General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two piece trisuits under wetsuits Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-17 9:15 AM

Subject: Two piece trisuits under wetsuits
Hi guys!
Tri-newbie here. I know there are lots of forums on one vs two piece trisuits but I'm specifically wondering if anyone finds that two pieces move around too much under a wetsuit during the swim leg?

I am no opposed to one pieces, I just think I might get more use out of two pieces beyond the scope of triathlons and am concerned about swim leg.

Thanks in advance

2016-07-17 9:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Two piece trisuits under wetsuits
I have not had any major problems with either one piece or two piece under wetsuits. The only issue with either has been (for some tops) chafing around the armpit area (which can be prevented with Body Glide or similar (for women this can also be a matter of selecting the right sports bra if the top or one-piece doesn't have one built in), and (with some shorts), a tendency to roll up a bit where the material is supposed to grip the thighs. With the latter, you can just reach down and straighten things out. It doesn't seem to move around and cause problems when actually swimming, You do want to try whatever you decide to wear under the wetsuit for a race-distance swim if possible wearing the wetsuit so you can find out about any potential chafing or other issues in advance.

Definitely a two-piece suit is more useful outside of triathlons. I only use my one-piece suits for some open-water training swims, aside from actual races, while my tops often double as run tops, and I use the shorts for runs and rides. Where it can become a problem is when the swim is a non-wetsuit swim--if the fit of a two-piece outfit isn't really good, you can have issues with the suit (in particular, the top), flapping around on the swim. Probably more of an issue if, like me, you have a small waist relative to the rest of you, or if you often race in the ocean in events which are not wetsuit legal.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-07-17 9:49 AM
2016-07-17 9:49 AM
in reply to: Cassiebeee

, Wisconsin
Two piece work fine for me under wetsuits, no problems. I like the flexibility and also makes it easier to take a bathroom break if needed.
2016-07-17 10:15 AM
in reply to: Cassiebeee

Great feedback--thanks to both of you!

I found a great top that held me quite well so that I wouldn't have to wear a bra, too, and really wanted to get it, but wanted to make sure there would be no rolling issues under my wetsuit.

As for Body Glide, I think both my partner and I will need some on the front of our armpit area from the type of wetsuits we have, so at least for this first triathlon, two piece it is!

If anyone is doing London Triathlon in August, we will see you there ))
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two piece trisuits under wetsuits Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

two piece wetsuits

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 1452 Posts: 21

2014-03-02 12:49 PM Left Brain

one piece vs two piece tri-suit

Started by wide awake
Views: 18605 Posts: 18

2009-07-05 6:06 PM sara0919

Wetsuit: Two-Piece vs One-Piece

Started by SKDickey
Views: 3132 Posts: 13

2009-02-27 7:44 PM Daremo

Wetsuit - 2 piece or one piece

Started by cycle_todd
Views: 2950 Posts: 19

2011-05-22 1:01 PM BGANNAWAY

One piece or two piece? Pages: 1 2

Started by vortmax
Views: 2475 Posts: 26

2006-01-11 12:22 PM jeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.
date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : January 30, 2006
author : amandacmuller
In all of my tri-clothing research, I could never find a trisuit that would offer support where I needed it. I found that my choices were limited.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
JAM! Trisuits is touted to be a trisuit for women, by women, and offering “more upper body support than what has been traditionally available in one piece trisuits”.