General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Perfect Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-18 11:42 AM

User image

Subject: Perfect Race
Have you had a perfect race ? Executed everything the way you planned. I realized this morning I have yet to have a perfect race. I have come close once or twice. Over the years I've gotten better at minamizing my mistakes. But they still show up.

2016-06-18 1:56 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: Perfect Race

I wouldn't define "perfect" as "executed exactly as planned". There are too many variables in a long race day, so I have to say "executed perfectly" has to include responding to changes perfectly.  For example, during the IMAZ 2008 the run was super hot, but I doggedly stuck with my hydration plan too long.  Eventually I figured out I sticking to the plan was nuts, and I fixed it.  So the error there was sticking to the planned.

I've had many marathons or half marathons where things went was just about perfect, but I wouldn't say any HIM or IM.

But like you, I've gotten better at it, and racing more often the last two years has really helped.

2016-06-18 2:01 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Once.  As perfect as I could get from the uncontrollable factors such as the weather (FL 1st cold front of the year 2 days beforehand) and others around me in the swim (only one issue), to the controllable such as hitting all the training plan goals and the planned race efforts.  Result was 1st place AG.

2016-06-18 4:06 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Originally posted by Donto

Once.  As perfect as I could get from the uncontrollable factors such as the weather (FL 1st cold front of the year 2 days beforehand) and others around me in the swim (only one issue), to the controllable such as hitting all the training plan goals and the planned race efforts.  Result was 1st place AG.

That sounds very close, nice
2016-06-18 4:21 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Originally posted by brucemorgan

I wouldn't define "perfect" as "executed exactly as planned". There are too many variables in a long race day, so I have to say "executed perfectly" has to include responding to changes perfectly.  For example, during the IMAZ 2008 the run was super hot, but I doggedly stuck with my hydration plan too long.  Eventually I figured out I sticking to the plan was nuts, and I fixed it.  So the error there was sticking to the planned.

I've had many marathons or half marathons where things went was just about perfect, but I wouldn't say any HIM or IM.

But like you, I've gotten better at it, and racing more often the last two years has really helped.

Good point. I race predominantly short course and my schedule is typically the same each year. So I know roughly what to expect outside weather. Even with that I have different plans in mind. I tend to replay things to death. Thinking about a race last weekend and the few races I've done well at I could tell you every mistake. So that got me thinking I've never had a perfect race. But pondering it today I'm wondering how you might define a perfect race. As you said , lots of factors.
2016-06-18 4:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano
Originally posted by brucemorgan

Good point. I race predominantly short course and my schedule is typically the same each year. So I know roughly what to expect outside weather. Even with that I have different plans in mind. I tend to replay things to death. Thinking about a race last weekend and the few races I've done well at I could tell you every mistake. So that got me thinking I've never had a perfect race. But pondering it today I'm wondering how you might define a perfect race. As you said , lots of factors.

I do some of the same 5Ks and half marathons each year, but I do a lot of destination races.  Most of the time I've never even seen the course before, and I usually don't drive it.

I've done IMAZ four times, but 3 of them were in '06, '07, and '08 then they moved it to November.  I did IM Canada twice, but the weather was quite different.  I did IM Los Cabos and IM Cozumel when it was their very first year, so nobody knew what to expect.  I did IM Coeur d'Alene and IM Lake Placid once each, and never saw the bike course before I raced it.  I did IM 70.3 Boise twice, but they changed the bike course in between.  I did IM Boulder two years ago, hard to train for 6000' altitude here in the Puget Sound.  I hadn't seen the bike course but I had run the run course along Boulder Creek many times before.

A couple weeks ago I did IM 70.3 Hawaii; I biked 20 miles of the bike course but the run course was the golf course and instant DQ if we tried to run it. I did get to swim in the a half mile of the buoy line in the ocean the day before the race, that was super helpful because it was my first ocean swim in 4 years.

So for me, most race plans are about wattage on the bike, pacing on the run, nutrition and hydration, and after that go with the flow.

I kind of laugh when people emphasize over and over "nothing new on race day".  Well, no new equipment is a good idea, but after that pretty much everything else is usually new to me.  New hill, new weather, new water, new course.

