General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drafting signals and etiquette Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-14 11:26 AM

User image

Subject: Drafting signals and etiquette
I've got to learn drafting. Are there generally accepted signals or words that drafting bikers use? Any etiquette I should know? I don't want to mess everybody up on my first time riding with a group.

2016-07-14 11:43 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Subject: RE: Drafting signals and etiquette
2016-07-14 3:44 PM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Originally posted by Dunn Right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODmB9LyYzKM

Thanks. That helps. How about leading? Is there a signal for when you want to give up the lead?
2016-07-14 4:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

get out of the way

2016-07-14 5:51 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by b2run
Originally posted by Dunn Right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODmB9LyYzKM
Thanks. That helps. How about leading? Is there a signal for when you want to give up the lead?
I ride with a group once in a great while and they taught me what they use for signals.  On this one they told be to pull of to double tap the right arse cheek then pull off to the left and drop back.

2016-07-15 8:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It's a combination of verbal and signals. Point out hazards in the road when you're towards the front, that will keep the group safe. Hand pointing down with palm towards the rider behind you and elbow bent at an angle means stopping, make sure you use that one. Hand with palm forward and extended straight out means turning (and point in the direction you're turning). Those 3 will avoid almost all accidents.

Keep in mind that each group has slightly different signals so you may see variations on these. Also, the more you ride with a group, the more comfortable you will be, and the more comfortable they will be with you. It's all about predictable riding.

Oh, almost forgot, NEVER pass on the right, always pass on the left and make sure you are calling out when you're passing (on your left or passing on left). That's a definitely pet peeve of mine.

Edited by audiojan 2016-07-15 8:11 AM

2016-07-15 8:46 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Donto

I ride with a group once in a great while and they taught me what they use for signals.  On this one they told be to pull of to double tap the right arse cheek then pull off to the left and drop back.

Never seen anyone use a double butt tap for that! I've been riding in groups for 10 years, around my area the double butt tap is to caution riders back that there is a runner, walker, car door open, or someone in a car on the side to watch for.
2016-07-15 8:57 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by Donto

Never seen anyone use a double butt tap for that! I've been riding in groups for 10 years, around my area the double butt tap is to caution riders back that there is a runner, walker, car door open, or someone in a car on the side to watch for.

yes we also tap our hips for an upcoming walker/rider.  if you pull off and no one comes through, flick the elbow

2016-07-15 9:29 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
While there are signals that are common and etiquette that most will agree on, the most important thing you need to do is talk to the group you are riding with prior to the ride.

Try to find a no-drop ride that is within your fitness range and then spend the first ride sitting at the back for at least the first part of the ride. Observe how things unfold, see how the other riders signal (verbal and hand).

Learn how to stay about a wheel length back of the last rider; this will probably feel way too close but focus on trying to stay a consistent distance back and learn how to manage that distance without constantly having to hammer back up or hit the brakes to avoid hitting the wheel. This will be a combination of peadling with little power to the road, sitting up a little higher to catch more wind, very light touch on the brakes, applying a bit more power as you start to fall back, etc. As the last person, you can focus on learning these skills without having to worry about passing signals back or messing up the pace line when you let too big a gap open (and you will). Then work on half a wheel length and eventually, you can be comfortably a few cm's off of the wheel you are following.

Be careful on hills, if someone stands, they almost always throw their bike back a bit which if you are too close, is going to hit your front wheel. Be prepared for the effort to go up on hills - it is very common for cyclists to power over hills and if you're not ready, you'll be dropped - this is a combination of being in a gear that makes sense and being prepared to work harder up the hill.

When you get to the point that you are moving through the group, you'll find your effort increases slightly as you move through the group; however if your fitness is appropriate for the group, you'll feel pretty comfortable even when sitting second wheel. When the person in front pulls off, take a quick glance at your speed and try to maintain - not build! You should feel good because you're fairly fresh coming to the front but avoid the temptation to ramp up the speed - keep things constant and take a pull of about the same length as what everyone else is doing. Pull off long before you have to and then drift toward the back - as you drift back, pay attention to where you are and start pedalling with some power to the road as you are within three or four people from the back - if you wait until you're at the last person to start pedalling, you are going to most likely get dropped (or at least have to hammer back on).

Good luck, group riding is tons of fun and will almost certainly make you a better cyclist,

Shane
2016-07-15 9:50 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Also some people will say never half wheel, people get upset about that.

