General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aqua bike training plan - 8 weeks to go Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-25 11:41 AM

Subject: Aqua bike training plan - 8 weeks to go
Hi All;

One of my master swimmer friends talked me into doing an Aqua Bike on September 17. It is a 1.2 mile swim and 54 mile bike.

I swim 3 times a week with the Master's group doing 9K+ per week so swimming won't be an issue (based on my OWS times vs. the times last year, I'll be one of the top swimmers).

Biking has me concerned. I've never biked that distance (longest is 32 miles this year). I have a small base as I mountain bike and have gone 1-2 times a week since the spring but I was only getting 50-100 miles in per month. I was considering the AB race in early July so I picked up the mileage and I've ridden 224 miles so far this month. One thing I have noticed is that I may have put in too many miles in July as my average mph (all on similar terrain) is getting worse. Not sure if that is fatigue or how hot/humid it has gotten or a combination of both. I do get at least 3 days of rest off the bike per week and 1 day completely off so I'm not sure doing too much is the cause.

The last couple of weeks I've made a goal of riding at least 50 miles per week with at least 1 "long" ride of 25-35 miles (riding 3-4 times per week). My plan is to ramp up the long ride over time and do the course at least 1 time. My week looks something like this: Swim 1 hour on T/TH/S. Riding Monday, Wednesday, Saturday and/or Sunday (short rides are between 10-17 miles). On Saturdays I will usually ride to the pool and back (only 6.4 miles each way). If I make Saturday my long ride, I will add it on to the ride home and take Sunday off. If Sunday is my long day, I'll just ride to swim and back.

With only 8 weeks to go and no goal of competing, will this be enough "training" or would I be better off coming up with a specific plan? If a specific plan, any thoughts as to what that should look like?

If I like it, I will look into putting more emphasis on bike training in order to actually "compete" (as of now, I'm unsure what that means other than to significantly improve on my bike leg).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2016-07-25 10:21 PM
in reply to: stipey169

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Aqua bike training plan - 8 weeks to go
i think what you wrote about is just fine.
2016-07-26 1:59 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Subject: RE: Aqua bike training plan - 8 weeks to go
Thanks!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aqua bike training plan - 8 weeks to go Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2 weeks to go - how is my plan?

Started by badmo77a
Views: 735 Posts: 4

2015-05-26 11:53 PM kloofyroland

Making a 10 week plan, a 12 week plan

Started by Aly_mc
Views: 1036 Posts: 3

2014-03-08 10:49 AM Aly_mc

20 week or 16 week Oly training plan?

Started by kevinbe
Views: 987 Posts: 4

2011-08-19 10:42 AM bsc77

Training Plans for Multisport Athletes vs Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Gui

Started by jdevito20
Views: 2246 Posts: 7

2008-05-12 5:15 PM Aikidoman

Finished run/walk portion of aggressive plan...4 weeks to go

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 695 Posts: 6

2004-11-08 7:43 AM gsmacleod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 7
After three triathlon seasons, I finally decided that I wanted to actually see well during the swim portion. My vision is not so great. I had to find better goggles.

date : January 25, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Is there any point in time of a training plan where a "big week" would be most optimal? This article discusses sports rotation and other high volume week options to improve.
date : February 22, 2012
How to plan a week of triathlon training so that you don't end up inconsistent, burnt-out or sick.

date : July 19, 2009
This training plan has only 2 workouts per sport per week and peaks at 7.5 hours per week of training. Use this plan if you are time constrained or if you want to focus more on your family.
date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.

date : October 24, 2005
The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. The maximum volume is around 7 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
author : Team BT
This training plan allows you to add two days of strength training to any other plan

The schedule consists of at least 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. Most weeks have 4 days of cycling. The maximum volume is around 11 hours.