General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new cyclist, couple questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-18 8:07 AM

Subject: new cyclist, couple questions
hello, i bought a defy 1 awhile back and now hav a couple questions.
1. what carrier do you use for your good bikes. i have a allen hitch carrier from walmart that i used for my wally world bike but afraid to put my real bike in it. do i need one that holds the wheels?
2. i have 2 pumps that say they are 120psi rated and i can only get 90psi into the tires and cannot make it go any higher. my tires say 120psi and was wanting to put 110 in them. i dont wanna drop a 100 bucks on a pump but found a varcelli on amazon for 40 that has good rating. what do yall use.
3. my wife is now looking at a new bike and would like to go from couch potato to sprint tri next year. when is a good time to find a bike on sale, and what brand should i look at. her main goal would be to lose wt, sprint tri once a year or so, and to enjoy. she doesnt need a tour de france bike but i want her to have something she wont have to fight. are disc brakes worth the extra money? 105 over tiagra? etc. she likes the giant liv bikes. any other brands i should have her look at. and is the life time tuning at the lbs worth it over a used bike for her when she wont be riding 20 miles a week.
thanks for your opinions. i really do appreciate it as i know nothing about this stuff.

2016-07-18 9:43 AM
in reply to: bnsafe

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: new cyclist, couple questions

1)  I have a Saris Bones trunk-mount carrier - it's awesome.

2)  I have a Hurricane Essential pump that I got from Performance Bike like 5-6 years ago - works like a charm and I think was around $40.

3)  whatever she likes , but make sure it fits - the more she likes it the more she'll ride it

2016-07-20 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
1.) If you have an SUV, you can stack 2 bikes on their sides after removing the front wheels and folding the seat down. OR you can remove the front wheels, and seat w/posts and place them upright along the driver's side of the car. I used the second method and was also able to fit a black lab, his bed, and 3 duffle bags in the back.

2.) I've used the same Specialized pump for over 10 years. You do NOT want to inflate more than 100 psi. I followed Michelins direction to inflate to 115 PSI and ended up cracking a rim. The rolling resistance has been shown to decrease with pressures greater than 100 PSI. HED recommends 90 PSI using 23 mm wide rims and 23 mm tires.

3.) Cannondale and Specialized make the best aluminum bikes. Get the 105 group because it feels so much better than Tiagra. Specialized has done a LOT of research in seat ergodynamics. I put a Specialized seat on my Cannondale and use Lycra shorts w/o a pad for 2 hour rides. That's how comfortable their entry level racing seats are.
2016-07-21 7:11 PM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

thanks guys, i will take all this into account. i appreciate your thoughts.
2016-07-23 7:45 PM

As for the bike, I bought my first road bike ever last year after catching the Tri bug. I bought a Kestrel Talon. $1450 before pedals and clip on aero bars. I like it a lot. I've done a HIM and a sprint this year on it...about to do an Olympic distance. The Talon is probably one of the least expensive carbon fiber bikes out there and the quality seems to be good for the money. One of our local bike shops, which sells a lot of high end Tri bikes, sells the Talon as his entry level road / Tri bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new cyclist, couple questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New bike questions (101 level type questions)

Started by LarchmontTri
Views: 1224 Posts: 9

2012-04-25 8:20 AM DanielG

Couple of more Garmin Questions.

Started by rbsmith
Views: 825 Posts: 6

2010-05-09 2:45 PM jvanis

Just bought a couple new toys!

Started by L2Jake
Views: 1063 Posts: 4

2009-05-16 2:59 AM L2Jake

couple wetsuit questions

Started by jmcelroy
Views: 655 Posts: 5

2006-06-28 9:12 AM mcbill98

Wetsuits...questions, questions, questions

Started by runnerx
Views: 1319 Posts: 2

2004-11-29 6:39 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
IT Band Friction Causing Knee Pain in Beginner

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.