General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Inhouse current pool or swim clinic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-23 8:01 PM

Subject: Inhouse current pool or swim clinic
I'm a slow swimmer. 1:41/100

I'm going to get some form of swim instruction. On option is a day long swim smooth swim clinic. Video analysis instruction in a small group setting. Another option is at a current pool at a tri shop for 1 hour with video analysis. Seems like the current pool session might be the better option. It's cheaper and I'm not sure how a day long clinic would benefit me more. Thoughts?

2016-06-24 5:51 AM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Inhouse current pool or swim clinic

Originally posted by TriTampa2 I'm a slow swimmer. 1:41/100 I'm going to get some form of swim instruction. On option is a day long swim smooth swim clinic. Video analysis instruction in a small group setting. Another option is at a current pool at a tri shop for 1 hour with video analysis. Seems like the current pool session might be the better option. It's cheaper and I'm not sure how a day long clinic would benefit me more. Thoughts?

First thing to understand is that any meaningful changes are going to take some time.  A good coach/instructor can quidkly identify technique flaws that will make a significant difference however, it takes time for you to incorporate those changes and make them permanent. A one time session, whether in the form of a clinic, a one-hour "lesson" or a one-off video session will indeed identify problems.  However, for any changes to become permanent, you need on-going feedback.

A problem you will often encounter in a clinic environment is that you aren't there alone.  There will likely be many other swimmers that also have technique issues.  In a clinic, you probably aren't going to get a great deal of one-on-one time.  Not impossible, and you may get some, but I've conducted enough clinics to know, one-on-one time is hard to offer when there is a large group, even with multiple coaches/instructors.  Again, even if you get the one-on-one time in a clinic and multiple flaws are identified, what happens the next day when you no longer have the feedback?  I don't conduct clinics that focus exclusively on technique improvement specifically for this reason.  For the cost of most swim clinics, you can likely secure multiple sessions spread over several weeks with a qualified coach on deck which will ultimately have a more positive impact upon your technique.

The best choice is multiple sessions with a qualified coach/instructor on deck so you have the on-going feedback and follow-up.  Next best is multiple video sessions with a qualified coach/instructor.  You will have the video to refer back to and ongoing feedback and follow-up.

Just my two-cents.

2016-06-24 7:12 AM
in reply to: k9car363

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by TriTampa2 I'm a slow swimmer. 1:41/100 I'm going to get some form of swim instruction. On option is a day long swim smooth swim clinic. Video analysis instruction in a small group setting. Another option is at a current pool at a tri shop for 1 hour with video analysis. Seems like the current pool session might be the better option. It's cheaper and I'm not sure how a day long clinic would benefit me more. Thoughts?

First thing to understand is that any meaningful changes are going to take some time.  A good coach/instructor can quidkly identify technique flaws that will make a significant difference however, it takes time for you to incorporate those changes and make them permanent. A one time session, whether in the form of a clinic, a one-hour "lesson" or a one-off video session will indeed identify problems.  However, for any changes to become permanent, you need on-going feedback.

A problem you will often encounter in a clinic environment is that you aren't there alone.  There will likely be many other swimmers that also have technique issues.  In a clinic, you probably aren't going to get a great deal of one-on-one time.  Not impossible, and you may get some, but I've conducted enough clinics to know, one-on-one time is hard to offer when there is a large group, even with multiple coaches/instructors.  Again, even if you get the one-on-one time in a clinic and multiple flaws are identified, what happens the next day when you no longer have the feedback?  I don't conduct clinics that focus exclusively on technique improvement specifically for this reason.  For the cost of most swim clinics, you can likely secure multiple sessions spread over several weeks with a qualified coach on deck which will ultimately have a more positive impact upon your technique.

The best choice is multiple sessions with a qualified coach/instructor on deck so you have the on-going feedback and follow-up.  Next best is multiple video sessions with a qualified coach/instructor.  You will have the video to refer back to and ongoing feedback and follow-up.

Just my two-cents.

I agree. The clinic is $299 vs the one on one current pool session which is $75. So I could obviously do multiple one hours sessions over like 6 months or so. The clinic is 10 people max and supposed to be two instructors.