Edited by brucemorgan 2016-06-18 4:35 PM

2016-06-18 5:56 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Realized my best race only in retrospect, was 4 years ago.
2016-06-18 6:06 PM

User image

I've had a couple.  My first marathon I had a sub 4 hour goal which was a stretch given I did my first half marathon 4 weeks prior in 1:55.  Managed 3:58:32 with a 1:59:35 first half split.  So a very slight negative split and the most brutal agony the last 10k hanging on for dear life.  At no point, until maybe the last mile did I think I had it in the bag.  If anything, with 10k to go I thought for sure it would slip away.

Other than that, maybe a few time trials where I was able to hit my wattage goals as well as my time goals.  Usually, the shorter the race, and the less variables in play, the more realistic it is to have a race where you not only execute properly, but hit your goals.  

I've had other races where maybe I didn't hit my time goal, or wattage goal for a bike time trial or uphill road race (which essentially becomes a TT), but I know that I executed to the best of my ability that day given how I felt and the weather conditions.

2016-06-18 6:38 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

I've had a couple.  My first marathon I had a sub 4 hour goal which was a stretch given I did my first half marathon 4 weeks prior in 1:55.  Managed 3:58:32 with a 1:59:35 first half split.  So a very slight negative split and the most brutal agony the last 10k hanging on for dear life.  At no point, until maybe the last mile did I think I had it in the bag.  If anything, with 10k to go I thought for sure it would slip away.

Other than that, maybe a few time trials where I was able to hit my wattage goals as well as my time goals.  Usually, the shorter the race, and the less variables in play, the more realistic it is to have a race where you not only execute properly, but hit your goals.  

I've had other races where maybe I didn't hit my time goal, or wattage goal for a bike time trial or uphill road race (which essentially becomes a TT), but I know that I executed to the best of my ability that day given how I felt and the weather conditions.

Ok but the TT's , rides were you hit your wattage.... did you execute as planned. I ask because I've had races where I expected a time of Y but ended up with X. While my numbers were better I still left time on the table.
2016-06-18 7:23 PM

User image

Yeah, pretty much.  I've done these courses enough times where I generally know what wattage will translate to what time so long as I stay down on the bars.  I have had an instance where I did put out 5 more watts than a previous year and gone 22 seconds slower, but I knew ahead of time that the wind was stronger and the road surface had deteriorated in some sections so my expectations of time were lower going in assuming I did the same watts.

I think there is a difference between leaving time on the table and having realistic expectations of what time you can put up for your maximum effort on a given day.  If a perfect race means that you have to achieve your fastest possible time, even if conditions don't allow for it, then I suppose you could say that when you toe the line at any given race, probably half of them, or maybe more than half have absolutely no shot of being a perfect race.

If on the other hand you say you hit your goal wattages, but you left time on the table because you did something stupid like forget to zip up your skin suit (don't ask me why I would use such an example), then yes, I suppose it's possible to nail your race effort and pacing wise, but still leave time on the table and not be a perfect race.

2016-06-18 8:57 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No, but I have had a few races where nothing went drastically wrong! That for me is doing pretty well. My last two HIM, I felt that I executed them really well and did well despite pretty challenging conditions (cold water and high winds in the one last July; rough water, jellyfish, windy bike and hot run on the one in May). It was the second time I had done IM Vietnam 70.,3 so I knew pretty much what I was dealing with; unlike the previous year, I wasn't sicker than a dog so at least I was facing the course with good fitness and health. But it did throw some additional issues at me in the form of jellyfish stings (both during the warmup and on the swim itself), strong current and swells, windy bike leg, and (of course) hot run. I thought the run was "cool" since it was only in the 90's and about 90% humidity, rather than 100-105 like last year.

Maybe not a perfect race, but I felt like I did a strong effort and followed my plan. My bike power was about 8-10 watts lower than I'd hoped, mainly because I had trouble seeing the power meter! But in the end, all but one of my competitors imploded on the run, and I caught the one who didn't to win my AG and qualify for Worlds,, so maybe it was good to dial back a bit on the bike. Or maybe I could have been 5 or 6 minutes faster.

