General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Putting Road Tires On CX bike for Spritn - Need Tire Help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-26 8:24 AM

User image

Subject: Putting Road Tires On CX bike for Spritn - Need Tire Help!
I have decided to just use my CX bike (TREK Crossrip Elite) that I use for messing around on for my sprint. Not wanting to drop significant amount of money quite yet on a new road bike. May look for a steal in the off-season to use for my HIM in a year or so.

After reading a lot and receiving input I am going to put road tires on my CX...problem is, I don't know where to start. What kind of tires/tubs will fit on my wheelset? Which ones would be recommended? Can I swap them out easy enough on my own?

I appreciate your help! Learning a lot, and loving my tri training thus far!

2016-07-26 8:38 AM
in reply to: jmhall0123

, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Putting Road Tires On CX bike for Spritn - Need Tire Help!
You should be able to go to a 28mm tire on your rims. Swapping is not hard and you should learn how to do it anyway. How much do you weigh and how much do you want to spend per tire? There are so many choices . . .
2016-07-26 8:41 AM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Originally posted by MikeD1

You should be able to go to a 28mm tire on your rims. Swapping is not hard and you should learn how to do it anyway. How much do you weigh and how much do you want to spend per tire? There are so many choices . . .

Thanks for the quick response. I am currently sitting around 205lbs lean. Not wanting to spend too much, but I don't know what too much is. I would rather make my investment worthwhile to use this for a few sprints/OLY and have as a second set aside from upgrading to having a summer/race bike.
2016-07-26 8:43 AM

User image

Chances are that most 25 mm will fit your bike, but it depends on your rims. There is a lot of evidence that you can ride 27 or 28 mm without additional rolling resistance. If you can change a tire (and if you can't--learn), you can change your tires. You can just take one of the wheels, or the whole bike, into the shop and ask if a smaller tire would fit.

Are you currently racing CX, or is this a bike that you just use for commuting and such? What tires do you have on there already? You want them to be slicks, because too much traction will slow you down. Off-the-cuff suggestion without knowing more about your rims, 25 or 28 mm Continentals. Gatorskins are OK, but do not let anyone talk you into Armadillos. However, if this is your first race, and it is only a 12 mi ride, and you want to save money, you could just stick with what you have. People ride mountain bikes and touring bikes and beach cruisers and everything else in sprints. I saw someone ride a fat bike in a hilly oly. Your regular CX tires won't be the bulkiest or nobbiest things on the course.
2016-07-26 9:17 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Originally posted by happyscientist

Chances are that most 25 mm will fit your bike, but it depends on your rims. There is a lot of evidence that you can ride 27 or 28 mm without additional rolling resistance. If you can change a tire (and if you can't--learn), you can change your tires. You can just take one of the wheels, or the whole bike, into the shop and ask if a smaller tire would fit.

Are you currently racing CX, or is this a bike that you just use for commuting and such? What tires do you have on there already? You want them to be slicks, because too much traction will slow you down. Off-the-cuff suggestion without knowing more about your rims, 25 or 28 mm Continentals. Gatorskins are OK, but do not let anyone talk you into Armadillos. However, if this is your first race, and it is only a 12 mi ride, and you want to save money, you could just stick with what you have. People ride mountain bikes and touring bikes and beach cruisers and everything else in sprints. I saw someone ride a fat bike in a hilly oly. Your regular CX tires won't be the bulkiest or nobbiest things on the course.

This is a bike I have been using for bumming around the city and such. I have taken it out on a 30mi bike ride, nothing too fast though. I am unsure which tires are on it already, they are stubby though. Gotcha, I appreciate your input. Maybe I'll swing it by a shop and see what they'd suggest.
2016-07-26 9:29 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
if you want to be ultra specific measure your rims width internally and use this red/green chart. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Personally I have had everything from 23c(on the trainer), 25c, and currently 32c road tires on my CX bike. Stock offroad tires were 35c. I went cheap and big because the roads I ride are rough and to be honest I dont really care if I am going 30km/h vs 30.5km/h on a "faster tire". I have Vittoria Zaffiros Pros which are certainly a training tire but work well on my bike and my conditions. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/vittoria-zaffiro-pro-road-...

For tubes you should watch your sizes as well, they will typically be sized as 20 - 25c, 32-47c etc. Just be sure to get the right size. You CAN use a 20-25c in a big tire it will just be inflated more and will be stretched a little more and possibly be easier to flat. Tubes arent too expensive get the right ones.

As a matter of practicality you should absolutely learn how to change your tires. This will help if you get a flat but also when you want to put those CX tires back on - running back and forth to the bike shop is a pain.