Yeah. I'm definitely not expecting miracles from any swimming instruction. The more I've read about swimming it's certainly clear that there's not just a magic bullet that all of a sudden makes one faster. I don't have a specific swim speed I'm shooting for I'm just looking to improve. I'm not sure I imagine myself ever being considered fast but if I can be faster than I am and be more efficient in the water saving me some energy then I'll be happy.
2016-06-24 7:43 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by TriTampa2

Just my two-cents.

I agree. The clinic is $299 vs the one on one current pool session which is $75. So I could obviously do multiple one hours sessions over like 6 months or so. The clinic is 10 people max and supposed to be two instructors.

Yeah. I'm definitely not expecting miracles from any swimming instruction. The more I've read about swimming it's certainly clear that there's not just a magic bullet that all of a sudden makes one faster. I don't have a specific swim speed I'm shooting for I'm just looking to improve. I'm not sure I imagine myself ever being considered fast but if I can be faster than I am and be more efficient in the water saving me some energy then I'll be happy.

I did one of Sheila Taormina's swim clinics a few years back. While it was very enjoyable and I really liked Sheila, I felt like I got almost no individual instruction. I walked away feeling like I hadn't really gotten much real world improvement in my swim stroke. They did video us under water and sent me a digital copy and we got some nice lectures on training and optimum stroke. However, in the group setting, there was very minimal actual stroke correction. I would not do this particular format again.

Contrast that with my tank (continuous current pool) session at the Tweak in Canton, Michigan. Focused swim instruction. Multiple corrections in my stroke. Real time video analysis of the stroke with ongoing fixes. I felt like it was a great use of my time and money. I would much rather do 4 x $75 sessions in the tank with MY swim stroke as the only focus than go to a larger group session. If a 30 minute session is an option, I would consider 8 x 30 minutes. A whole hour of fixes can get pretty tiring and overwhelming.

If you are going to do a 'Tweak' session, I don't think you will be disappointed.
2016-06-24 8:12 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

I think they only have one hour sessions. I agree. I wish they had 30 minute sessions.
2016-06-25 3:45 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Just my two-cents.

A true 1:5 coach:student ratio is good for a group setting. Will they be only on deck or will they provide any hands on feedback on the water with you?

if you calculate doller/hour value, the clinic is abetter value. I don't know the content of their clincs but if it is anything similar in format to the clinics I run, we tend to go over an heirarchy of information that covers a bottom up view of swimming with hands on correction in skills. The swimmers all get the same instructoin but each swimmer may respond ot a different part of the clinic information differently. MOst swimmers get somethign valuable out of each part even if it's not their primary area of need.

Seeing other swimmers as your peers can help your learning progress faster as well as you see what others are doing and how they respond and when the coach is not working with you, you can probably practice the skill they just taught and make connections with other swimmers learning the same thing.

In a 1 on 1 session sometimes the coach (self included) tries to cover everything in an hour to show how comprehsive they are. This is far less valuable to you than getting just enough of what you need right now.

Of the two options if you can afford the $299 clinic and the full day, you may get a better overall value for a single session swim event.

One last thing...since this is a branded clinic, they probably cover standard content that has helped lots of other swimmers in the past. If you go to a non-affiliated independant coach you really need to review their experience, background and testimonials.

2016-06-25 4:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

I think they only have one hour sessions. I agree. I wish they had 30 minute sessions.

Is there any chance of splitting the hour with another swimmer? Cannot hurt to ask

2016-06-26 12:26 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Actually the clinic and one on one session have the same coach. The clinic is a swim smooth clinic.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Inhouse current pool or swim clinic Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

swimming against a strong current

Started by eggraid101
Views: 3902 Posts: 13

2019-09-23 1:07 PM xeon

Swimming in a strong current

Started by Bioteknik
Views: 633 Posts: 3

2009-06-15 6:22 PM Bioteknik

IMKY Swim - effect of the current

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1228 Posts: 13

2008-11-17 9:03 AM BamaDC

My gym pool, er recreation pool , lap swimming and venting

Started by rxman
Views: 2298 Posts: 19

2008-06-26 3:54 PM leesure

Pool Current?

Started by Swamp Lantern
Views: 710 Posts: 7

2005-04-19 6:04 AM andyc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : March 4, 2009
author : nevergivin
comments : 5
Benefits of an underwater swim clinic to help correct your swimming stroke - plus a few swim tips to be mindful of.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
comments : 0
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.
date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Most of us belong to groups and there will always be pressure to keep up. It may be underlying or it may be outright, but no doubt, that pressure to go faster is always there.
date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.