General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike for triathlon beginners and for dirt road Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-08 5:12 PM

Subject: Bike for triathlon beginners and for dirt road
Hi, I'm new in the buissnes, and I try to find out if triathlon is my way or not.
I'm already 34 years old, I swim only from 5 years, started to run and bike since last november.
I have an old bike, and it's not very regular for a triathlon sprint.
I'm looking forward to find a new bike, but i realy don't have idea how to find out in witch direction I have to show.
My budget: 1000-1500 CHF (same in dollar, same in euro)
What I also want is to go, from time to time on dirt roads (not mountain, but on streets that have no asphalt).
Is this possible? If yes, which good bike you can suggesst?
If no, what you suggest to do?

Txs in advance, If I was not clear enough please tell me, I will complete the informations

Heinz

2016-07-08 6:14 PM
in reply to: Code4fun

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: Bike for triathlon beginners and for dirt road

Go to a Bicycle store.  Ask to look at Cyclocross bike.  Some people might call them Gravel Grinders.  Good Luck!

2016-07-09 4:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Bike for triathlon beginners and for dirt road
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Go to a Bicycle store.  Ask to look at Cyclocross bike. 

You need to be careful because the more hardcore race-oriented cyclocross bikes are liable to have mountain bike gearing, and maybe even a 1x11 drivetrain. If you're going to be doing triathlons and other paved road riding, you're going to want something with road bike gearing; something with a front derailleur and a large front chainwheel with at least 48 teeth.

"Adventure bike" seems to be the description now for a bike that's similar to an endurance road bike, but has some modest off pavement capabilities due to larger tires and perhaps slight geometry adjustments.

Something like this Giant Anyroad would probably fit your need:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/de-de/bikes/series/anyroad.comax/2520...

That one's a little beyond your stated budget, but it has a composite frame. It's also available in an all-aluminum version that should be right in your price range.

Edited by gary p 2016-07-09 5:04 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike for triathlon beginners and for dirt road Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beginner Road Bike purchase

Started by bombasaki
Views: 1278 Posts: 5

2011-02-11 10:43 PM bombasaki

Road Bike Beginner....which bike is best ????

Started by [email protected]
Views: 795 Posts: 2

2010-05-17 7:01 PM tjh

Beginner Triathelete: First time buying road bike

Started by gibsonrsa
Views: 1879 Posts: 3

2010-01-21 10:05 PM gibsonrsa

Suggestions for Beginner Road Bike under $500???

Started by ratkat
Views: 10005 Posts: 16

2008-12-22 10:34 AM sdanaher

Beginner - Road Bike

Started by BrianO
Views: 1254 Posts: 8

2007-03-19 11:07 AM travisml
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 20, 2009
comments : 0
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.