The person in the back doing the half wheeling, if wheel touch is the person going down. The front rider is fine 99.5% of the time. So in groups I ride in we ride at steady paces and if someone is half wheel we feel no pressure to ride faster, that person can stop or take the risk of hitting the deck. If people are new to groups, you can tell and we explain it. If the person just wants the group to go faster without going on the front and pulling faster, well that's on him.
2016-07-15 10:01 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by mike761 Also some people will say never half wheel, people get upset about that. The person in the back doing the half wheeling, if wheel touch is the person going down. The front rider is fine 99.5% of the time. So in groups I ride in we ride at steady paces and if someone is half wheel we feel no pressure to ride faster, that person can stop or take the risk of hitting the deck. If people are new to groups, you can tell and we explain it. If the person just wants the group to go faster without going on the front and pulling faster, well that's on him.

don't half wheel on the outside, it gives the person in front of you no room to escape a crash or a slowdown if need be. 

2016-07-15 1:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by mike761 Also some people will say never half wheel, people get upset about that. The person in the back doing the half wheeling, if wheel touch is the person going down. The front rider is fine 99.5% of the time. So in groups I ride in we ride at steady paces and if someone is half wheel we feel no pressure to ride faster, that person can stop or take the risk of hitting the deck. If people are new to groups, you can tell and we explain it. If the person just wants the group to go faster without going on the front and pulling faster, well that's on him.

don't half wheel on the outside, it gives the person in front of you no room to escape a crash or a slowdown if need be. 

I consider that overlapping wheels. Also, don't half wheel. I hate that! hah 

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-is-meant-by-half-wheeling.85455/

Edited by jeng 2016-07-15 1:40 PM
2016-07-15 10:55 PM

Just hang out at the back for a bit and you'll pick it up quick. No one will mind if the new guy hangs at the back, it's generally a good idea. There is no reason to overlap a wheel in a group ride unless someone goes into the gutter on a stiff crosswind and the echelon forms. Even hard group rides aren't races, zero good reasons to take a chance by riding on top the rider in front of you.
2016-07-18 8:26 AM

User image

Like others have said, every group has slightly different signals, and if it is a small group that has been riding together a lot, the signals can be so subtle that experienced riders who are new to the group won't recognize them. The best things is to find a group that is welcoming to new people, and let them know that you are new to group riding. I found that by just introducing myself and giving a friendly declaration that I don't mind being yelled at if I mess up, people become extremely helpful and welcoming.

Once you get the hang of things, if you feel strong enough, go ahead and take a short pull. When you do, try to maintain the speed of the group. This will be difficult because your effort level will increase without anyone to draft off of, but your instinct will be to kick up the speed because you don't want to look like an out-of-shape slacker. That is why it is good to keep your initial pulls short. People will appreciate your effort and that you aren't a wheel sucker, but you won't mess up the pace.

In addition to the excellent advice to not half-wheel and to hang out in the back until you figure things out, make sure that before you ride in a group, you can really hold a line. It is astonishing how many cyclists can't or won't ride in a straight line. If you can't ride in a straight line, you are a danger to yourself and anyone riding around you, and you deserve to be yelled at or dropped.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drafting signals and etiquette Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Drafting Etiquette - Training Ride Pages: 1 2

Started by Goosedog
Views: 5261 Posts: 47

2011-04-13 1:30 PM jgerbodegrant

Bike Drafting Etiquette - Training Ride

Started by Goosedog
Views: 314 Posts: 1

2011-04-11 8:41 AM Goosedog

Bike Drafting Etiquette - Training Ride

Started by Goosedog
Views: 430 Posts: 1

2011-04-11 8:40 AM Goosedog

Drafting drafting drafting Pages: 1 2

Started by MalcolmG
Views: 3447 Posts: 26

2011-03-21 11:22 AM GoFaster

Biking/Drafting etiquette question Pages: 1 2

Started by dangremond
Views: 3283 Posts: 37

2008-07-14 7:23 AM cxk9758
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : November 9, 2006
author : McFuzz
comments : 1
How to join lap swimmers without making a splash. A primer on the social graces applied to swimming laps.
date : September 5, 2004
author : USATriathlon
comments : 0
Position rule violations during triathlon racing.

author : Team BT
Important terms and definitions for many words encountered in the world of triathlons
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.