2016-07-26 7:57 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: swimming mystery

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Burchib
Originally posted by mike761 At no point did you say you actually took the time to take lessons from a competent instructor and learned good form. Nor do you mention how many yards you swim in a week. There is no shortcut to these 2 items, you have to put in the time in both. If you stop for a while the worse your technique is the slower you will be when you start again. Your friend practices different than you do and probably learned to swim better than you did. He also may not be honest with you when he tells you he has not been swimming. I have heard a lot of people getting extra workouts in that they don't tell their friends about, probably just trying to be more competitive.
To the OP: I am currently being coached by a college swim coach who has been very successful. I also watch videos, read, and practice, practice, practice technique. I FEEL EXACTLY LIKE YOU. I can be in an OWS in a wetsuit and swim 700 yards with less energy expended than without one in a pool swimming 150. I am 57 years old, and my goal is to be able to somehow, someday, swim a sprint triathlon of 1/4 to half mile without wearing a wetsuit. With a wetsuit, I can do the OWS portion of a sprint in 1:45/100. In the pool, it is right at 2:00, and a hard 2:00. My coach stresses technique, but at some point, it would be nice to see some gains in distance/endurance too. It has become frustrating to always hear: get lessons, work on technique, you are out of shape (no offense to anyone as I love how everyone on here is always willing to help) BUT, as you said, it is not the same as cycling or running. I have made huge gains in those areas over the last 2 years following some specific plans to increase speed and endurance. My legs are muscular, and they sink. I swim 4000 yards a week, which is not much, but I do the best I can with my schedule, and I can't get in the pool for an hour and just bang out 3000 yards. I am shot after 1200. I really have no point in all this except to say you are not alone!!

4000 yards per week is really hardly any swimming at all.  I get that you have other obligations in life, etc......but you just can't expect much gain with that kind of yardage.....so give yourself a break and just enjoy it.  Those people that you see swimming REALLY fast.....at some point in their lives 95% of them were in a program swimming 30,000 - 60,000 yards per week. (the other 5% aren't as fast as you think they are )  Seriously, you might as well just enjoy the time you get in the pool.

Your legs don't sink because they are muscular, btw.....they sink because you can't swim.  I don't mean that in a mean spirited way.....you just need to understand what you are dealing with.  You don't swim enough.

ding ding ding

2016-07-26 8:05 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by mchadcota2

Originally posted by mike761

At no point did you say you actually took the time to take lessons from a competent instructor and learned good form. Nor do you mention how many yards you swim in a week. There is no shortcut to these 2 items, you have to put in the time in both. If you stop for a while the worse your technique is the slower you will be when you start again.

Your friend practices different than you do and probably learned to swim better than you did. He also may not be honest with you when he tells you he has not been swimming. I have heard a lot of people getting extra workouts in that they don't tell their friends about, probably just trying to be more competitive.

You missed the point of my thread. Its not about why I suck. Its why other beginners or people who do not work at it at all can swim all day long and it doesn't make them tired. Why someone who has never had a lesson or competitive swim background can not swim for months, and go to the pool and hammer out 1500 meters at a 1:24 pace.

there is a big difference between hammering out a 1500 in 22 minutes vs swimming the same distance without tiring.

Since TI has been mentioned a few times, and Mark mentioned TI Balance drills, here is an old article by Terry Laughlin about endurance. Not sure if it will help you specifically, but in general people seem to be in a hurry to swim further and work hard to do so...but workign hard is the opposite of what's needed. Worth a read just for perspective and it also helps answer why someone without conditionong can hammer out a 1500m at 1:24...because there are a few tricks to swimming fast and long that are not purely fitness related.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

2016-07-27 11:51 AM

Originally posted by mike761 At no point did you say you actually took the time to take lessons from a competent instructor and learned good form. Nor do you mention how many yards you swim in a week. There is no shortcut to these 2 items, you have to put in the time in both. If you stop for a while the worse your technique is the slower you will be when you start again. Your friend practices different than you do and probably learned to swim better than you did. He also may not be honest with you when he tells you he has not been swimming. I have heard a lot of people getting extra workouts in that they don't tell their friends about, probably just trying to be more competitive.
To the OP: I am currently being coached by a college swim coach who has been very successful. I also watch videos, read, and practice, practice, practice technique. I FEEL EXACTLY LIKE YOU. I can be in an OWS in a wetsuit and swim 700 yards with less energy expended than without one in a pool swimming 150. I am 57 years old, and my goal is to be able to somehow, someday, swim a sprint triathlon of 1/4 to half mile without wearing a wetsuit. With a wetsuit, I can do the OWS portion of a sprint in 1:45/100. In the pool, it is right at 2:00, and a hard 2:00. My coach stresses technique, but at some point, it would be nice to see some gains in distance/endurance too. It has become frustrating to always hear: get lessons, work on technique, you are out of shape (no offense to anyone as I love how everyone on here is always willing to help) BUT, as you said, it is not the same as cycling or running. I have made huge gains in those areas over the last 2 years following some specific plans to increase speed and endurance. My legs are muscular, and they sink. I swim 4000 yards a week, which is not much, but I do the best I can with my schedule, and I can't get in the pool for an hour and just bang out 3000 yards. I am shot after 1200. I really have no point in all this except to say you are not alone!!

