General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2 weeks to train for a sprint tri any ideas? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-27 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: 2 weeks to train for a sprint tri any ideas?
So its not really that bad as I have already done 2 HIM's this year and one sprint. however I have had to take it easy for a few weeks because of medical issues (non muscle related) long and short of it my endurance is good but I have not done much speed work for a few weeks.

Is it possible to really hammer the bike and run speed work for tens days to get back close to optimal speeds to put up a good time.

Also has anyone experience racing with lower hemoglobin levels.

Really want to race but also want to go fast

2016-06-27 3:44 PM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: 2 weeks to train for a sprint tri any ideas?
You are over worrying how much speed you have actually lost. Relax, it might not be the best sprint you have done, but it won't be as bad as you expect.
2016-06-27 7:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 2 weeks to train for a sprint tri any ideas?
I was in a similar situation a few years ago but not with medical issues, just a family vacation that precluded any kind of race-focused training. We had been in Europe for about four and a half weeks--about half of that was on two bike tours, but they were with Mom (in her 70's) at her pace... I tried to get in some training by carrying all the gear and sometimes doing a couple of repeats up the hills while she struggled up once. I think I only got in three or four runs/swims each, and no speedwork. We returned about ten days before the race.

What helped for me was just putting in short pickups at race effort/pace (you may need to modify that if there are still medical issues affecting performance) during steady training sessions in all three sports. For example, throw in a set of 10-12 one minute-long tempo pickups with two minutes recovery in the course of a 45-60 minute run, or some 2-5-minute pickups in a 60-90 minute ride, or a set of 50's alternating easy, build, and hard effort in the pool. It will help you regain "feel" for race effort, while not wearing you out for the race or putting you at risk of injury.. In my case, I had a very solid base of training coming into the vacation (I had done an Oly PB about a month before leaving) and I ended up doing my fastest sprint at the time and winning my AG.

If you are competing with low hemoglobin.....expect it to be more difficult. It will feel like doing a race at altitude. I have struggled with low/borderline levels several times (to some extent as a normal response to living/training in the tropics--one becomes "functionally anemic" due to increased blood volume), and it makes everything more difficult. Modify pacing to reflect how you are feeling--probably to use effort and/or heart rate rather than pace or power.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-06-27 7:29 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2 weeks to train for a sprint tri any ideas? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

7 week sprint tri training plan

Started by Bigdave001
Views: 949 Posts: 1

2013-03-02 9:26 PM Bigdave001

1 week before Sprint Tri but training for Oly

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 850 Posts: 6

2010-07-17 4:20 PM Experior

Ironman 9 weeks apart training ideas

Started by Jungle Jenn
Views: 992 Posts: 3

2009-09-29 3:09 PM Superk75

Sprint 2 weeks after Olympic....training plan ideas?

Started by boneyBP
Views: 834 Posts: 6

2008-09-10 3:26 PM boneyBP

4 weeks to train for first tri-a sprint

Started by ghansen
Views: 743 Posts: 6

2006-09-10 5:22 PM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I have my first tri coming up and I want to know how much I should train on race week and when do I stop completely?

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. The maximum volume is around 7 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : May 9, 2005
Athletes should have completed at least one Olympic distance triathlon or swim 500 yards consecutively / bike 15 mile consecutively / run 3 miles consecutively.

date : May 9, 2005
Sprint distance athletes should have completed 1-3 sprints and/or be able to swim 200 yards consecutively / bike 8 mile consecutively / run 1.5 miles consecutively.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 12 week, 1 race plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.