Site Issues Custom Training Plan Creator » Run distance on a custom plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-17 4:01 AM

User image

Subject: Run distance on a custom plan
I created a custom plan for training for Ironman Florida 2016. I scheduled 2 runs per week, but at a very slow pace. Setting is in km's. The longest training run prescribed is 17.6km. Will this adequately prepare me for the 42km distance on race day? I was wondering if maybe the distance calculator did not properly set to km's; 17 miles would probably be appropriate for the longest run. Or perhaps the calculations are time based, and my slow place was the cause. Any ideas? The cycle and swim sets seem appropriate (building to 180km and 3.8km respectively).

Also, is it possible to alter the setting so the distances get rounded off. Does anybody really run 7.57 km? and cycle 112.4 km? I can of course build my own program using these numbers as a guide but it does seem a shame that the final presentation of the custom plan is flawed in this way.

2016-07-22 9:36 PM
in reply to: jdfmorris

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Run distance on a custom plan

What pace did you put in?  One constraint on the custom plan is to not do long runs over 2.5 to 3 hrs and it's capped at that - as it is more time based for the run as that put's the most stress on you. Training runs that long can just lead to increased injury before your race especially only two runs per week.

You can certainly adjust the pace up to see what the plan looks like and not put it in in your log.  You can try the first month or two of training to see how you are doing and adjusting to the volume.  What is your running like currently?  Is this a normal pace you run at for a longer run?  What has been your current distance and running frequency?  

It is a plan following certain rules just for safety, but if we can understand you a little more, rules can be bent.  

2016-07-27 6:55 PM
in reply to: Ron

User image

Subject: RE: Run distance on a custom plan
Thanks Champion. I suspected that was the constraint - makes sense.

My 'run' pace is a scintillating 9mins per km (14.30 per mile). The truth is that I walk the run leg due to some muscular challenges I have. It's actually a pretty quick walk pace. For IM Florida I am shooting for around 6h30 for the 26 miles. I agree that longer runs just increase the risk of injury and put undue stress on the body; my gut instinct is that I need to get one training walk in over 19 miles, another one close to that, with a regular effort of 11 - 13 miles. I have done two 70.3s this year on a regime of 2 training walks per week - one shorter (often straight off the bike) and one longer effort.

I am slow on the swim and bike also, so the IM for me is all about breaking 17 hours. Hence the endurance focus in my training is key, but also a bit of pace to make sure I hit the line by midnight.
New Thread
Site Issues Custom Training Plan Creator » Run distance on a custom plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Custom HIM plan vs Stock HIM Plan

Started by Here for the Shirt
Views: 2854 Posts: 2

2013-11-30 7:04 PM Here for the Shirt

Custom Training Plan - Workout Minutes/Distance

Started by rtritsch
Views: 2080 Posts: 3

2013-10-30 2:55 PM rtritsch

Problem with run in KM in custom plan

Started by bcraht
Views: 2885 Posts: 10

2013-11-28 3:27 PM bcraht

Will custom training plan create an 'impossible' plan?

Started by lady_racer
Views: 2633 Posts: 2

2012-07-23 5:13 PM Ron

Custom HIM with Bike/Run Brick and another Run

Started by dar89
Views: 2390 Posts: 3

2011-03-16 8:20 AM marmadaddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
What is the difference between the custom plans for free users vs. performance members?

date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
I am in the process of buying my first tri bike. Because of my size my fitter suggested buying a custom frame but then I have an infinite number of choices for components, wheels, aerobars, etc.

date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?
date : April 14, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 3
So what is behind the Infinit line of custom nutrition products? We took a trip to the Infinit world headquarters and conducted an in-depth review of the Infinit Nutrition product.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.