4000 yards per week is really hardly any swimming at all.  I get that you have other obligations in life, etc......but you just can't expect much gain with that kind of yardage.....so give yourself a break and just enjoy it.  Those people that you see swimming REALLY fast.....at some point in their lives 95% of them were in a program swimming 30,000 - 60,000 yards per week. (the other 5% aren't as fast as you think they are )  Seriously, you might as well just enjoy the time you get in the pool.

Your legs don't sink because they are muscular, btw.....they sink because you can't swim.  I don't mean that in a mean spirited way.....you just need to understand what you are dealing with.  You don't swim enough.

Thanks. No offense taken. I appreciate your honest feedback. Right now, I just do the workouts my coach gives me. I do want to increase volume, and feel I will be able to do that this winter. I don't want to steer away from the OP concerns here, but let's say a person wants to swim a half mile in a sprint triathlon effectively, not crazy fast, or slow, but somewhere in the middle. For those of you who do this, how much volume are you doing in a week's practice?
2016-07-27 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran

I love this advice.

I come from a completely different background but understand your struggle. I grew up a fish and swam enough from childhood to college that the black line on the bottom of a pool is enough to make me want to check into a mental hospital. I have always come out of the water in the tops of my AG in events and honestly I devote very little time to swimming compared to the other disciplines.

However, I have always been an average biker and a slow runner from day 1. Essentially, I am a moving speed bump for all of the really fast guys after the swim. My best marathon in an IM event was 5 hours and I was thrilled with this time. I have been running consistently for about 5 years with mileage in the 20-35 range per week and my marathon pace is still an 8:30-9:00 mile.

I had to learn a long time ago that my running was always going to be a weakness. It doesn't mean I stopped trying to get faster, it just meant that I enjoyed the process a lot more. I will never make any money doing this (actually I spend a lot of money to do this) so I decide I am just going to enjoy the journey, celebrate the accomplishments when they come, and not worry about what I can't control. Take some of the pressure off of yourself, enjoy the training you are doing, and celebrate the accomplishments. There is always someone faster than you and only comparing yourself to those people will make the sport a lot less fun.
2016-07-27 1:38 PM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

let's say a person wants to swim a half mile in a sprint triathlon effectively, not crazy fast, or slow, but somewhere in the middle. For those of you who do this, how much volume are you doing in a week's practice?

I depends where you start. If you're mid-pack, and just want to maintain, you can probably do it with a couple 2000 yard workouts a week. If you're in the bottom quarter, and want to get to MOP, it's gonna take more than that.

To meaningfully improve, I think you need to do at least 2 x race distance at race pace 3 times a week. That would be three mile-long sets a week. Obviously you can't do your half mile race pace for a mile straight, so you brake it up into interval work. You could do 18x100, 12x150, 9x200, etc on shortish rest. On top of that, you need a little warm up, cool down, plus maybe one more short set of drill work or sprint work. So that's somewhere around 7500 - 8500 yards a week.
2016-07-28 7:08 AM

User image

Exton, PA

At no point did you say you actually took the time to take lessons from a competent instructor and learned good form. Nor do you mention how many yards you swim in a week. There is no shortcut to these 2 items, you have to put in the time in both. If you stop for a while the worse your technique is the slower you will be when you start again.

Your friend practices different than you do and probably learned to swim better than you did. He also may not be honest with you when he tells you he has not been swimming. I have heard a lot of people getting extra workouts in that they don't tell their friends about, probably just trying to be more competitive.

You missed the point of my thread. Its not about why I suck. Its why other beginners or people who do not work at it at all can swim all day long and it doesn't make them tired. Why someone who has never had a lesson or competitive swim background can not swim for months, and go to the pool and hammer out 1500 meters at a 1:24 pace.

I did not miss your point, let me say it this way> I call BUll@@$%$% on your friend. He did not take 7 months off of swimming and jump in the pool to swim 1500 meters at a 1:25 pace. He is either lying about not swimming or lying about his 1500m swim time, maybe both.

