General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike size charts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-22 7:19 AM

Subject: bike size charts
newbie here,
I did my first sprint tri on a borrowed racing bike and ended with back pain.
Now I'm looking around to get a really cheap second hand starter bike.
I'm trying to understand how to determine the correct frame size for me, but on the web I have found very different height to frame charts.
can you kindly suggest a reliable site with such a chart?

Thanks
C

2016-07-22 4:47 PM
in reply to: #5192052

Subject: RE: bike size charts
If you scour the Web you'll find so much different opinion and debate it may send you into information overload. My story, and what i suggest since it worked well for me, was I went to a reputable dealer and they suggested a particular size based on my height, what they know about how their brands fit people/body types, and a few questions while I sat on it. You won't be riding the tour de france so odds are even with a simple approach like this you can get a sufficient fit... As you ride more you'll be able to tell if you want to tweak the fit with a shorter stem or different seatpost...Those are 30 dollar upgrades and can go a loooong way.
2016-07-22 8:51 PM
in reply to: panino

Sarasota, Florida
You will want to get a chart specific to the manufacturer if they offer them. You can start with your inseam to get a ballpark. I'm actually riding a bike 2 sizes too big and get by all right for sprints and Olys. I will experience occasional back or shoulder pain when experimenting with different saddle positions but it seems after a ride or two my body settles in. Getting a perfect fit wasn't so critical for me with a temporary CL purchase but I'd look at matching the manufacturer recommendation or a reputable shop's opinion. I have read it's more forgiving to go one size up for most bikes than one size down but the only certification I have are coffee stains on my lap and armchair.
2016-07-23 1:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
If you have the funds, getting a bike fit is often suggested. In this process, an expert helps assess you and then is able to provide measure.e ts that you can use to first d a suitable frame. As mentioned, most.manufacturers do not .measure frames in the same manner, so a 54 in one makers frames is not always the same as a 54 from a diff company... But the fitter.ought to be able to offer recommendations of.frames.that will fit you.

If a fitting session is out of budget, an online calculator at.competitive cyclist.com can be used to help get you some dimensions that you can use when looking at bike frames.

I hope this helps
2016-07-25 5:41 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

thanks to all guys, really appreciate your suggestions.
it sounds like a visit to a dealer is the best option for me!
C
2016-07-25 7:08 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by panino

thanks to all guys, really appreciate your suggestions.
it sounds like a visit to a dealer is the best option for me!
C

I would say 95% of all shops will only suggest bikes that they stock, not necessarily the right bike for you. For me Trek bike do not fit me well but if I go to Bike Line guess what bike they are going to tell me fits.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/

This website has a fit guide that works pretty well for road bikes. If you know what bikes the shop sells before going in and you use the fit guide you will have a good idea of what you should be on. If the sales guy puts you on the wrong bike, you may want to find another sales guy or shop.

With the borrowed bike it takes some time to get used to being in that position and build the supportive muscles. Not uncommon for your back to be a little sore the first time out.

2016-07-25 7:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

You will find that not all frames are created equally from a size and geometry standpoint.  So a size 56 from one manufacturer will be different from another's size 56.  There is no standardized sizing.

The Competitive Cyclist fit guide mentioned above is a good start: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp?INT_ID=IB12809

I would not suggest it for a tri bike fit though.

I also would not suggest just strolling into a local bike shop and having them check your inseam and offer up one of the bikes they sell as the best solution.  Odds are it won't be.

There's more room for error in a road bike fit than a tri bike fit due to less contact points and geometrical concerns.

I've had a professional fitting down 5x now.  4x on a tri bike and 1x on a road bike.  Each tri bike fit took at least two hours.  The road bike fit took about 30 minutes, and basically involved a slight change in saddle height, a spacer in my pedals, and a slightly longer stem.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike size charts Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

bike size - post your stats (height, build, brand, bike size) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by michael_runs
Views: 11897 Posts: 56

2011-10-11 11:40 PM Left Brain

Wetsuit Sizing Chart........No Good!

Started by Smitty1984
Views: 10234 Posts: 14

2010-05-10 11:19 AM nerak11

general bike sizing question - chart?

Started by darbaugh
Views: 848 Posts: 4

2009-04-17 1:48 PM pjtriman

Road Bike to Tri Bike Sizing

Started by Binney59
Views: 769 Posts: 4

2005-07-07 2:49 PM DRLski

TYR size chart for women?

Started by Tizzy
Views: 751 Posts: 3

2005-01-26 11:30 AM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 12, 2009
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?