This is not the droid you're looking for

Well played!

2016-07-20 10:01 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Defining FOP/MOP/BOP
Originally posted by Left Brain

Just curious why you didn't include sprint times?  It's possible to get over your 105 pt. threshold only doing sprints.

Part laziness, part not having any good data to go off. For the other distances, I went and found races that had the best possible conditions and then dropped time from there based on points scored. So, for example, for IM distance I used Florida 2013. It was a fast year and WTC events tend to be pretty accurate in terms of measurement. So that was my baseline. Same for the HIM (I can't remember which one I used, but similar). I estimated the Oly based on the full and half times, but felt extrapolating that to the sprint distance would be a stretch. If you can point me to a very fast, accurately measured sprint with >1,000 participants to use as a baseline I'll happily add it. Or just throw out some times. I don't think I've ever completed an accurately measured sprint, so I have no calibration on times.
2016-07-20 10:39 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Defining FOP/MOP/BOP

Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by Left Brain

Just curious why you didn't include sprint times?  It's possible to get over your 105 pt. threshold only doing sprints.

Part laziness, part not having any good data to go off. For the other distances, I went and found races that had the best possible conditions and then dropped time from there based on points scored. So, for example, for IM distance I used Florida 2013. It was a fast year and WTC events tend to be pretty accurate in terms of measurement. So that was my baseline. Same for the HIM (I can't remember which one I used, but similar). I estimated the Oly based on the full and half times, but felt extrapolating that to the sprint distance would be a stretch. If you can point me to a very fast, accurately measured sprint with >1,000 participants to use as a baseline I'll happily add it. Or just throw out some times. I don't think I've ever completed an accurately measured sprint, so I have no calibration on times.

Any of the USAT Sprint National Championships the last few years are your best bet for seeing what the top end looks like.  The course in Milwaukee is a pretty good representation of most courses..  It takes a sprint race of that size to get the maximum points......you can barely get over 85 pts. for some local races even if you win.  The same for Olys....the National championship races offer the best shot at seeing what the top end looks like.

Here's a link for the 2015 race results.....you can get sprint and oly from it.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Triathlon/Events/National-Championships/Past-National-Championships

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Defining FOP/MOP/BOP Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Define FOP, MOP, and BOP for Me Please Pages: 1 2

Started by n.k
Views: 4069 Posts: 34

2010-07-13 8:59 AM MikeTheBear

Better Define: BOP/MOP/FOP Pages: 1 2 3

Started by bufit323
Views: 3960 Posts: 53

2010-01-06 9:08 PM agarose2000

Mile OWS - FOP, MOP, BOP?

Started by Ershk
Views: 1809 Posts: 16

2009-07-20 8:05 PM breckview

Help me define FOP/MOP/BOP

Started by dpeeples
Views: 5165 Posts: 18

2009-01-31 8:06 AM tricrazy

FOP vs MOP vs BOP Pages: 1 2

Started by kproudfoot
Views: 2410 Posts: 31

2007-06-27 5:12 PM mykle15
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 0
How to be a BOPer or MOPer in a FOPer world. As a middle of the pack athlete, I have adopted some things I do to assure a victorious feeling at every event I finish.