General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2 weeks until my first Tri-a-Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-03 8:59 AM

Subject: 2 weeks until my first Tri-a-Tri
Hi Everyone,

First of all, I want to say how much I have loved being a member of BT.
The training plans are amazing and helped me get from couch potato to feeling pretty good about my first mini sprint.
I am a 52-year-old woman and in 2 weeks I will be doing my very first tri-a-tri and am feeling a bit nervous.
Is a tri suit really necessary? Do you cycle in the tri suit...what do you do for the run? Any advice for a noobie in terms of what to bring,
what to eat leading up to the event and anything else that might be helpful would be greatly appreciated.

Really excited and can see how this can be truly addicting!!

Alexandra

2016-07-03 9:37 AM
in reply to: #5189408

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: 2 weeks until my first Tri-a-Tri
Welcome to the madhouse! What are the distances of your race? A trisuit isn't stirctly necessary, you can race in just about anything you are comfortable in. Trisuits are nice because they are designed for purpose. If you are comfortable, you can ride and run in your swimsuit, or toss a pair of shorts or shirt over the top of it in T1/2 for a particular leg--be warned though, putting clothes on a wet body is hard.

Eating beforehand is pretty simple for short distances. Just don't overindulge on fiber in the couple of days before and you should be fine.

Most important--have fun! Enjoy the day!
2016-07-03 10:41 AM
in reply to: #5189411

User image

, North Carolina
Tri suit is not necessary. Nor is tri specific clothing. What have you been swimming in? What have you been biking in?

I'd get at least one work out in with what you plan to race in. Doesn't need to be a simulated race. But, swim bike run in what you plan on wearing.

As for eating, know your body. How soon can you eat before a work out and not have stomach problems? I like to have my last food 2.5-3 hours before race time.

Getting good sleep tue/wed/their will help a ton. You probably won't sleep well the night before but good sleep leading up won't make a difference.

If you consume a lot of caffeine try and lay off for a week. Then that cup of coffee pre race will help a ton.

2016-07-03 11:39 AM
in reply to: 0

Greetings and welcome. As a fellow adult-onset triathlete who did his first tri last year at the tender age of 60 I say it's never too late to join in the fun.

When I do sprint or olympic distances I will wear my tri shorts, which offer some small amount of padding for the bike but can be worn under a wetsuit and used for swim, bike and run. I don't have a tri shirt...I just throw on a tech tee or bike jersey. I just finished a half Ironman and opted to go full bike shorts (which I put on in T1) and then a change to running shorts in T2. Does this take more time? Yes. I suppose at some time I will be concerned about shaving transition time but for now I am into finishing...in comfort.

As for pre-race meals, I have to confess that I did nothing different before the HIM. I slugged down a big plate of sauteed vegetables and chicken apple sausage with a couple of fried eggs on the top...but I have an iron constitution. I ate a few hours before I went in the water. I don't do wheat or taters so I didn't want to do anything different carb wise on my race day breakfast. I did fuel during the half with GU and Clif bars / bloks, but in a sprint you shouldn't have to worry about that. Your experience may differ.

Savor the experience of your first triathlon. There is nothing like the feeling of crossing the finish line that first time.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-07-03 11:43 AM
2016-07-04 7:26 PM
in reply to: #5189408

Enjoy it! You are blessed with the health required to attempt such things. Really soak it in. Talk to those around you as well. many nice people in the tri community.
2016-07-04 11:25 PM
in reply to: nottooshabby

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi Alexandra, welcome to BT.

I had a look at your profile and your training manual.  You don't need to have any special gear for your first triathlon just consider this race a very important "Learning Experience".  As someone else said - Wear what you workout in.  Don't worry about your times just go as comfortably fast as you can and pay attention to what goes right, what goes wrong and how you can do your next one better.

It is very normal to be nervous.

Have you practiced open water swimming?  Will you wear a wetsuit or a bathing suit?  I wear my tri shorts under my wetsuit or just as a swimsuit if we're not allowed a wetsuit.  I also run in my tri shorts on race day.  If your swim is in a lake you must practice in the lake.  It is not like swimming in a pool.  Do you know any local tri groups or multisport stores where you can talk to people about your tri?

Eat carbs with low fibre and low protein for breakfast before a race.  Bananas, bagel, anything you can tolerate comfortably.

I looked at your training manual and it doesn't look like you are doing a lot of cycling or running either.  Do you have a good base fitness level?  Can you swim, bike and run the distances?

Have fun in your race and come back and let us know how you make out.

2016-07-06 5:30 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

Hi George,

Thanks for responding and for your feedback.
I am doing the BT "couch potato" to mini sprint 10-week aggressive plan. The cycling is no problem and I have greatly improved my running and swimming while on the plan. However, I am still not comfortable running 2.5 km or swimming 400m but working on it daily.
I have a manual on BT??

Cheers, Alexandra
2016-07-06 8:29 PM
in reply to: #5189545

User image

You'll do great! Don't over analyze...trust your training, don't go out too fast and enjoy the day!
2016-07-07 11:33 AM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

Thanks and wish me luck!
2016-07-07 2:53 PM
in reply to: nottooshabby

User image

Extreme Veteran
remember it will hurt sometime during the race just keep going. and #1 have fun
2016-07-07 4:56 PM

Originally posted by NJBIll

Don't over analyze...

Unless, of course, you enjoy that sort of thing. I think it's part of my attraction to this endeavor. I'm at my best when I can let my obsessive flag fly.

You won't forget your first race. Take a moment here and there to look around.
Wear whatever the heck you want that's comfortable. I raced in longer events for a couple years in swim jammers and t-shirts...while riding a hybrid.

It's your best chance to giggle at the lycra'ed-up freaks....

Before you become one of them, of course.

Edited by jhaack39 2016-07-07 4:58 PM

2016-07-07 8:22 PM

Quote: Wear whatever the heck you want that's comfortable. I raced in longer events for a couple years in swim jammers and t-shirts...while riding a hybrid. It's your best chance to giggle at the lycra'ed-up freaks....Before you become one of them, of course. End Quote

I like your style. I am not a slave to convention nor do I really care what supercilious people might think about my look. Just did a HIM run in a SF Giants tech T shirt. Representing my favorite team...just sayin'

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-07-07 8:24 PM
2016-07-09 6:30 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

Ha Ha — I hear ya!
Thanks for the support and wise words.

I am super excited and have already signed up for a few more mini sprints this season.

Alexandra
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2 weeks until my first Tri-a-Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

7 weeks until first sprint tri

Started by Longhorn1981
Views: 1484 Posts: 12

2013-03-12 10:52 AM roamingseaside

Help!!! 2 Weeks until First Tri

Started by slowfatbeginner
Views: 641 Posts: 6

2011-08-29 4:04 AM jaja63

Introduction - 13 weeks until my first tri

Started by adadagain
Views: 1253 Posts: 5

2011-06-13 8:30 PM Blurr26

One week until first Tri

Started by garrunning
Views: 1265 Posts: 5

2011-05-31 10:18 AM dmbfan4life20

Feeling sick and only 2 weeks left until my first tri

Started by scottsgrl
Views: 849 Posts: 4

2006-07-31 8:56 AM katiefrog15
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : August 20, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I have my first tri coming up and I want to know how much I should train on race week and when do I stop completely?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.