Set Up Events
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 5s
Overall Rank = 59/222
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 11/35
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15. Ate some toast, almonds, and a banana. Everything was packed up the night before, so I left at 4:35. Got there in plenty of time to get set up.

Ate a Gu about 20 mins before the start. Set up my bike with the aerodrink and a Gu taped to the top tube. I wasn't sure I was going to use the Gu, but I wanted to see how it would affect my run if I took it mid way through the bike.
Event warmup:

Swam about 100 yards. Water was warm and air temp was pretty warm as well. A little chilly getting out to wait for my wave, but not bad.
Swim
  • 15m 8s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim. I went out harder than in the past. I wanted to push it a bit to see how it would affect the bike and run. I am finding that my swim fitness is good enough to allow me to push it hard and recover pretty quickly in T1.

Not a lot of bumping, and things got spread out pretty quickly.

Used tinted goggles, which was a good choice. Sun was coming up and there was some glare on the way back.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Faster than last year by 8 seconds, so pretty consistent.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Very good transition. I am getting consistent in moving quickly and starting with a flying mount.

Everything was set up correctly (starting gear was good, shoes were open) and got into the shoes quickly.

Continue to move faster. Was 5th in my age group, and I improved from 3:08 in 2014 and 2:31 in 2015.
Bike
  • 49m 14s
  • 17 miles
  • 20.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Moving out of the park, there were quite a few people riding (slowly) on the left. I had to ask them to move over to get by. Overall I pushed pretty hard, but still held back.

Felt very comfortable on the turns and curves. Stayed on the aerobars almost the entire time.

I did take a gel about halfway through, but it upset my stomach slightly. Not really sure I needed it.

Ended up slower than in 2015 (48:23).

Continued bike training. Still feel like there is improvement that can be had, but overall I raced within my capabilities.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Good transition. Went sockless, so that helped.

I was really moving when I got off the bike and actually kept momentum as I dismounted. Again, continuing to have consistently good transitions.

I think improved endurance is helping me to move quickly and get out on the run quickly.

Not much. Continue to move quickly.Continued improvement over prior years (2014 = 4:04; 2015 = 2:31).

Run
  • 25m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Best run I've had in awhile. I felt pretty good compared to the last few races. I think my endurance has improved, although I did go easier on the bike.

I took a sip of water and felt pretty good overall. Pushed pretty hard the last half mile or so.

I think I need to get more comfortable with being uncomfortable. Need to push harder.

Continue working on run endurance. Continued longer runs.
Post race
Warm down:

4 bottles of water, a banana, a nutrigrain bar. Not much in the way of food after - they gave us a small publix bag with a banana and a Nutrigrain bar. A lot of water, but no Gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Endurance. I feel like I am getting better, but I am still afraid to push the bike too hard because of the impact on the run. Pacing continues to be a challenge.

I was about a minute and a half faster on the run, but a minute and a half slower on the bike. I gained about a minute and a half on transitions. I improved from 2015 by a minute and a half.

Event comments:

Good race. Pretty well organized, but really lacking in the post race food and drink. I like this race and do it every year.

Last updated: 2016-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:08 | 820 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/35
Overall: 46/222
Performance: Good
Garmin did not record the swim. I think I pushed the lap button at the start.
Suit: None
Course: Out and back around bouys that are spaced about 50 yards apart. Counterclockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:55
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:14 | 17 miles | 20.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/35
Overall: 61/222
Wind: Little
Course: Single loop after getting out of the park. Roads had a good amount of traffic that slowed me down at times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:06 | 03.1 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/35
Overall: 88/222
Course: Out and back with a slight detour to another out and back on the way back. Trail run that was pretty dry this year. Very hilly and crowded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2016-06-21 12:10 PM

User image

Pineville, North Carolina
Subject: Tri Latta Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Latta Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Latta Sprint Triathlon

Started by GBROCK45
Views: 1220 Posts: 1

2016-01-01 7:32 PM GBROCK45

Tri Latta Triathlon

Started by bgraboski
Views: 1975 Posts: 3

2010-06-15 6:58 AM bgraboski

Tri Latta Triathlon

Started by VicNeill
Views: 1457 Posts: 1

2010-06-14 5:51 AM VicNeill

Tri Latta Triathlon

Started by wsandford
Views: 1657 Posts: 3

2010-06-14 3:28 PM maria40nc

Tri Latta Triathlon

Started by kweezen
Views: 1504 Posts: 1

2010-06-12 12:22 PM kweezen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.