General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM recovery race advice needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-25 11:45 AM

Subject: HIM recovery race advice needed
Hi

I completed my first HIM on Saturday, I was still having probes with hamstring tightness and was careful and stuck strictly to race plan which was great. I suffer d from dehydration afterwards

I was unable to sleep after the race, and I only had a few hours last night, my hamstrings and upper leg muscles are jerking my legs are quivering and twitching intermittently . I have kept moving but only by walking about, I've had 2 hot baths to soack muscle. Tiny foam roller with towels on tops..usual hot/ice. My jerking etc has not reduced, I can't sleep, it's really warm outside but I've just had to get quilt out and hot water bottle to warm up as keeping getting really chilly.....I have been eating no continue to drink water
Any idea what's going on? Will this pass ?
Thank you am feeling a worried

2016-07-25 10:16 PM
in reply to: loops

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: HIM recovery race advice needed
Hope you ane ok, Not sure exactly what is going on - you are throwing me off with the chills.

I will say this, as endurance athletes we are especially susceptible to Low Magnesium levels that can affect a whole lot of things as mag plays a role in over 300 body reactions. The problem is that magnesium deficiency can't really be solved over night. Maybe you got sick as well as being severely dehydrated. Here are two pieces that I wrote, on on Magnesium, the other just yesterday on recovery from a Full Ironman.

Recovery from Ironman: http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2016/07/pro-recovery-tips-for-your-iro...

Magnesium: http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2016/05/mgsport-best-magnesium-supplem...
2016-07-26 7:16 AM

User image

The chills thing is weird. With the dehydration, I wonder if you need more than just water. My blood pressure runs a bit low, and when it gets too low, I get cold easily. When that happens, I have to be careful about hot baths because the vascodilation will actually make the BP lower. I suspect that you need electrolytes, which could also help with the twitchy muscles. Try taking some Gatorade and adding a bit of salt. Also, Pedialyte is great for replenishing electrolytes. I used it before my last HIM when I got food poisoning three days before the race. Maybe eat a couple pickles or drink some juice.

The twitchy muscles are fairly typical, especially the first night, and a lot of people report that they have a hard time sleeping after a really hard effort.
2016-07-26 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I often have the chills and occasionally the twitching issues after longer races in the tropics. Probably (assuming you're not just coming down with a virus) due to some kind of electrolyte imbalance plus fatigue and maybe heat exhaustion. I would keep hydrating with sports drink rather than water; try to eat bananas and other fruits rich in potassium. In my experience, the second day after a HIM is usually the worst (occasionally it's the first day, particularly if you cramped); then it starts to get better.
2016-07-26 9:09 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner I often have the chills and occasionally the twitching issues after longer races in the tropics. Probably (assuming you're not just coming down with a virus) due to some kind of electrolyte imbalance plus fatigue and maybe heat exhaustion. I would keep hydrating with sports drink rather than water; try to eat bananas and other fruits rich in potassium. In my experience, the second day after a HIM is usually the worst (occasionally it's the first day, particularly if you cramped); then it starts to get better.

^^^This^^^  Assuming it's not the Ironman crud, and it's dehydration, electrolyte shortage, and fatigue, you'll feel better in 2-3 days if you eat a nutrient rich diet (lots of a variety of fruits and vegetables) and continue to drink.

2016-07-26 3:28 PM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

HI
These are really interesting thank you

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM recovery race advice needed Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sick Before A Race - NEED ADVICE!!!

Started by dorkasaurusrex
Views: 886 Posts: 4

2007-09-12 7:02 PM dorkasaurusrex

First Season Races - advice needed for newbie

Started by hannahs
Views: 1255 Posts: 10

2006-10-19 4:11 PM enginerd

calculating my race pace today on the run...need advice

Started by lablover
Views: 880 Posts: 2

2005-06-02 11:38 AM Rollin' Thunder

Advice needed to reverse post-race training lethargy

Started by dovmike
Views: 816 Posts: 6

2005-06-02 10:39 AM dhlundblad

5 more days till race, need a little more advice

Started by tsiltman
Views: 927 Posts: 8

2004-08-10 6:04 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Free Triathlon Online Mentoring Open Now

date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.