General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Fustration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-07-08 8:43 AM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

Subject: RE: Swim Fustration
You have lots of suggestions here. I think Total Immersion is a great tool for adult swimmers.

As to your question of finding a swim coach. Another resource is to visit usms.org - the website for US Masters Swimming. They list all the coaches that they have certified in teaching adults to swim. You might find a person close to home.

I think good in person lessons are the fastest ways to make change in all sports including swimming.

I have only one thing to what has already been said below that you can practice outside the pool. That is that most adult swimmers (including me) struggle with putting our head down enough in the water in relation to our arms/ shoulders. Our shoulder flexibility isn't usually all that great and I can just speak to myself but I thought my head was way down until I was instructed where it should be. You can practice this position out of the water by putting your hands over your head and interlocking your hands so that your arms are tight against your head. Streamline is what my coach calls this position. Your ears should be in front of your arms. Well mine aren't all the way in front because my streamline is pretty awful compared to a true swimmer. But that's the target for where you want your head/shoulders while you swim. I found it helpful to get familiar with that position outside the water and then work to reproduce it while I was swimming.

Good luck and have fun!

2016-07-11 8:18 PM
in reply to: #5189665

User image

Connecticut
Just wanted to update and thank everyone for the advice.

I read total immersion, hit the pool everyday except for 1 since posting this originally. And today id say I was able to complete my first "work out". Last week I couldn't swim 15m without popping up. Today I swam 15 laps (25m) with minor stops, awesome breathing. I even sucked in water on one breath, skipped the breath, and recovered on the next stroke.

So pumped.
2016-07-11 9:49 PM
in reply to: #5190434

User image

Total immersion is the way to go....swim slower and concentrate on technique rather than speed. I taught myself bi -lateral breathing by breathing facing the same set of lane ropes going down and back the pool. On the way down breathing on my right side, coming back breathing on my left side...over time, it worked
2016-07-11 9:59 PM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by kmonie360

Just wanted to update and thank everyone for the advice.

I read total immersion, hit the pool everyday except for 1 since posting this originally. And today id say I was able to complete my first "work out". Last week I couldn't swim 15m without popping up. Today I swam 15 laps (25m) with minor stops, awesome breathing. I even sucked in water on one breath, skipped the breath, and recovered on the next stroke.

So pumped.

Omg that's fantastic! I am so happy for you ))))
Great job!
2016-07-12 10:29 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

, North Carolina
That's awesome. Keep up the good work.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Fustration Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Swim Swam Swum

Started by Robert Reynolds
Views: 1766 Posts: 12

2006-07-09 3:21 PM Robert Reynolds

Tri Swim Coach Swim Workshop 9/11/04- Denver, CO

Started by Tri Swim Coach
Views: 1029 Posts: 5

2004-08-23 11:49 AM Tri Swim Coach

How to navigate or swim in a straight line when swimming freestyle

Started by steven
Views: 2501 Posts: 7

2004-06-28 6:19 PM getwet

First Swim in a "Public" swim area

Started by slow&steady
Views: 1219 Posts: 9

2004-06-22 1:36 PM mikenhe

Swimming advice or help needed on video clip of myself swimming Pages: 1 2

Started by steven
Views: 3515 Posts: 29

2004-05-11 4:52 AM steven
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2015
author : CoachCK
comments : 1
It's time to improve upon your weakness in the water and start swimming faster. Instead of ignoring your swim skills (or lack thereof), it’s time to face them head-on.

date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...