DQ Events
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 13m 52s
Overall Rank = 42/91
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

About an hour and a half drive for me so woke up at 4 and on the road by 4:30. Had all my stuff in the car and packed the night before including bike so just needed to finish up my nutrition and liquids and away I went.
Event warmup:

Not much. Walk around the lake to the start was about it. That and putting \on my wetsuit which is a warmup in and of itself.
Swim
  • 41m 1s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

For me a very good swim. This was over 6 minutes faster than my only other 1/2 and if I wasn't concerned about the rest of the race and the heat could've been a few minutes faster probably. I was able to stay about 10 yards off the buoy line so pretty much out of traffic (was only clobbered once in the head) and mind my own business. I had just purchased a new sleeveless wetsuit that I used for the first time here (I know don't do anything new on race day but way too hot for a full suit) and it was awesome as I really liked the feel of more freedom for my arms.
What would you do differently?:

Like usual push harder but that wasn't really the plan given the heat so can't complain.
Transition 1
  • 05m 54s
Comments:

I knew it was going to be a long day and part of the walk out is through sand and stuff so I took my time, probably too much, in order to get my feet good and clean and dry, hydrate as I took a bike spot on the inside end so I had a cooler over on the grass next to transition with ice and drinks so I was able to keep my drinks cold.

Move it a little as it is a race!
Bike
  • 3h 30m 13s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Since I had not been able to put nearly as much time as is needed for a 1/2 on the bike in training I made a conscious decision to not push this at all but to conserve energy for what was sure to be a miserably hot run. Again only other 1/2 I had done I completely ruined myself on the bike and had absolutely zero left going into the run and didn't want to do that again. Since this is a much smaller event than the WTC 1/2 I had done it was almost like a training exercise as for long stretches no one was around. I don't think this helped me at all as I rarely if ever had targets in front of me to either catch or hang on to so I know my mind wandered quite often where I wasn't putting in enough effort. I'm sure this cost me some time maybe even 10 to 15 minutes but in the end as I neared the end of the bike I felt like I was good on hydration and nutrition and my legs weren't making a peep.

Probably not much as my run paid off which was the plan. Well I guess ride more than 250 miles in training for a 1/2 would be something to do differently!
Transition 2
  • 04m 35s
Comments:

Took my time and even with that still forgot to reapply body glide which did cause some pretty undesired effects in the nether regions. That's a lesson that won't be forgotten anytime soon.

Hurry up!
Run
  • 1h 52m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

So I ended up having a top ten run time so hard to argue with the rest of the plan as it was real hot. The running through the sand in parts I was not a big fan of plus I would've given a leg for a port-a-potty at one point but otherwise I was able to keep a steady 9 minute pace and just try and put everything else out of my mind. Legs really never gave me any problems just hard to keep breathing and energy together given the heat as it was pretty miserable.

Nothing as this was a great run for me on an incredibly tough day.
Post race
Warm down:

Had to get going so not much. Took some drink/food from my cooler before packing up and heading out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I guess I could've reversed strategy and hoped for the best by pushing on the bike and trying to hold on for the run but it was much more enjoyable to be able to run it all the way out vs. the struggle I had in Princeton a few years ago where it was more walk than run the last 5 miles.

Event comments:

For once my plan worked well and by conserving energy in the water and on the bike I was able to have a good run in tough conditions. Would like to be better training on the bike so that I could push more as there is plenty of time to be saved there.

Last updated: 2016-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:01 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/91
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Aqualift
Course: 2 and 1/2 laps around a shallow lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:30:13 | 56 miles | 15.98 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: 3 clockwise loops of 19 miles each so this was actually about 57 miles.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:52:11 | 13.1 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %4
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-07-22 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: Shoreman 1/2 Distance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shoreman 1/2 Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Shoreman 1/2 Distance Triathlon

Started by Tri-solar
Views: 1052 Posts: 4

2014-09-09 2:39 PM medeiros13

Shoreman 1/2 Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by CMB
Views: 1061 Posts: 1

2012-09-10 3:03 PM CMB

Started by JohnnyKay
Views: 2373 Posts: 3

2011-09-19 4:44 PM Fred Doucette

Started by matthias77
Views: 1263 Posts: 1

2011-09-14 8:57 AM matthias77

Started by mleonardo
Views: 1404 Posts: 1

2011-09-11 12:14 PM mleonardo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 19, 2007
author : McFuzz
comments : 4
Looking to do your first triathlon? Here is a look beyond the distances.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.