General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri top under wetsuit or just throw it on before the bike. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-22 3:35 PM

User image

Connecticut
Subject: Tri top under wetsuit or just throw it on before the bike.
I did some wetsuit swim training for my race in two weeks last night and wore my tri top underneath the suit to make sure there wasn't any weird rubbing or anything.

Question is: Do you wear your tri top under your wetsuit (obviously this is a two piece tri suit question)? Is there a reason why you do or do not wear it during the swim?

To me, it seems like a wet tri top would help body temp during the first part of the bike, I guess that is assuming the air is hot - just like to hear everyones thoughts on this.

Thanks

2016-07-22 3:39 PM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: RE: Tri top under wetsuit or just throw it on before the bike.

Wear it.

Putting on a tri top over a wet body is.....  challenging. 

You won't notice a thing in the water.

What you will notice is 50 people having a faster T1 because you are squirming around trying to get your dang tri top on.

2016-07-23 7:21 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Wear it.

Putting on a tri top over a wet body is.....  challenging. 

You won't notice a thing in the water.

What you will notice is 50 people having a faster T1 because you are squirming around trying to get your dang tri top on.

Exactly right . . .
2016-07-23 9:45 AM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by kmonie360 I did some wetsuit swim training for my race in two weeks last night and wore my tri top underneath the suit to make sure there wasn't any weird rubbing or anything. Question is: Do you wear your tri top under your wetsuit (obviously this is a two piece tri suit question)? Is there a reason why you do or do not wear it during the swim? To me, it seems like a wet tri top would help body temp during the first part of the bike, I guess that is assuming the air is hot - just like to hear everyones thoughts on this. Thanks

I would just wear it.

That stated, does the tri top have a zippered front?  If so, you can step into it and pull it up as opposed to trying to put it on over your head and pulling down onto your wet body.  Think how a woman puts on a dress.

2016-07-23 5:04 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by kmonie360 I did some wetsuit swim training for my race in two weeks last night and wore my tri top underneath the suit to make sure there wasn't any weird rubbing or anything. Question is: Do you wear your tri top under your wetsuit (obviously this is a two piece tri suit question)? Is there a reason why you do or do not wear it during the swim? To me, it seems like a wet tri top would help body temp during the first part of the bike, I guess that is assuming the air is hot - just like to hear everyones thoughts on this. Thanks

I would just wear it.

That stated, does the tri top have a zippered front?  If so, you can step into it and pull it up as opposed to trying to put it on over your head and pulling down onto your wet body.  Think how a woman puts on a dress.

Or at least make sure you roll it up from the bottom to the bottom of the armholes so you can slip easily into the arms then roll it down your body as opposed to trying to slide the material over your wet body.

2016-07-25 8:24 AM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by TTom

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

I would just wear it.

Or at least make sure you roll it up from the bottom to the bottom of the armholes so you can slip easily into the arms then roll it down your body as opposed to trying to slide the material over your wet body.

both are good tips if the tri top bothers you under your wetsuit. 

I don' think you'll even notice it though. 

Good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri top under wetsuit or just throw it on before the bike. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri-top underneath sleeveless wetsuit?

Started by BiscuitJustice
Views: 816 Posts: 5

2010-04-22 8:29 AM BiscuitJustice

Tri Top Under Sleeveless Wetsuit

Started by 17281posse
Views: 912 Posts: 5

2009-08-09 11:49 PM Gregkl

Wetsuit / Tri top & bottom questions

Started by Invigilator
Views: 568 Posts: 5

2008-03-27 3:22 PM Aikidoman

Tri Top vs. Bike Top

Started by chriselam
Views: 907 Posts: 4

2007-06-05 1:23 PM ADollar79

Recommend a tri top- non wetsuit race

Started by elmatto
Views: 1975 Posts: 4

2007-04-16 12:19 PM CitySky
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 21, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
My foot is now in a tremendous amount of pain, it is swollen, and I can barely walk on it at all, it hurts so much. I am still putting the gel on, taking anti inflammatories, and icing. Help!

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?

date : January 9, 2010
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
I sometimes have severe pains on the top of my left foot. It feels like a knife is stabbing my inner foot on the outer portion of my foot. These pains happen mainly at night but not while riding.

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?