General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM wave start timing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-06 12:02 PM

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
Subject: IM wave start timing
I am doing Ironman 70.3 Muncie this weekend which has a wave start. Does anyone know when my personal time starts for a Ironman 70.3 race that has a wave start? If my 45-49 age group wave is started at 8:07:00 am, does my time start at 8:07:00 am when they sound the go signal for my wave or does it start at 8:07:42 when I actually cross over the start line?

2016-07-06 1:57 PM
in reply to: stevemorey

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: IM wave start timing
It starts at your wave start time.In your example 8:07. They will likely have you and your AG go over the timing mat (so the system accounts that you were there) then line up at the start area (by or in the water) and wait for the signal. Your time will start when they say "go".
2016-07-06 2:31 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: IM wave start timing
What 3mar said.

Wave size will be manageable, too. You'll start on the beach...sandy. It gets a teeny bit rockier at the waterline, but I don't recall it being bad. I've done way worse when it comes to slimy, slippery, sharp rocks.
If you've not done it, read up on some of the race reports where they talk about the optimal approach to the swim.
If you can believe the math (Asquared + Bsquared=Csquared).......and, of course, that's always a big if.....I found the suggestions to be helpful.
It doesn't pay to hug the buoys.

While the geometry holds up, the difference is probably marginal...if that, but you're starting on the short end of a trapezoid. So, if you line up "on the right" in the wave near the buoys, you're mathematically swimming a further distance. Again, somewhere shy of negligibile, let alone marginal in reality.

HOWEVER....and there's always a however in life...

Most people I think are used to "huggin' the buoys". I went with the line up on the left of the wave advice. I was right there chatting with the DJs. Nice guys! Because I was out on the margin, it was probably the most easy peasy/relaxed swim I've ever done. Pool, wave, rolling, etc. Just plenty of elbow room. And, you'll be in one of the first few waves, if they line up like they did last year.

Quick notes :re Muncie
-you will be swimming back RIGHT into the sun if it's out. Sighting is doable, but you're going right into the rising sun as it's coming over the trees.
-if you're staying in Anderson....all the bagels will be sold by 5:00 PM. If you're counting on finding grocery store breakfast in that town, might want to think ahead, lest all the arm-banded bandits strike first and score your favorite bagels/muffins/etc.
-I chickened out and didn't come up from the south to get to parking. It probably would have worked. Allowed myself plenty of time and came from the north. Traffic was not too terribly bad. But, I wouldn't push it. Unless you go real early, parking will be just a bit less than .5 miles from transition.
-there's a White Castle right there on the highway as you head home
-take a moment to appreciate the volunteers at the aid stations, I don't know if all the branded races are this good....but these were awesome. A lot of them were high school groups and sports teams....I assume somehow a bit of fundraising or something. Either way, most excellent. If the girl on the loudspeaker on the run course aid station (about 4 miles in) is back, she probably expended more energy over the course of the day than I did.

Edited by jhaack39 2016-07-06 2:34 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM wave start timing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USAT Timing on wave starts

Started by tyler0605
Views: 761 Posts: 5

2011-02-07 4:26 PM DanielG

Interesting wave start...comfort wave

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 1697 Posts: 19

2008-09-26 2:11 PM Rad-Onc PA

Time Trial Swim Starts vs Mass or Wave starts

Started by browncd
Views: 2362 Posts: 13

2008-03-06 4:09 PM bhoover10001

time between wave starts

Started by Mike 45
Views: 866 Posts: 5

2006-04-23 3:49 PM JeepFleeb

displayed time at finish w/ wave start

Started by memphis
Views: 545 Posts: 3

2005-05-22 9:25 AM possum
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.