Running Alliance Sport
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 42m 20s
Overall Rank = 110/822
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/54
Pre-race routine:

I signed up for this race a couple weeks back because I was feeling the need to race some more, and figured it would be "fun"....in a brutal kind of way. I also needed some motivation to run outside again because I'd been doing all of my training on the treadmill recently (and after this race, will resume my treadmill-only running until....October??). Heat indices were forecasted to be around 105F all weekend; by 7am, it was still 84F, with a "feels like" temp in the mid-90's!

People were shooting off fireworks the night before, so I didn't sleep particularly well. Alarm went off at 5am and I was out of the house by 5:30 and to the race site by 6am. I'd spaced out about picking up my packet on Friday and Saturday, so I needed to do that on the morning of the race and wanted to give myself plenty of time....I had more than enough!

Event warmup:

Picked up my packet, peed, drank some water, and ran for a few minutes to get the HR up....only took a few minutes and I was already pouring out sweat!

Run
  • 42m 20s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Even though this is a 5 mile race, with the heat and humidity, I expected my pace would be somewhere between 10k and HM. Marc suggested going out at a 7:45 pace (10k pace) and capping the HR at 165 for the first half. I seeded myself too far back at the start and wasted some energy working my way through the crowd, but was mostly going by feel at this point. The heat hadn't started to affect me yet and the first mile clicked off at 7:44 and felt manageable. I thought I could hold on and make this work....I continued to run by feel and when the second mile clicked off and I looked at the time, I realized the heat was starting to get to me as my pace had already started slipping!

During the first two miles, there was a girl who kept pulling away and then dropping back to me, but I could never seem to get in front of her. Sometime after the second mile, I finally did pass her and saw a friend of mine up the road. I focused on slowly working my way up toward him.....right about mile three, I caught him and said, "Stay with me!" He did....and then he pulled away and I held "steady" and reeled him back in; he did this one more time, and then he fell off my pace and I was back to running solo again until I eventually saw another friend in front of me. I worked on reeling her in and she eventually took a walk break and I passed her.....and then she started running again and passed me quickly....and then walked and I passed her again, waiting and listening for her to pass me again.....she didn't.

Very few people passed me through four miles in the race, even though I was positive splitting every mile (ugh!). Clearly, the heat was getting to others as badly as it was getting to me. Between 4 and 4.5, a guy in a yellow shirt passed me looking really strong, and then a friend of mine (diesel engine....I knew she was coming!!) passed me and said, "This race may have been a bad idea" and I replied, 'Yes, definitely a bad idea!!!", and then this lady passed me and we exchanged a couple words before she told me that I'd been her pace rabbit all the way to this point -- glad I could help, bummed that I blew up and couldn't hold on any longer!

By the end, all I wanted to do was keep my pace under 9 min/mile, but I couldn't quite make it happen. I couldn't believe how hot it was and how much sweat was pouring out....and all I could think was, "I never want to run outside in Houston's summer again!!" And now that I'm done with this race, I'm going back to treadmill running exclusively....until it stops being so stupidly hot! But also, I want to go back and run sub-40 because I know I should be able to....so I'll probably sign up for this same torture again next year! I'm a glutton for punishment like that ;)

In the end, this was at my current HM PR pace, but felt like a 5k effort! Based on my VDOT (from my last 5k), this was actually marathon pace....and with the conditions, I barely hung on for five miles! :P

What would you do differently?:

Maybe run with a bottle (maybe one that's been frozen or has ice in it??), probably should have gone out more conservatively since I really figured this would be closer to HM pace than 10k pace

Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a couple bottles of water, stuck some ice in my top, laid down and made a sweat angel, and then went back out to cheer people on as they were finishing....it's one of the few times that I've been completely soaked with sweat and never got chilled later -- just too stinking hot and humid!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and humidity first and foremost, but also doing a long run the day before, long ride two days before, and generally treating this race as a training day

Event comments:

Despite the heat, the RD puts on a really good race (now if only they could air condition the city!). Good communication, tons of volunteers, everything on time, food and water (and "beer") available at the finish, and times posted almost immediately

Last updated: 2016-07-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:20 | 05 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/54
Overall: 110/822
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-07-05 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: Baytown Bud Heat Wave
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Baytown Bud Heat Wave Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bud's Run

Started by Wolfofautumn
Views: 814 Posts: 1

2010-06-26 9:33 AM Wolfofautumn

Bud Beatty Memorial Swim

Started by kalalau
Views: 1651 Posts: 3

2009-08-17 2:01 PM kalalau

Red Bud Classic 5k

Started by Kin
Views: 566 Posts: 1

2007-04-27 2:33 PM Kin

Run for the Buds

Started by Xnuke
Views: 814 Posts: 1

2006-05-06 8:47 PM Xnuke

Anheuser-Busch Bud Run 2004

Started by viable
Views: 857 Posts: 5

2004-09-18 10:38 PM ropkins
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : GaryRM
comments : 1
Underwater Audio short-cord swim bud review.

date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat
date : September 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
Heat stress, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke: How do these relate to hydration? Can I be well hydrated and still suffer heat stress?

date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.
date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?

date : July 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.