General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can you recommend a triathlon coach for getting fast at the Olympic distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-29 2:39 PM

User image

Subject: Can you recommend a triathlon coach for getting fast at the Olympic distance

As the title says, I'm looking for a coach who can get me to the next level at the Olympic distance. I'm probably in about 2:15 shape now (we'll see in a few weeks), but by next summer I want to be significantly faster. 

Any recommendations? I'm 26, male, live in Finland but would prefer to work with an English- or Swedish-speaking coach. I'm not looking for just a program, I want actual coaching.

Because of the situation with the brittish pound and all, a UK coach would probably be preferrable from an economical point of view  

I liked the look of Simon Ward's coaching (http://thetriathloncoach.com/triathlon-coaching-services/triathlon-coaching/) and t2coaching (http://www.t2coaching.co.uk). 

My budget is probably capped at around 150 GBP (200 USD), but that's gotta be a really good coach, or I'll not go quite as high.

I appreciate your help

2016-06-29 6:40 PM
in reply to: #5189022

Subject: RE: Can you recommend a triathlon coach for getting fast at the Olympic distance
Www.triathloncoaching.uk.com

Brilliant coaching, different packages starting at £8.50 per week
2016-06-30 9:35 AM
in reply to: MikaelEriksson

User image

Subject: RE: Can you recommend a triathlon coach for getting fast at the Olympic distance
American, but awesome group of coaches. I personally use Karleen and she is awesome! No limits on communication and they simply love their job (not just pushing a specific program).

https://www.bsrx3.com/our-coaches/
2016-06-30 4:29 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

There are two who contribute here regularly who I'd highly recommend.

One is my mentor coach, Suzanne Atkinson.  www.steelcityendurance.com She's coached the women's US national and world champion in non-draft Olympic distance triathlon and duathlon last year and this year.  Her username here is AdventureBear.  

Another is Shane MacLeod. I'm not sure if he still is, but he used to the the Nova Scotia provincial team coach.

2016-06-30 5:02 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would not limit yourself to UK coaches unless you are hoping for someone who can work with you face-to-face and be at some of your races. There are lots of great coaches and many/most are happy to work with an athlete, especially a more experienced one, mostly or entirely in an online relationship. I live/work in Vietnam most of the year and for about the past year have been coached by someone in the US. We have never met face-to-face. I've been pretty happy with it. I've been focusing mainly on the half-iron distance for the past year, but I know she works with people who specialize in a variety of distances and at a variety of levels. including some elite/ITU athletes. You can PM me if you want more info. The fee would be well within your parameters.
2016-07-03 9:11 AM
in reply to: loops

User image

Brilliant, thank you for all your suggestions, I'll be sure to check them out.

And Hot Runner, I'll PM you so check your inbox!

Thanks a lot

-Mikael

2016-07-03 9:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by MikaelEriksson
Brilliant, thank you for all your suggestions, I'll be sure to check them out.

And Hot Runner, I'll PM you so check your inbox!

Thanks a lot

-Mikael

out of curiousity, what does that 2h15 look like in terms of s,b and r ?

ever consider a single sport coach for your weakness ?

Edited by marcag 2016-07-03 9:54 AM
2016-07-03 9:30 PM
in reply to: #5189022

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Check out my site and let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help!

www.tzcoaching.com

Also, I know they are starting to do more stuff internationally but you can try using the "find a coach" feature on Trainingpeaks.com
2016-07-04 8:19 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Oh, one other plug for Suzanne...she already works with international athletes.  For example, she just started working with an athlete in Moscow.

And, by the way, I didn't jump in and suggest myself, because my specialty is working with the average AGer who has significant challenges to overcome, such as injuries, chronic illness, or work schedules that make traditional training schedules impossible to follow.

2016-07-05 8:59 AM
in reply to: #5189465

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Thanks for the recommendation Don! We have 4coaches in our group working with all levels and distances of athletes.

Just visit the site and look around if you like. We are implementing 2 additional tiers of coaching as well starting this month due to athlete requests
2016-07-06 2:21 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

marcag - I haven't done an Olympic yet this year (first one is 31 July). But in a the sprint nationals three weeks ago I swam 7:57 for a 500 m swim (shortened due to temperature), biked 34:21 for 21 k (36.8 km/h average) and ran 18:31 for 5 k (3:42 / km). 

I do have a friend of mine coach me once a week in swimming for technique and skills, although she doesn't make the rest of my program. But it's extremely useful having her on the deck, and has got me quite far since I started swimming in April 2015. 

tzcoaching - sent you an email!

TriMyBest, AdventureBear - Thanks, actually yours was one of the first options I looked at since I know of Suzanne's credentials from before. Unfortunately, you're (rightly so!) out of my budget Suzanne, but maybe some day Don, I appreciate your sincerity! 

2016-07-06 2:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by MikaelEriksson

marcag - I haven't done an Olympic yet this year (first one is 31 July). But in a the sprint nationals three weeks ago I swam 7:57 for a 500 m swim (shortened due to temperature), biked 34:21 for 21 k (36.8 km/h average) and ran 18:31 for 5 k (3:42 / km). 

I do have a friend of mine coach me once a week in swimming for technique and skills, although she doesn't make the rest of my program. But it's extremely useful having her on the deck, and has got me quite far since I started swimming in April 2015. 

tzcoaching - sent you an email!

TriMyBest, AdventureBear - Thanks, actually yours was one of the first options I looked at since I know of Suzanne's credentials from before. Unfortunately, you're (rightly so!) out of my budget Suzanne, but maybe some day Don, I appreciate your sincerity! 

Well given you can run, you have a swim coach and your bike is not 2:15 material, personally, given you know something about balancing things, I would hire a cycling coach. But that's just one opinion. Good cycling coaches are easier to find than good tri coaches (IMO).
2016-07-28 4:54 PM

Are you still looking for a coach to help you get fast? I may be able to help you. If you found someone, that's great.
--Chad Safran
USAT Certifired Level 1 coach
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can you recommend a triathlon coach for getting fast at the Olympic distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Recommend stock/canned IM plans w Power?

Started by tallytom
Views: 1695 Posts: 10

2013-10-26 7:48 PM tallytom

Sprint distance or Olympic distance

Started by jamesy92
Views: 1949 Posts: 11

2013-06-21 9:33 AM Portlander

Recommend coach

Started by SHLD2005
Views: 822 Posts: 3

2010-10-11 4:07 PM AndrewMT

Help me swim faster - recommend a swim workout

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1130 Posts: 4

2009-08-28 10:05 AM tkd.teacher

Favorite I'm getting faster moment

Started by sue7013
Views: 1038 Posts: 5

2004-10-17 1:20 PM jkbostic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2012
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is there an 8-12 week plan to improve technique and strength on the bike, with some running in it as well?

date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?
date : November 16, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on a good stroke count, getting faster on the swim, swim drills to get faster, recommended swim drill time and 'my wetsuit is making me slow'.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.

date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
We take a tour through Colorado Premier Training's wind tunnel. Mark Cote explains how it works and how getting a wind tunnel bike fit can be one of your most important tools in getting faster.