I don't think the "perfect" race exists, and I would probably have found several things to address if I hadn't won my AG, but that was about as close to "perfect" as I've come. With three different events and all those transitions, and the OCD nature of most triathletes,,the quest for a "perfect" race seems a bit quixotic!

2016-06-21 7:31 AM

User image

I thing that to have a perfect race, you need to have a lot of practice. I tend to not focus on one specific distance enough to make everything fall into place. I did have one unconventional triathlon last year (5k run/4M kayak/12k bike) where I came in 3rd. I had never done a race like that before and was completely unfamiliar with the course. Now that I understand better how to pace that and know what to expect from the course, I would like to go back and see if I can win.
2016-06-21 9:08 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

If not perfect, my race at Savageman in 2011 was very close to it.  I drafted and paced very well on the swim to achieve a HIM swim PR, had some of the fastest transitions of the field, selected the right clothing for the bike and run on a day that started with temps in the 60's and rose into the 70's by the end of the race, paced the bike perfectly to allow a solid run where the last 3 miles felt like heII on earth.  It was the slowest time I've ever had in a HIM, but I feel it's the best execution I've ever achieved.

2016-06-21 9:45 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Sort of. Had planned on running my first full marathon back in February, but had some medical issues just 6 weeks before the race that sidelined me for a few weeks. I decided to do the half instead.

My goal was to run the full in 3:30 or less, then it became to run the half in under 1:42. I ended up finishing the half in 1:33. Had no idea I was capable of keeping that pace for 13.1 miles. I plan to try and run a full at that pace this winter and shoot for Boston. Probably won't happen my first try, but I find challenging goals to be useful motivation.
2016-06-21 9:53 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Yes, twice. And both times were in the middle of massive blocks of training just to have fun. Also both times I didn't pace myself at all, just let'r rip.
2016-06-21 10:42 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Have you had a perfect race ?

When I beat you last summer by 20 seconds, wearing my daughter pink/purple paisley helmet, flat peddles and old sneakers because I left half my gear at home

Other than leaving my gear at home, I executed that race pretty good.

2016-06-21 12:50 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano Have you had a perfect race ?
When I beat you last summer by 20 seconds, wearing my daughter pink/purple paisley helmet, flat peddles and old sneakers because I left half my gear at home Other than leaving my gear at home, I executed that race pretty good.

It was 8 seconds.  By next year you'll be saying an hour.  Everyone knows a pink/purple paisley helmet is the most aero helmet so I do think this was you perfect race.  You planned it that way. 

Man up and wear something by Betty designs this year. 

2016-06-21 1:50 PM

User image

Exton, PA

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano Have you had a perfect race ?
When I beat you last summer by 20 seconds, wearing my daughter pink/purple paisley helmet, flat peddles and old sneakers because I left half my gear at home Other than leaving my gear at home, I executed that race pretty good.

It was 8 seconds.  By next year you'll be saying an hour.  Everyone knows a pink/purple paisley helmet is the most aero helmet so I do think this was you perfect race.  You planned it that way. 

Man up and wear something by Betty designs this year. 

Don't downplay my 40 second win!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Perfect Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Is it possible to run the perfect race as an age grouper?

Started by BuckHamilton
Views: 1699 Posts: 17

2013-07-09 7:21 AM Marvarnett

Another poster got me thinking... What would your perfect race distance be??

Started by ZippGirl
Views: 2538 Posts: 23

2012-08-21 8:03 AM colinphillips

Perfect or Near Perfect Races

Started by xine2kgts
Views: 1288 Posts: 12

2011-08-15 3:03 PM tri808

The Perfect Planner....this time new tire before Sunday's race

Started by BenCar3
Views: 866 Posts: 3

2009-08-15 6:20 PM BenCar3

THE PERFECT RACE...

Started by bryancd
Views: 792 Posts: 7

2008-09-10 11:58 PM Gaarryy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Every athlete can benefit from a quick cadence no matter if they are an Olympic distance racer or Ironman veteran. Take the time to work on your cadence and you will see many benefits.

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : August 31, 2011
author : gracetaBitha
comments : 2
What could've gone wrong did not go wrong. Everything that couldn't go right, went right. Result: The most wonderful, perfect, first triathlon for yours truly.

date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.