General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power of the Ironman Brand Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-21 10:06 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: Power of the Ironman Brand

I did the Vineman full back in 2014 and there were a grand total of 26 entrants in my age group.  This year, it has become Ironman branded and the same age group has 136 entrants.  I've got to admit I did a bit of grumbling when I heard of the change in ownership as it really had a local feel, great support on the course and in the community, and a reasonable entry fee.  I know that there has been a lot of discussion about local races being bought by WTC, but in this case it is not a bad turn.  As I understand, participant numbers had been dropping for this event and it was in danger of going away, but now that it has the Ironman logo on it, looks like it'll be around for a while. And that is a good thing as this is a great race.

2016-06-22 6:58 AM
in reply to: #5188048

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Power of the Ironman Brand
Yep. People love the brand especially the Americans.

We saw it with Chesapeakeman. And Challenge AC. Same great course(mild change on run), same great RD but sell out in 9 days or so when IM.
2016-06-22 7:26 AM
in reply to: TTom

Sarasota, Florida
2016-06-22 9:37 AM
in reply to: FELTGood

Sure people love the Ironman Brand but it's not solely the brand they love it's also that Ironman does a pretty good job of putting on an event. I've heard good things about Rev3 and will probably try them next year but they have far fewer events. HIITS series I always hear mixed opinions on. Then there are local half or full distance events which can be harder to find. They'll be cheaper but won't have all the frills of an Ironman event. That can certainly be okay but I do think that many people, especially newcomers, who have been training for many many months want the event to be big and with lots of frills. I know I do. I still race some local races because I enjoy them and want to support my local triathlon community but I have loved the Ironman events I've done.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power of the Ironman Brand Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ironman branded swag at half ironman events

Started by BuckHamilton
Views: 2439 Posts: 8

2013-10-02 11:08 AM badmo77a

Name brand bikes vs. Off brand bikes

Started by Live2ski
Views: 11577 Posts: 25

2012-01-04 10:38 AM japarker24

Clydesdale Division in Ironman Branded Races

Started by JonCT
Views: 3616 Posts: 6

2010-04-19 9:01 PM JonCT

"Ironman" Brand Races / Spirit of Racine Pages: 1 2

Started by jdbadger
Views: 2636 Posts: 37

2009-11-10 6:31 PM 1stTimeTri

Ironman Brand Pages: 1 2 3

Started by tri'n
Views: 4589 Posts: 54

2008-12-02 12:37 PM rc63413
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : January 20, 2009
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : May 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on training and racing with power meters, differences between power meters, Kona preparation, Ironman pacing and nutrition and Ironman swim seeding.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.