2016-07-26 9:36 AM

, Wisconsin
That bike should be very close in speed to a true road bike. Unless you're really competing, that bike should serve you quite well. Some 28mm or maybe 25mm road tires will roll somewhat easier on pavement than what you have now. On the Trek site I didn't see a width spec for the rim, but it probably is labeled on the rim itself. There are online charts that will tell you what tire widths you can use on that rim width. Taking it to a good shop is okay and you're supporting the local folks. I try to support my local shops when I can, but being really tight with my money I usually prefer to DIY and buying online will often save me 30-40% on the price of supplies and parts and quite a bit in labor costs as well. Plus, I enjoy doing most of my own wrenching and have found there are plenty of videos etc.online to learn how to do most anything needed on a bike.
2016-07-26 9:52 AM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Originally posted by DaveL

if you want to be ultra specific measure your rims width internally and use this red/green chart. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Personally I have had everything from 23c(on the trainer), 25c, and currently 32c road tires on my CX bike. Stock offroad tires were 35c. I went cheap and big because the roads I ride are rough and to be honest I dont really care if I am going 30km/h vs 30.5km/h on a "faster tire". I have Vittoria Zaffiros Pros which are certainly a training tire but work well on my bike and my conditions. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/vittoria-zaffiro-pro-road-...

For tubes you should watch your sizes as well, they will typically be sized as 20 - 25c, 32-47c etc. Just be sure to get the right size. You CAN use a 20-25c in a big tire it will just be inflated more and will be stretched a little more and possibly be easier to flat. Tubes arent too expensive get the right ones.

As a matter of practicality you should absolutely learn how to change your tires. This will help if you get a flat but also when you want to put those CX tires back on - running back and forth to the bike shop is a pain.

Originally posted by MikeD1

That bike should be very close in speed to a true road bike. Unless you're really competing, that bike should serve you quite well. Some 28mm or maybe 25mm road tires will roll somewhat easier on pavement than what you have now. On the Trek site I didn't see a width spec for the rim, but it probably is labeled on the rim itself. There are online charts that will tell you what tire widths you can use on that rim width. Taking it to a good shop is okay and you're supporting the local folks. I try to support my local shops when I can, but being really tight with my money I usually prefer to DIY and buying online will often save me 30-40% on the price of supplies and parts and quite a bit in labor costs as well. Plus, I enjoy doing most of my own wrenching and have found there are plenty of videos etc.online to learn how to do most anything needed on a bike.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your feedback!

Assuming 700v25 will work with my bike, do you have any specific recommendations on tires and tubes for this newbie?

And possibly somewhere that would ship it to me before this weekend? Amazon? Or should I just go into a shop and buy the tires there since I'd like to have it before friday so I can put them on.
2016-07-26 9:54 AM

User image

Super newbie question incoming. When buying tires, do they normal come as 1 or in pairs?
2016-07-26 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by jmhall0123

Super newbie question incoming. When buying tires, do they normal come as 1 or in pairs?

If you don't like flats use Conti GP4000S II tires. Retail around town will run you $60-$80 but Probikekit has them on sale. Not sure of your time frame ships from UK but i've used them numberous times with good success.

These tires are one of the best for durability and good rolling resistance.

http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-tyres/continental-grand-prix-4000...
2016-07-26 11:02 AM

User image

I've only bought a few tires in my life (1/2 dozen perhaps?) and they were all sold individually. I would imagine most people buy them in pairs though. The receipt would just have two items instead of one.

Since the bike shop local to me doesn't stock the size tire my vintage Schwinns use, I had to mail order them. When I ordered them I ordered new rim tape (don't know if that's the correct term?) and 2 new tubes per tire. So my order was 2 tires, 4 tubes, and 2 rim tapes. That saved me a bit on shipping I would think and I had a few extra tubes at the ready.

I did buy a set of My. Tuffy tube liners from my local bike shop and put those on. Before I put them in I probably averaged about 200 between flat tires. Since I've put them on, I probably have about 500 since my last flat.

J White

2016-07-26 12:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I use my CX bike as my day to day road bike. I had 28mm gator skins that kept flatting so I went out on a limb and guessed they had seen better days. I went ahead and bought a set of Conti GP 4000's in the same size and absolutely love them. One of the best tires out there... low rolling resistance and decent puncture resistance.

Edit to add - I believe they were around $45 on Amazon. It's $10 more than you might pay if you get them from the UK, but $20 more than a local shop and they were shipped free and magically showed up at my house in two days. I love Amazon Prime.

Edited by Toefuzz 2016-07-26 12:27 PM
2016-07-26 12:57 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by reecealan
Originally posted by jmhall0123 Super newbie question incoming. When buying tires, do they normal come as 1 or in pairs?
If you don't like flats use Conti GP4000S II tires. Retail around town will run you $60-$80 but Probikekit has them on sale. Not sure of your time frame ships from UK but i've used them numberous times with good success. These tires are one of the best for durability and good rolling resistance. http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-tyres/continental-grand-prix-4000...
X2 on using the GP4000 tires, that's a good price at PBK.  It's a solid dependable tire that rolls well.  Put on a 28C (measures ~31mm wide) with 80-90 psi and you'll have a nice ride quality. Just use any butyl tube if you not concerned about squeaking out every watt of rolling resistance.  If you are then find a Latex for wide tires to use such as the Vittoria 25-28 tubes.

