in the forecast.

Give other riders more space if the roads are wet, avoid the painted spots on the roads, use tremendous caution with puddles and when stopping and turning.

For the run - extra glide where you might chaffe.

Good luck!

2016-06-17 10:39 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Make sure you bring dry cloths and a towel and leave them in the car, so when you leave you can get comfortable quickly.

Expect everything in transition to be wet, leave you electronics in the car, or put them in ziplock bags inside your transition bag.

Be careful on the bike, Slow down around corners. You can not corner nearly as fast on wet roads. do not ride through puddles, because you don't know if its a tiny dip in the road or a giant pothole ready to eat your front tire for breakfast.

Swimming and running at 55° you will be fine; biking you may want to put on an extra shirt and a pair of gloves. It depends on the individual and length of race. If its a sprint you tend to push harder and may not need anything.
2016-06-17 10:50 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by lisac957

A bag on the ground will get soaked inside and out in the rain, and I've been in a transition that has literally flooded, with things floating away . That was a memorable race for sure.

I've seen people use Rubbermaid boxes with lids, or those large Ziploc bags for smaller items like socks and body glide. Anything "air tight" will help but just be mentally prepared for wet everything.

What's the expected temperature? A jacket could potentially make you overheat, and remember you'll be wet from the swim (and rain) anyway. 

Good luck and be safe! 

This is a great advice!
2016-06-17 10:54 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Embrace the rain!  You are going to be wet.  The tri-top and shorts are OK wet (you shouldn't experience any more chafing than you might otherwise wearing them).  You'll run in soggy shoes.  I'd run several trail runs (creek crossings) and my first IM was a rainy run, so when it rained for my first stand-alone marathon, it was no big deal to run with wet feet.  

Take it easy on the bike.  
Rain = less traction on pavement and concrete.  
Rain = NO traction on painted lines and manhole covers.  
Rain = reduced friction (brakes).  

You don't want a bike mishap to take you out of the race, nor do you want it to take someone else out of the race.  

The rain should help keep you from overheating badly on the run., allowing you to push harder  

2016-06-17 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by bwoods0410

Originally posted by nc452010

It's going to be in the 50's- If I were just going for a normal bike ride I would be wearing sleeves and legs to stay warm in that.

That last bit of advice might be the best.

I had good results with a lightweight bike shell on a cold / rainy IM. You have to be careful not to put too much on because you'll heat up. The shell was perfect.

the main thing that gets cold are the fingers/hands and feet.

wearing waterproof cycling gloves and shoe covers help with that. If you don't have those you could try those latex disposable gloves under a pair of regular cycling gloves. Also food baggies with rubber bands over the socks work for the bike and run to keep the socks dry.

zip lock bags for transition.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rainy Race Day Advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Last minute cold, rainy, windy HM gear advice needed

Started by mcmanusclan5
Views: 1035 Posts: 6

2013-02-24 6:41 PM spie34

Race in 4 days--windy,rainy-disc cover?

Started by tigers75
Views: 650 Posts: 5

2012-09-25 4:44 PM tigers75

Rainy Race Day Preparation

Started by LostSheep
Views: 1428 Posts: 19

2009-03-27 10:19 PM tkd.teacher

Tales from a rainy day

Started by southwestmba
Views: 694 Posts: 9

2005-08-21 6:30 PM David14

Rainy Day Training

Started by AllieG
Views: 1127 Posts: 22

2005-06-12 1:15 PM David14
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Free Triathlon Online Mentoring Open Now

date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.
date : October 7, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
Learn the important aspects of a successful pre-race nutrition plan including carbo-loading and eating the morning of the race.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.