General Discussion Triathlon Talk » thoughts on swim smooth clinics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-20 9:42 AM

Subject: thoughts on swim smooth clinics
anybody with experience at swim smooth clinic? thoughts? good? bad?

2016-06-20 3:04 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: thoughts on swim smooth clinics
I'm interested as well... I know I've improved a lot just by reading through the free stuff on their website, so I'm interested in how their paid products and clinics work out for people.
2016-06-20 3:56 PM
in reply to: triathlonpal07

Originally posted by triathlonpal07

I'm interested as well... I know I've improved a lot just by reading through the free stuff on their website, so I'm interested in how their paid products and clinics work out for people.

I like their website and youtube videos. I'm really leaning towards signing up for the clinic. It's $299 for a full day clinic. I know one person that has gone and liked it.
2016-07-11 11:00 AM

I signed up for the swim clinic which is in a couple weeks so I'll follow up afterwards. I talked to the instructor who also does 1 hour current pool stroke analysis at a tri shop. He did say at the full day clinic they do far more underwater video analysis vs the current pool which is mostly above water video (although some in underwater video). He said the full clinic they show you some drills and have you work on them during clinic for addressing some of your stroke issues.
2016-07-25 8:58 AM

So I attended a swim smooth clinic yesterday in Charleson, SC. It went from 8am-3pm. Here is how the session went. There were a total of 6 students.

* introductions - everybody going through their background. what their goals are. what they hope to get out of the clinic
* video recording - instructor recorded video of everybody, one at a time, swimming laps. You did a couple laps of this. then last lap he just timed you
* video analysis - with the group present instructor analyzed each swimmer's video. He noted flaws in strokes. He would then take a side by side screen capture of a flaw with an example of what it should look like. He also recorded the entire discussion so you could take it home and listen to it again. He also indicated some drills that would help and that we work on later
* further instruction - discussion swim smooth swimmer types. some of the swim smooth philosophies. additional videos and discussion of proper stroke technique as well as flawed strokes
* drills - got back in the pool at end of day to practice some of the drills. a lot of people were doing same drills since they had similar stroke flaws but then he we customize it for each individual.

For me the clinic was well worth the $299 for a couple reasons. The video analysis is great. It showed some obvious flaws I have. crossover, lack of high elbow catch, head is too low in water, left arm recovery laying hand flat on water. Also, having the instructor guide me on the drills was great. I could certainly go for a video stroke analysis session and have a similar analysis for cheaper but having the instructor work with me on drills to help me know I was doing them correctly was very beneficial. Also just having discussions and asking questions was of great benefit.

2016-07-25 9:29 AM

User image

Are you in the US? I can't find any information on their clinics in the US.

2016-07-25 9:56 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by TriTampa2

So I attended a swim smooth clinic yesterday in Charleson, SC. It went from 8am-3pm. Here is how the session went. There were a total of 6 students.

* introductions - everybody going through their background. what their goals are. what they hope to get out of the clinic
* video recording - instructor recorded video of everybody, one at a time, swimming laps. You did a couple laps of this. then last lap he just timed you
* video analysis - with the group present instructor analyzed each swimmer's video. He noted flaws in strokes. He would then take a side by side screen capture of a flaw with an example of what it should look like. He also recorded the entire discussion so you could take it home and listen to it again. He also indicated some drills that would help and that we work on later
* further instruction - discussion swim smooth swimmer types. some of the swim smooth philosophies. additional videos and discussion of proper stroke technique as well as flawed strokes
* drills - got back in the pool at end of day to practice some of the drills. a lot of people were doing same drills since they had similar stroke flaws but then he we customize it for each individual.

For me the clinic was well worth the $299 for a couple reasons. The video analysis is great. It showed some obvious flaws I have. crossover, lack of high elbow catch, head is too low in water, left arm recovery laying hand flat on water. Also, having the instructor guide me on the drills was great. I could certainly go for a video stroke analysis session and have a similar analysis for cheaper but having the instructor work with me on drills to help me know I was doing them correctly was very beneficial. Also just having discussions and asking questions was of great benefit.

thanks for sharing your experience. It's great to have a knowledgable coach right next to you to make sure your corrections are right for your stroke.
2016-07-25 11:11 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

Originally posted by happyscientist

Are you in the US? I can't find any information on their clinics in the US.

