General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit Suggestions - Trek 2.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-01 4:43 PM

Subject: Bike Fit Suggestions - Trek 2.3
So I am in the process of buying my first bike. As some of you know I recently got into triathlons this spring and have been borrowing a few bikes in the meantime. Currently I am borrowing a 2010 Trek 2.3 (shown in the youtube link below) which is a 54cm. I will be going into the LBS to get some basic fitting done and look at some new bikes; however, the owner of the Trek offered me a pretty good deal on this bike if I wanted it. I like the way it rides and handles just not sure if it is too small for me. I know you should take size charts with a grain of salt and the best thing to do is go to the shop, but I thought perhaps some of the more knowledgeable folks here could take a look at the video and let me know if there are any glaring problems or if I could get away with this bike but perhaps just go get a fitting done. I would love to buy new but I am on a pretty tight budget and that is why I am considering taking this bike off my friend's hands. Also, because at the price I could eventually add some aero bars and whatever other tweaks I wanted to and probably be at the price of a new bike.

Any advice would be welcome. Sorry if the video is not great. Thanks!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpXG9SYq0Ro

2016-07-05 4:17 PM
in reply to: cdoug55

Subject: RE: Bike Fit Suggestions - Trek 2.3
Gonna bump this for some general opinions. Everyone I have spoken with has indicated that a 54cm is too small for me and I would probably be more in the range of a 56 cm. A friend offered this Trek to me for $500 which is about the most I can afford at this point. So here are my options:

1. Buy the Trek and just deal with it being slightly small and continue to ride and train;

2. Return the trek to my friend and be without a bike until I can possibly afford something which may not be until next summer, so no riding and no training until then; or

3. Try to find something on craigslist which is a 56cm for $500 which isn't terrible (although I think this may be pretty difficult because that is a pretty low price).
2016-07-05 6:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cdoug55

Gonna bump this for some general opinions. Everyone I have spoken with has indicated that a 54cm is too small for me and I would probably be more in the range of a 56 cm. A friend offered this Trek to me for $500 which is about the most I can afford at this point. So here are my options:

1. Buy the Trek and just deal with it being slightly small and continue to ride and train;

2. Return the trek to my friend and be without a bike until I can possibly afford something which may not be until next summer, so no riding and no training until then; or

3. Try to find something on craigslist which is a 56cm for $500 which isn't terrible (although I think this may be pretty difficult because that is a pretty low price).

there are still options I believe on that bike.
Does seat go much higher ? Stem seems to be short ? No spacers ?

There are things that can be done to make that bike "bigger"

2016-07-06 7:15 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Here is the info on that bike, page 86 gives you the geometry.

http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fisher-Klein-Lemond/2010trekroad.p...

On the home page of this site they give a fit guide.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/

I have found that if you take the time to do it(not long) this fit guide puts you on good fitting bike. The main dimensions to look at being the effective top tube length and the stand over height. If these 2 bike dimensions are in the range the fit guide tells you, the bike will fit pretty good. That does not mean it fits now. It means it can be tweeked for you without much difficulty.

I know you are crunched for money, however if the basic frame is too small you are not going to be happy with that bike for long. You may be now because you do not know any better, but body parts will start hurting, you will not be comfortable. You will either stop riding, or go spend money on another bike.

Friend of mine bought a bike the same way (it was a 60) he was never comfortable on it. Soon realized it was too big, a couple years later bought another bike (used again), this time bought a 56 and guess what it's too small. he went to a fitter with it AFTER he bought it and the fitter told him it was too small. He is still riding it after 3 years because I think his wife would kill him if he tried to buy another.

Take your time buying a bike, most people make the mistake of rushing into it and have one within a couple weeks. When I bought my tri bike I spent 7 months to buy it.
2016-07-06 2:28 PM
in reply to: mike761

Thanks guys really appreciate the help. I will take the measurements and work with the fit guide and see what I come up with. I definitely don't want to rush this, but I just don't want to be without a bike because that would effectively mean no training and no racing. I have a few more months that I can probably borrow the Trek, so I do have some time. I just don't see finding many good used bikes for $500 or under....or am I totally wrong lol.

I have been riding it for a couple months and the only real complaints are with groin numbness which I figured was just due to the saddle, but I guess it could be fit issues, correct?

I could definitely raise the seat post more, but I had adjusted it to what I believe should be my saddle height. Would the typical calculations not hold true if the bike is small or is just raising the saddle one of the ways to accommodate a smaller frame?
2016-07-06 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cdoug55

Thanks guys really appreciate the help. I will take the measurements and work with the fit guide and see what I come up with. I definitely don't want to rush this, but I just don't want to be without a bike because that would effectively mean no training and no racing. I have a few more months that I can probably borrow the Trek, so I do have some time. I just don't see finding many good used bikes for $500 or under....or am I totally wrong lol.

I have been riding it for a couple months and the only real complaints are with groin numbness which I figured was just due to the saddle, but I guess it could be fit issues, correct?

I could definitely raise the seat post more, but I had adjusted it to what I believe should be my saddle height. Would the typical calculations not hold true if the bike is small or is just raising the saddle one of the ways to accommodate a smaller frame?

the bike is too small when you have 3 inches of spacers and 200mm of stem and there is 1/2 inch of seat post left in the seat tube :-) I am exagerating.

there is a "perfect" fit and there is reality of having a bike. A balance can be found.
Not sure what model it is but for example I sold a 56cm Gaint TCR (alu with carbon fork and seat post) with full Ultegra for $700 cdn which is less tha $600 US.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit Suggestions - Trek 2.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fuji Norcom 2.3 or 2.5

Started by intherasmus
Views: 1316 Posts: 3

2014-11-21 1:30 PM TonyO

Just Had Guru Fit - Help with Stack and Reach and Bike Suggestions

Started by PaulZ323
Views: 2733 Posts: 13

2014-02-20 9:20 AM Piche

Bike fit + bike + bike fit?

Started by JRL
Views: 3314 Posts: 10

2011-09-26 12:10 AM jawgee

Bike Fit suggestions/critque

Started by rbtripp5485
Views: 792 Posts: 8

2011-07-01 5:55 PM rbtripp5485

NEW Trek 2009 EX8 Bike $1,500, NEW Trek 2009 EX 5.5 Bike $1,000

Started by aminat001
Views: 3234 Posts: 5

2010-03-23 12:59 PM autigers_1998
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2016
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Bike position for triathletes: back, legs, abs, arms and more

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.

date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.

date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.
date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.

date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.