DQ Events
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 30m 18s
Overall Rank = 126/205
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

At a Clif bar and banana. Drove over to get there an hour and 20 min before the start of the race.
Event warmup:

Because it was cold and rainy this morning, I wasn't really inspired to warm up. I did a little (very little) stretching and got into the lake for a short (200m?) swim.
Swim
  • 06m 27s
  • 440 meters
  • 01m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

I went out in an all-out sprint to get ahead of my wave, but there were some pretty good swimmers in it who were able to hang with me for longer than I was comfortable with (and two left me behind, including one 14-year-old girl). The sprint wiped me out a bit so that I had a harder time sighting. When I did reach the final buoy, I did breaststroke around it, lined up again, and then started off. The way back was also frustrating because I kept running into flailing laggers from the previous wave. The lake was really shallow so many guys were walking from a long way out when I was trying to swim for the edge (and they weren't bothering to look behind them, which I found really irritating). I was not in a good mood after the swim because I felt like it didn't go well - it felt hectic and frantic. The swim was fast, but not excellent.
What would you do differently?:

I wasn't ready to sprint quite that hard. Maybe next time I'll start slightly slower. I also need to take a second to pick a better line that will keep me out of the worst traffic jams.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

I threw my helmet onto my head and got the strap stuck under it, then had to stop running with my bike to take it off, fix the strap, and put the helmet back on. Clearly this flustered me, because I clipped a bike rack with my pedal on the way out and nearly took it with me. Not the best transition.

I need to get used to my new routine. I have less to do in transition, so I felt a little lost, like I was missing something. I need to take the time to do tasks right the first time instead of rushing and then having to redo them.
Bike
  • 49m 40s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a slow start on the bike course, but built into a great pace. I tried to keep the cadence very high and not rest. The roads, which were only slightly rolling, helped since there were few gear changes, but the ones I made were generally beneficial, getting me into a much better cadence. Most of the time I was able to ride my own race. I think I was helped by one lady who passed me, and then held up right ahead of my wheel. I drafted off of her, tried to gently pass her (didn't work), and finally gunned it around her. We played leap-frog a little (and whenever she got in front of me I was annoyed, because she did not pass definitively at all), which I think helped me ultimately, because I had to kick up the speed to get away from her.

It was a PR, so nothing!

The next thing I need is a bike computer to tell me my speed and cadence so I can know how I am doing during the event.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

This was an ok transition. The only hiccup was forgetting my watch on my bike and having to double back for it (I'd only gotten two steps away, but still).

Mental checklist.
Run
  • 30m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

HUGE mental effort here. I did not walk at all (barring the two water stations, where I walked ten seconds or so while drinking). At the beginning the run felt awful, and I just told myself to keep plugging at whatever pace I was comfortable at. I managed to do the first mile in 9:40, which really picked up my spirits (because it felt so awful). I tried to lengthen my stride on downhills and then to pick up the pace gradually toward the end. It took a lot of effort not to walk and I'm really pleased that it paid off.

Nothing right now. I need to train more to get my pace down, but a sub-10:00 run is awesome for me now at any time, let alone after a PR on the bike!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the event.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I designated this a B race and did not specifically train for it (or even rest - this is my sixth workout in six days, not counting some strength training). Most of it didn't feel great, but I was able to push through and perform pretty well - and place in my age group for the first time ever!

Event comments:

Nice small race. They were a little low on volunteers, in my opinion, so the transition area wasn't secure and the race didn't start on time. Once the race got going, though, things seemed to run smoothly. The course was flat and fast, as advertised.

Last updated: 2016-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:27 | 440 meters | 01m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 18/205
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot tri top and shorts
Course: Out and back in lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:49:40 | 15 miles | 18.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 133/205
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out to a loop on country roads that we did twice, then back to transition. Roads were a little rough with some potholes.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:57 | 03.11 miles | 09m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 154/205
Performance: Good
Course: A loop around local roads, including an out-and-back down a cul-de-sac.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No