General Discussion Triathlon Talk » my swim stroke analysis video Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-26 7:26 AM

Subject: my swim stroke analysis video
I thought I would share my video taken at a swim clinic I attended thinking maybe it could help show others some things NOT to do. Clinic was great and video was super helpful showing me some things I don't really feel in the water at this point.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnwYPsYz3WWhh5l-9m7ZXteRmr3ejg

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnwYPsYz3WWhh5l0ka1oHsNxmNBf3g

Some obvious issues.

* crossover especially with right arm
* left hand entry - I'm just laying the hand on top of the water
* lack of a high elbow catch. pulling with mostly straight arm.
* head is often too low in water making it harder to turn to breath as I look basically straight down
* slight kick from knee rather than hip. least of my concerns.

Lots of things to work on but the video was enlightening for me.

Feel free to critique

Edited by TriTampa2 2016-07-26 7:42 AM

2016-07-26 10:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: my swim stroke analysis video
No swim expert but here's what I saw:

• Right hand is entering too early and you don't fully extend it. It's also too far in the center line.

• You don't really have a catch. You're just pulling your arms strait down. Do some fist drills and forgot the name of it but my coach has do these drills with both arms out, I leave one arm out and the other one I do a half catch where my elbow is high and my arm is pointing strait down. Then I go back to both arms fully out (so like a reverse catch to get them strait again) and then do a normal full stroke with a breath. This really gets you to focus on the catch.

• You stop kicking every time you take a breath. Try to get this as a continuous smooth motion

Edited by Blastman 2016-07-26 10:20 PM
2016-07-27 6:58 AM
in reply to: Blastman

Yep. Right hand/arm are a problem as well as catch. Couple drills I'm doing to help with those things are some kick on side drills to help with alignment and a doggy paddle drill to help with my catch. There's another kick on side drill called broken arrow to help with loosening up my shoulders which is a problem for me. I definitely need to work on my flexibility.
2016-07-27 4:49 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

That video made me a little dizzy. Beautiful pool though.

The issue that I see most of all is that you are spinning your arms like a windmill. You want to leave that leading arm out there until the next arm starts to enter the water.

Your kick is actually probably a symptom of all the other things going on. When I watch I can see that about every 3 beats you do a much deeper kick almost a scissor. This is usually because people feel like they are sinking and kick to get back to the surface. It also is normally timed with breathing because people take a slower stroke when they breathe. You want your kick to be a nice even pitter patter behind you. Think of it like a metronome 1-2-3-stroke-1-2-3-stroke.

It can be very hard to work on putting all this together. If you want to work on your arm stroke I would go ahead and use your pull buoy so that you aren't having to also think about your kick.

I do not think your head is too low. I do think you are lifting your head when you breathe. Focus on rotating more with your hips and sneaking a quick breath (not taking a nice long breath) make sure you exhale with your face in the water.

2016-07-27 8:29 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

Originally posted by miamiamy

That video made me a little dizzy. Beautiful pool though.

The issue that I see most of all is that you are spinning your arms like a windmill. You want to leave that leading arm out there until the next arm starts to enter the water.

Your kick is actually probably a symptom of all the other things going on. When I watch I can see that about every 3 beats you do a much deeper kick almost a scissor. This is usually because people feel like they are sinking and kick to get back to the surface. It also is normally timed with breathing because people take a slower stroke when they breathe. You want your kick to be a nice even pitter patter behind you. Think of it like a metronome 1-2-3-stroke-1-2-3-stroke.

It can be very hard to work on putting all this together. If you want to work on your arm stroke I would go ahead and use your pull buoy so that you aren't having to also think about your kick.

I do not think your head is too low. I do think you are lifting your head when you breathe. Focus on rotating more with your hips and sneaking a quick breath (not taking a nice long breath) make sure you exhale with your face in the water.

Thanks for the feedback. Yep. Ill definitely be focusing on arm stroke first so I'll be using the pull buoy some as well as some fins for various drills. I also need to work on my flexibility in my chest and upper back as that certainly is not helping me. I've just started using a snorkel for some drills as that also allows me me to focus on my stroke and not worry about turning to breath. I've just started with the swim smooth stuff and so far logically it makes sense and they drive home the point that it's a process and everything can't be fixed at once.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » my swim stroke analysis video Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Denver Post Article and Swim Video Analysis

Started by mikericci
Views: 1168 Posts: 1

2013-03-12 7:26 AM mikericci

Swim Stroke Analysis Results

Started by morey000
Views: 1936 Posts: 18

2012-07-07 1:48 PM AdventureBear

Swim stroke analysis

Started by dhopman
Views: 1208 Posts: 10

2011-03-11 12:43 PM thechrisman

Recs for online swim stroke analysis?

Started by KauaiShan
Views: 743 Posts: 4

2010-06-08 1:23 PM Oldteen

Total Immersion.net now has swim stroke analysis online

Started by mycarguy
Views: 603 Posts: 1

2010-02-05 6:22 AM mycarguy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
How important is it to decrease your stroke count?

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The catch-up swim drill will allow you to extend each stroke out to it's fullest before hand entry.

The single arm drill ensures that you are getting the rotation you need throughout your stroke.
Some examples of easy 'loosen' swim strokes that are used for recovery.

date : November 17, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re continuing intervals. The focus will be on speeding up while maintaining good stroke technique, lots of stroke counting this time.
date : September 8, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on racing in the heat, electrolytes, weightloss and long distance training, the best way to improve your run, taper psychology, the best gel and the benefits of a swim stroke analysis.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.