General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Donating Blood and coordinating with racing and training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-19 10:12 AM

User image

Regular
Oregon
Subject: Donating Blood and coordinating with racing and training
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section.

anyways, I recently found out I have the most rare blood type (AB neg) and am interested in donating blood. this is not something I've ever had experience with, but I would imagine it has a significant impact on racing and training.

could anybody provide any suggestions or insight or links for how to best manage a training/racing schedule with blood donations?

For instance maybe you shouldn't donate blood within 4 weeks of a race, or 3 weeks or whatever, I'm not sure.

2016-07-19 10:37 AM
in reply to: themissj1981

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Donating Blood and coordinating with racing and training

Coming from someone who once donated blood the day before a track meet in high school (and had a very unhappy coach about it)...

IIRC from a Runner's World article from years ago, you're looking at 2-4 weeks for functional recovery, 8 weeks for total replacement.  If you take it easy for a few days after and keep the efforts light and then ramp up again, I'd bet you'd barely notice.

And good on you for donating and saving a life, especially with that rare blood type.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Donating Blood and coordinating with racing and training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

donating blood

Started by rgr375
Views: 850 Posts: 4

2008-02-23 10:13 AM rgr375

Donating Blood

Started by beadams
Views: 933 Posts: 7

2007-08-18 11:16 AM rayd

Just donated blood

Started by ROBIT79
Views: 968 Posts: 8

2006-04-04 2:53 PM parrj

Donating blood...

Started by jknapman
Views: 860 Posts: 6

2006-01-31 2:00 PM jknapman

Donating Blood

Started by MUL98
Views: 1733 Posts: 14

2005-05-24 6:27 AM sty
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : February 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
Elevated blood pressure is the most common cardiovascular disease in the United States. There are many things to consider in the recommendation of training for individuals with high blood pressure.
date : September 3, 2006
comments : 2
If you are one of those athletes, and the compartments don’t easily expand, the pressure within increases with exercise. This can stress the muscle as well as the nerves and blood vessels.

date : May 1, 2006
Exercise-related hyponatremia (low sodium in the blood) is a rare cause of death in endurance athletes. Symptoms include headache, nausea, vomiting, confusion, difficulty breathing and seizure.
date : March 5, 2006
A number of vascular changes occur in the body during activity. In general, these changes are beneficial, the blood vessels dilating and constricting in order to shunt blood where our bodies need it.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Jen Doyle
Often athletes forget the fitness basics such as warm up and cool down. We know they are important, but we want to get into the meat of our workout without wasting time.
date : May 16, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
Perhaps you, too, have wondered about the role of salt, or more correctly, sodium (the part of salt associated with high blood pressure) in your diet. This article can help you figure that out.

date : September 19, 2004
author : malvey
The next time you see one of your kids or grandkids, look deep into their eyes and know that they would give anything to have you around for five, ten fifteen, or even twenty more years.