2016-07-28 9:15 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Katy, Texas

I did not miss your point, let me say it this way> I call BUll@@$%$% on your friend. He did not take 7 months off of swimming and jump in the pool to swim 1500 meters at a 1:25 pace. He is either lying about not swimming or lying about his 1500m swim time, maybe both.

I second the BS call, but it doesn't sound like it was on purpose. Sounds like the dude went to a neighborhood pool, which was probably less than 25 yds long, but who knows (I know the one's around me are around 20) and someone mistakenly told him it was 25 meters. So he swam somewhere between 1,200-1,500 yards in 22 minutes. Still pretty darn good for not training, but not out of the realm of possibility.
2016-07-28 11:43 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by 3mar

I second the BS call, but it doesn't sound like it was on purpose. Sounds like the dude went to a neighborhood pool, which was probably less than 25 yds long, but who knows (I know the one's around me are around 20) and someone mistakenly told him it was 25 meters. So he swam somewhere between 1,200-1,500 yards in 22 minutes. Still pretty darn good for not training, but not out of the realm of possibility.

even 22 with no practice in 7 months I don't believe, if he was an ex-swimmer that was doing huge volumes much faster before he stopped then yes. So if it was 22 minutes, it was most like yards (maybe less than 25) and he miscounted and did 56 laps instead of 60(which is not hard to do).
2016-07-28 1:14 PM
in reply to: gary p

Originally posted by gary p

let's say a person wants to swim a half mile in a sprint triathlon effectively, not crazy fast, or slow, but somewhere in the middle. For those of you who do this, how much volume are you doing in a week's practice?

I depends where you start. If you're mid-pack, and just want to maintain, you can probably do it with a couple 2000 yard workouts a week. If you're in the bottom quarter, and want to get to MOP, it's gonna take more than that.

To meaningfully improve, I think you need to do at least 2 x race distance at race pace 3 times a week. That would be three mile-long sets a week. Obviously you can't do your half mile race pace for a mile straight, so you brake it up into interval work. You could do 18x100, 12x150, 9x200, etc on shortish rest. On top of that, you need a little warm up, cool down, plus maybe one more short set of drill work or sprint work. So that's somewhere around 7500 - 8500 yards a week.

Thanks for your reply! Makes sense. Looks like lots of pool time this winter
2016-07-28 3:39 PM
in reply to: #5192464

nashville, Tennessee
Yeah I have come to realize that something was not right. Although the only way I believed him was that that he sent me a pic of his garmin that said 1500 m and 1:24 pace. So it must have been a short pool.
2016-07-28 4:57 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by mchadcota2Yeah I have come to realize that something was not right. Although the only way I believed him was that that he sent me a pic of his garmin that said 1500 m and 1:24 pace. So it must have been a short pool.
He probably got it from a walk he did.

2016-07-29 7:24 AM
in reply to: #5193091

nashville, Tennessee
Haha!! Did t think about that. Got me good
2016-07-29 8:21 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mchadcota2 The problem with slowing down is, when I go slow, my form falls apart. I have to maintain a certain speed or my legs and hips will sink. Its a conundrum.

That's a huge clue right there. Swimming slow enough to virtually eliminate the lift generated by forward motion can be a good way to evaluate your balance. If everything breaks down, and your hips and legs sink, it can be an indication that you have poor balance.  Just speculating without having seen you swim, the first things I'd look at are your head position and how flat or steep the angle of your entry is. Frequently,  dropping your head a little deeper into the water with a relaxed neck combined with a steeper, wider entry to a deeper, wider catch (imagine you're sliding ypur hands out over the curved hood of a Volkswagen Beetle towards the headlights) will go a long ways towards fixing sinking hips and legs.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming mystery Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

swim fins mystery

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 4221 Posts: 8

2011-02-24 11:31 PM faded_memories

TEAM SKINNY "Its a Mystery" 08/01//2007 weighin

Started by saling4
Views: 1081 Posts: 19

2007-08-07 7:40 PM saling4

Nutrition Mystery

Started by TriMike
Views: 1041 Posts: 17

2007-03-08 8:58 AM Artemis

HR mystery SOLVED

Started by sue7013
Views: 613 Posts: 6

2006-08-04 4:25 AM sue7013

Heart Rate mysteries..pls help

Started by Bcozican
Views: 684 Posts: 4

2006-02-27 8:00 PM vortmax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2015
author : CoachCK
comments : 1
It's time to improve upon your weakness in the water and start swimming faster. Instead of ignoring your swim skills (or lack thereof), it’s time to face them head-on.

date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...