City of Papillion Parks and Recreation
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 36s
Overall Rank = 5/164
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/28
Pre-race routine:

Drank 3 Ensures for breakfast. Forgot to buy a banana so I was a little burpy with an liquid meal. Arrived about 1.5 hours before race to get a parking spot. Went to restroom a bagillion times.
Event warmup:

Swam about 50M before race. Should have went longer.
Swim
  • 10m 16s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

As usual, I freaked out on this. I went waaay left and added more distance than I needed to. Was pretty congested at first. I kept stopping the first 200m. After that though, I calmed down and got into a rhythm. Bad thing is that I could tell my form was crappy the entire time, so if I could do the catch correctly, I could save time. I was doing ok the last 100m when I realized I just moving my arms instead of swimming like I've trained.
What would you do differently?:

Better warm up. Maybe position myself closer to start so I can get away from people? I don't know if that's a good idea or not since I needed a few breathers to calm down.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Longer than I expected. Lots of rocks/sand, so I washed my feet off.

Don't know...move faster? Luckily I didn't have a volunteer this year yelling me to "walk your bike!" and get in my way...and I was the only person he did that to.
Bike
  • 44m 19s
  • 15.8 miles
  • 21.39 mile/hr
Comments:

Power on this was 253. I went shirtless because I could at this race and it helped keep me cool but I was still sweating like a mad man though. Course was pretty crowded by lap 2 and TONS of people wouldn't stay right. I yelled and yelled "on your left" to one guy and he wouldn't move over and he was going maybe 1mph slower than me so it felt like he was blocking me. Against my judgement I just passed him on the right.

I went out too easy on this. FTP is 294 and I know I can't keep that up for a race but by lap 2 I told myself this felt too easy for a sprint. On the final lap into transition, I was booking it at 350 to catch up which was a stupid idea since I was really hurting on run start.
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

Probably the fastest T2 I've ever done. Speedlaces really helped here. Able to get shoes on fast and avoid the cramps I normally get for trying to bend/reach to tie my shoes.

Nothing.
Run
  • 21m 23s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I was dying here. I've had shin splits for the past 4 months and am STILL trying to get over them. After 5 weeks off running, I'm back up to ~25mpw with no speed work as they aren't ready for it yet and boy could I feel the lack of speed work on this run! I was dying on this run. Starting out I instantly just wanted to walk. I can't believe I didn't stop. I was bargaining with myself since I knew I was in 5th place (4th actually I found out since 1 guy only did 2 laps on bike). I was hot, I was very thirsty, and if I had my HR data, I know it would be 170+ easily.

I knew a guy was right behind in my T2 so my goal was to stay him off. At mile 2, my hat flew off, so I had to get that. Sucked but gave me a 5 second rest. I grab water at the start of the run and at mile 2. I was just too thirsty. I should have drank more on the bike for sure. At mile 2.5 the guy passes me. I saw him and he didn't look like he was in my AG and I just let it go. Turned out it was 10 year range for divisions, so he was in my AG. Doh.. Either way, I had nothing more to give. Normally at the end of races I end with this super sprint but I had nothing, I mean nothing in reserve. My GF and her mom said I looked like I was really hurting and they could tell my shin was hurting since I was running on my right side. I didn't consciously feel it but I know it hurt since it was and still is very warm after the race.

Not much. Run fitness is not where I want to be with shin splits. I'm planing REALLY safe now and am slowly added miles each week. After my HIM next week I'll start to add some light speed work back in.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a cold towel and just sat there. Drank bottle of water and gatoraid. Still thirsty. Should have downed more water at start and also drank more on run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and lack on training.

Event comments:

I like this race. Very well organized with tons of volunteers and nice people. It will always be on my list of races to do.

Last updated: 2016-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:16 | 500 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/28
Overall: 25/164
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Out and back along shoreline.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:19 | 15.8 miles | 21.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/28
Overall: 3/164
Performance: Good
No HR this race.
Wind: Little
Course: Very technical course with 3 loops in/around a high school and a large round-about in a park. Longest strait part was about a mile and it was a giant hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 96
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:23 | 03.1 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/28
Overall: 6/164
Performance: Below average
6:43, 7:15, 6:43 for split times.
Course: Around the lake. Started uphill with a switchback that I thought was going to kill me.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes