General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with prices Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-26 11:03 AM

Subject: Help with prices
I am in the market for my first bike (been borrowing other people's for a few months hahaha) and I have been scouring the craigslist ads to find something that wont break the bank. I am still debating on whether I want to go road bike or tri bike. My initial thought is a road bike may be a bit more versatile for me at this point and then later on I could always venture into a tri bike. I know I should go get fitted and would love something new, but right now I am on a tight budget.

Anyways I came across the following two bikes, but I just don't know enough about bikes right now to say how much these should be worth. My first impression is that they are priced a bit too high. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, anyone know anything about a Trek 1.5? I saw one on craigslist for really cheap like a couple hundred bucks. I know the stock parts are not great and I guess I could upgrade them, but it sounded like an ok bike to at least get me going.

All links are WFS.

Cannondale Caad10
https://cnj.craigslist.org/bik/5632286737.html

Cervelo P2C
https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/bik/5645735165.html

2016-06-26 9:03 PM
in reply to: cdoug55

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Help with prices
Both pretty high imo. Should be able to buy a new CAAD for that... which if that's around the budget isn't a terrible idea (if it fits you)

Best thing you can do is take a couple weeks to read everything you can, ask questions, become somewhat educated on what will suit your needs / expectations, and what a suitable price / compromise is.

A fair rule to go buy is to buy the best frame you can for the money, and of course one that fits like a glove is the ideal. Upgrading components is (relatively) cheap compared to buying frames.
2016-06-27 4:11 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

Thanks for the response. I figured the were really high. My budget is probably around $1000, so not quite sure I could get one brand new unless got some good discounts and it would probably need to be a Caad 8, no?

I have borrowed a Caad9 that was much too small for me 52cm and I am currently borrowing a Trek 2.3 (54cm). I believe I need a 56 cm frame based on my height (5'10"). I liked both bikes although the Caad9 had SRAM components and the shifting was never as smooth as the 105 components on the Trek. Problem is with both I would get some numbness after riding for about 45m-1hr. Obviously I think that has to do with fit and saddle.

I am just starting out, so I definitely feel like the Trek was enough bike for me. Any suggestions on bikes that would be similar to the Caad9 or Trek 2.3?

Right now I am looking at the following:
Caad8 Tiagra
Caad8 105
Trek 1.2c (but I don't know if the sora parts are not worth it)
Trek Emonda S4
Specialized Allez E5 Sport
Specialized Allez DSW Elite

Apparently the used Caad10 doesn't have pedals so I would have to buy a set. What would you say is a reasonable price with that in mind? I would be lookin at shimano 105 pedals so thats like another $100 something.

2016-06-28 5:38 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
That's a fine list of bikes.
FWIW you shouldn't pay any attention to the listed size of a bike. A 56 Trek and a 56 Cannondale can be completely different (there is no standard for how to measure a "56")

Ideally you get fit to the bike before you buy it... know your stack/reach #'s, etc. Pretty much everyone ignores that suggestion on their first bike purchase though. (It's like the jump in the Matrix) so the best suggestion really is to sit on the bike, test ride a couple of sizes, and hope that the salesman knows a little more about it than most do (and is honest)

FWIW I'm 5'10 and ride a 54 Caad, although I "could" fit on a 52 or 56 fairly easily.

On all the bikes listed you're going to end up with "race worthy" components. Stuff like Tiagra isn't sexy, but if you lose a race, you can be confident it wasn't because of your kit.

Almost no bike will come with pedals (unless the shop makes it a package deal.) 105 pedals are fine, but it's worth mentioning that shimano also sells PD-R540 pedals (which don't say 105 on them, but are pretty much the same pedal, albeit slightly heavier) for about half that or less, depending on how much you shop around. There are many different pedal styles, pick the ones you like. Shimano is what I use, but they are certainly not the only option.

Full bike used CAAD 10's end at around $1000-1200 on ebay. IMO any time you are looking for a fair price on something used, that is the best way to get a rough idea.
2016-06-28 11:50 AM

User image

Aledo, Texas

Bicycle Blue Book (www.bicyclebluebook.com) is a helpful place to get an idea for bike value.

2016-06-28 2:36 PM
in reply to: LundyLund

Thanks for the responses guys. I checked bicycle blue book, but I wasn't sure if those prices assume a fair amount of miles being ridden each year.

I am going to test out a few of those bikes I listed new in a few shops by me and go from there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with prices Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help on quality & price for starter bike.

Started by Stuartap
Views: 2145 Posts: 10

2012-07-15 5:37 PM pitt83

Cannondale CAAD9 2008 pricing, help!

Started by chelseamd89
Views: 1319 Posts: 2

2012-02-28 4:17 PM EKH

bike price help

Started by wipate
Views: 475 Posts: 1

2008-04-22 2:26 PM wipate

Need help .....bike price

Started by tri42
Views: 522 Posts: 4

2007-01-30 2:03 PM tri42

Fair price for this used bike...????Help please

Started by annabananamc
Views: 1276 Posts: 4

2006-07-07 8:05 AM Wookiee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : March 4, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 4
When shopping for triathlon bike aerobars, considerations range from adjustability, comfort, aerodynamics, weight, and of course, price.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.