I am in the US. Currently there are 2 certified swim smooth instructors in the US. One in Charleston, SC where I am at and one recently in Chicago. The on in Charleston said there are supposed to be 4 total by the end of the year. This is the instructor I went to http://lanceogrencoaching.com/

He has clinics in Charleston, SC, NY and now I see one in California.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/certifiedcoaches.html#stacee
2016-07-25 11:16 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Definitely helpful. Now comes the hard work. I won't be expecting quick drastic changes but hope by being consistent in putting in time to correct some of my stroke flaws that I'll see improvement.
2016-08-02 9:09 AM

just thought I would followup with some more information. After attending the clinic, I've started following one of swim smooth's HIM plans for my HIM in October. I've done 4 sessions out of the 32 in their plan. Basically, they state if you do 3 swims a week then the plan will take 10 weeks but you can do more swims per week and just start back again. My goal is 4-5 swims per week. No less than 3.

Basically, they categorize their workouts into technique focused, improving threshold, long swim/open waters skills, longer endurance based session. Looking at the plan almost all include some technique drills, often as part of the warmup. And even the technique focused include hard effort sets so it's no walk in the park. I think for me, this keeps me far more engaged with what I am doing in the pool and not just blindly swimming laps. I don't know what Total Immersion is like but for me, I'm enjoying this plan so far and it's already getting me to the pool more often and I am not bored during my pool workouts. At worst, it will strictly improve my swim fitness level as a result of swimming more frequently. At best, I can see some improvement in my swim speed.
2016-08-02 10:36 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

I don't know what Total Immersion is like but for me, I'm enjoying this plan so far and it's already getting me to the pool more often and I am not bored during my pool workouts. At worst, it will strictly improve my swim fitness level as a result of swimming more frequently. At best, I can see some improvement in my swim speed.

I was beckoned??? lol. TI is sparse on actual training plans...they have a few, but a lot of the institutional knowledge is buried in the forums. 3 TI Master coaches including myself therefore created our own book of practices, not a plan per se but could be easily used to craft one.

I'm very happy you got a lot out of your clinic and are enjoying the training plan. I hope that mostly you are enjoying swimming more than you used to.

2016-08-02 12:01 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Originally posted by AdventureBear

I don't know what Total Immersion is like but for me, I'm enjoying this plan so far and it's already getting me to the pool more often and I am not bored during my pool workouts. At worst, it will strictly improve my swim fitness level as a result of swimming more frequently. At best, I can see some improvement in my swim speed.

I was beckoned??? lol. TI is sparse on actual training plans...they have a few, but a lot of the institutional knowledge is buried in the forums. 3 TI Master coaches including myself therefore created our own book of practices, not a plan per se but could be easily used to craft one.

I'm very happy you got a lot out of your clinic and are enjoying the training plan. I hope that mostly you are enjoying swimming more than you used to.

HaHa. Yes. I figured a mention of Total Immersion would bring you out. The swim smooth plans are pretty good but they mostly follow a similar pattern so I'm sure the more I get a feel for them I can mix and match them or create my own. There's nothing crazy complex about them, it's just whether there are more drills or more hard interval sets or longer endurance type workouts. Yeah. I didn't hate swimming before but I never did many drills before and doing the drills actually is fun and keeps my mind occupied so time goes by pretty quickly.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » thoughts on swim smooth clinics Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Thoughts on this from Swim Smooth

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1246 Posts: 6

2012-12-15 4:19 AM gsmacleod

Olympics 1500m swim - Sun Yang - Mr. Smooth?

Started by breger1
Views: 2121 Posts: 9

2012-08-06 5:30 PM odpaul7

Multisport Clinic NYC- St. Luke's Roosevelt/Toughman triathlon Multisport clinic

Started by Richard Izzo
Views: 805 Posts: 1

2010-02-19 5:06 PM Richard Izzo

Swim Training - smooth or baggy?

Started by dblack1801
Views: 1522 Posts: 22

2009-05-06 8:58 AM Bioteknik

Swim Smooth, Total Immersion, etc

Started by usasportstraining
Views: 1050 Posts: 2

2006-12-30 6:04 PM stupidnickname
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 3, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 1
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on being efficient in the water. Learning how to swim smooth and efficiently is important to becoming a great swimmer.

date : March 4, 2009
author : nevergivin
comments : 5
Benefits of an underwater swim clinic to help correct your swimming stroke - plus a few swim tips to be mindful of.
date : May 7, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 1
If you have running problems or just want to improve your running, this video will serve to show you how a ChiRunning clinic is conducted and the philosophy behind it.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.