Sun Multisport Events
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 17m 54s
Overall Rank = 131/629
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 20/79
Pre-race routine:

My first 70.3!! Wife and I both did this and traveled to the race the day before. I got about five broken hours of hotel sleep the night before the race, which is about all I can really ask. I loaded up the sleep bank the days leading into the race, so I was good to go. Up at 4:20 and had a PB&J sandwich, a cup of coffee, and sipped down a full water bottle before the start. Got dressed, loaded up the car, and headed to the venue.
Event warmup:

About 10 minutes of splashing around in the water before the race. It was hardly a "warm up" though...more like a "get used to the water." And the water was beautiful.
Swim
  • 45m 19s
  • 2257 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am not a strong swimmer. I'm working on it and am getting better, but I still need a lot of work here. This was an out and back swim course and I did just fine the first half. I felt good and sighted well. Once I made the turn back though, the sun was on my breathing side and I could not see where I was going. I cut a buoy at the turn (oops), veered off course a couple of times, and had to pull up a few times to reorient and get back on track. I couldn't get in a groove and just swim. I was also in the second wave, so I got swam over, kicked, and bumped by a lot of people passing me. Fortunately the contact doesn't really bother me, but it just reminds me of how slow I am. Physically I had no problem with this and I could have gone another mile just fine, but I also didn't give it a hard effort like I know I can. I'll get there. Despite the sighting issues, this was still a nice confidence boost with IMMT 9 weeks away.
What would you do differently?:

Continue training, get more experience, work on bilateral breathing and sighting. Given where my swimming currently is though, I did ok.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

T1 was uneventful, which is a good thing. Stripped out of the wetsuit and into the bike gear just fine. I took 10 seconds to spray on some sunblock. It was warm without a cloud in the sky.

Go faster.
Bike
  • 2h 44m 42s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.40 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the best bike ride I've ever had. This was two loops of a 28 mile course. I averaged 20.3 mph on the first loop, and 20.3 mph on the second loop. I kept the effort moderate the first loop and wanted to pick it up from there, but I started to fatigue about 30 miles in. The effort got hard, but I was able to maintain my speed. The 56 miles were real steady. All the bike training this year is really paying off. I took in most of my race nutrition during the first 50 miles of the bike (three water bottles and about 1000 liquid calories). I finished the bike with rightfully tired legs, but I felt ready to run. I think this bike effort made my race.

Nothing. I think I executed the ride perfectly, both with the effort and the nutrition.
Transition 2
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

The run from the dismount to the bike rack is a couple hundred yards. It felt like forever. I ride with MTB shoes though so I am able to handle that run just fine. After swapping gear and quick portapotty stop, I was on my way (until I am in OA or AG contention, I refuse to pee on my bike).

Go faster. Maybe practice transitions.
Run
  • 1h 41m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I am a runner, and this my favorite part of the race. I always say, "Just get me to the run." I focused on keeping the effort in check the first 5-6 miles. Being my first HIM, I didn't know what to expect in the late miles and didn't want to crash. I concentrated on just going from one water station to the next instead of thinking about 13.1 hot miles. I carried my handheld bottle with Infinit and took a squirt at each water station (about 50 calories per squirt), washed down with a cup of water. With temps getting into the 80's with no shade protection, I really started to suffer in the second half of the run and started dumping water on me. I was able to maintain my pace in the heat, and was passing a lot of people. The last four miles were a real mental battle, as I was hurting and just wanted to be done. I ran steady though and did not fade. As I crossed the finish line, I was more exhausted than excited. A volunteer handed me my metal and a cold towel. I draped the towel over my head and plopped down on a chair. DONE.

Nothing. I ran this about as well as I could have. With a 1:30 stand alone HM PR, I am satisfied with my run. I think all the bike training this year helped my run a LOT. Last year my legs felt dead going into the run. This race, my run legs felt good and ready to go. Just keep training.
Post race
Warm down:

I sat in a chair for about 10 minutes and drank a full water bottle. After chatting with some friends/teammates, I stood by the finish line waiting for DW to finish. When she finished, we loaded up the car, hit the food tent, then headed home for burritos and tacos.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat. Also, I just need to keep training. This is my second year of triathlons and I still have limited bike and swim training. I can't wait to see where I am in a couple of years. Overall though, for my first attempt at a 70.3, I really could not have executed a better race. I am thrilled to have finished in the top 20%, as I would have been happy with a top half finish. My debut could not have gone much better.

Event comments:

I loved this race. Very well organized, nice and fast course, and the time trail start was perfect for me. Good swag and excellent post-race chow. I would love to do this one again.

Last updated: 2016-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:19 | 2257 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 69/79
Overall: 496/629
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:44:42 | 56 miles | 20.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/79
Overall: 186/629
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A very nice course through woodsy areas and along the water. Road conditions were a little rough in some sections, but overall plenty smooth. Plenty of police presence at intersections and turns. There was traffic on the roads but never affected my race. This is a flat course. Just a few inclines but no hills. I stayed in aero and in my big ring the entire time.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:41:53 | 13.1 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/79
Overall: 62/629
Performance: Good
Course: Not quite as flat as the bike. No big hills, but enough badly placed inclines to make you suffer a bit. One big loop with all left turns and very little shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-06-22 8:49 AM

User image

Subject: Patriot Half Triathlon

2016-06-22 9:27 AM
in reply to: #5188085

Subject: RE: Patriot Half Triathlon
Nice job!

I asked these questions on another report for this race, and I'd like to ask you too:

What was the water temperature?
Did you see people swimming without wetsuits?

Thanks very much!
2016-06-22 9:46 AM
in reply to: JCZ

User image

Originally posted by JCZ

Nice job!

I asked these questions on another report for this race, and I'd like to ask you too:

What was the water temperature?
Did you see people swimming without wetsuits?

Thanks very much!

I don't know what the water's race time temperature was but they posted on Facebook on Friday that it was 69 degrees. All I know is that I am a big wimp when it comes to the cold and I thought the water was beautiful. It felt nice the moment I stepped in for my warm up. I saw at least a couple of people without wetsuits.
2016-06-23 5:19 AM
in reply to: #5188085

User image

Connecticut
Nice job and excellent time! Especially for your first HIM. Thanks for the report.

Chris
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 3860 Posts: 19

2011-07-07 11:54 AM Dream Chaser

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by BradyFinney
Views: 1911 Posts: 4

2011-06-19 7:45 PM Rudedog55

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by FlyTheBlueSky
Views: 2932 Posts: 14

2012-05-01 1:41 PM gcoller

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 2727 Posts: 15

2011-06-20 6:17 PM trix

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by Joe84
Views: 1622 Posts: 2

2011-06-19 12:48 PM natethomas2000
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : November 16, 2010
author : Al1978
comments : 4
From the couch to a half Ironman the hard way.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.