2016-07-26 1:54 PM
in reply to: #5192636

I am a total newbie as well and did exactly what you asked. I only had a cx bike. Took it to a local bike shop or "LBS" as I'm learning the lingo. I went with 25's and WOW did I see a difference. Some speed increase but more that I could go further because less power needed to go same speed as in past. Going to the shop helped because they talked me through the whole process so I learned how to change tires and got two demonstrations. Worth the extra couple $ they charge vs finding bargain online. Because my roads are tough and was used to using cx tires, I went with gator skins for my first smooth tire
2016-07-26 4:52 PM
in reply to: Donto

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by jmhall0123 Super newbie question incoming. When buying tires, do they normal come as 1 or in pairs?
If you don't like flats use Conti GP4000S II tires. Retail around town will run you $60-$80 but Probikekit has them on sale. Not sure of your time frame ships from UK but i've used them numberous times with good success. These tires are one of the best for durability and good rolling resistance. http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-tyres/continental-grand-prix-4000...
X2 on using the GP4000 tires, that's a good price at PBK.  It's a solid dependable tire that rolls well.  Put on a 28C (measures ~31mm wide) with 80-90 psi and you'll have a nice ride quality. Just use any butyl tube if you not concerned about squeaking out every watt of rolling resistance.  If you are then find a Latex for wide tires to use such as the Vittoria 25-28 tubes.

Yep, Conti GP 4000 II are great tires as far as I'm concerned, but they are pretty pricey unless you get them on sale or overseas. For a newbie, I'd definitely stick with butyl tubes for now. Latex are great, but you have to be very meticulous installing them, and they need to be pumped up every time you ride.
2016-07-26 6:09 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Originally posted by Donto

Ribble has them on sale for just under $64 for a twin pack.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/continental-gp4000s-ii-twinpack/

2016-07-27 7:39 AM
in reply to: TriToFinish57

User image

Thanks for all the suggestions and input!

I went ahead and got a pair of GP4000 tires, not the best price but decent and got them same day from Amazon which was helpful.

Going to try and put them on myself later this afternoon. Hopefully I'll like the ride this weekend, got 45miles planned.
2016-08-02 8:58 AM
in reply to: TriToFinish57

User image

With a little trial and error (putting too much air into my tire before putting it on the wheel = balloon animals ) I did it myself, good to experience it this way even though I got a bit frustrated.

Used the new set up on a 45 mile ride from Saratoga Lake to Lake George, it went well! Bike feels a bit lighter which is great, just don't think my set up is the best for climbing hills.

Thanks everyone for your help!!
2016-08-03 9:52 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by jmhall0123 With a little trial and error (putting too much air into my tire before putting it on the wheel = balloon animals ) I did it myself, good to experience it this way even though I got a bit frustrated. Used the new set up on a 45 mile ride from Saratoga Lake to Lake George, it went well! Bike feels a bit lighter which is great, just don't think my set up is the best for climbing hills. Thanks everyone for your help!!
I'm curious, what size tire did you go with?  

2016-08-03 10:03 AM

User image

Durham, North Carolina

With a little trial and error (putting too much air into my tire before putting it on the wheel = balloon animals ) I did it myself, good to experience it this way even though I got a bit frustrated.

Used the new set up on a 45 mile ride from Saratoga Lake to Lake George, it went well! Bike feels a bit lighter which is great, just don't think my set up is the best for climbing hills.

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Just curious as to why you don't think its good for climbing hills? I use my CX bike as my road bike, and just swap the wheels and crank out come CX season. A standard CX crank and cassette should offer you an easy enough gear range to make it up most hills with a decent cadence. The only thing I could think of would be dropping more money on a better wheelset (the metal/carbon part not rubber), but that really doesn't make that big of a difference IMO. The benefit of that is that you can transfer those better wheels to your race bike when you decide to get that.
2016-08-03 1:30 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Originally posted by Lupy

I went with 700x25 - Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II Road Clincher.

Just curious as to why you don't think its good for climbing hills? I use my CX bike as my road bike, and just swap the wheels and crank out come CX season. A standard CX crank and cassette should offer you an easy enough gear range to make it up most hills with a decent cadence. The only thing I could think of would be dropping more money on a better wheelset (the metal/carbon part not rubber), but that really doesn't make that big of a difference IMO. The benefit of that is that you can transfer those better wheels to your race bike when you decide to get that.

My leg strength is great (long time lifter, and some marathons) so I can crush hills. When I got on my girlfriends specialized bike , even tho its a tad small, I can cruise up hills. Maybe it was just the weight difference or in my head ha.

Gotcha. Its something I just thought, might of been the situation that led me to think that or other things I have read. Going to ride this combo out until I can find a steal hopefully this winter on a bike in the range of $1-$1.5k.

2016-08-04 8:14 AM

User image

Durham, North Carolina

I went with 700x25 - Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II Road Clincher.

My leg strength is great (long time lifter, and some marathons) so I can crush hills. When I got on my girlfriends specialized bike , even tho its a tad small, I can cruise up hills. Maybe it was just the weight difference or in my head ha.

Gotcha. Its something I just thought, might of been the situation that led me to think that or other things I have read. Going to ride this combo out until I can find a steal hopefully this winter on a bike in the range of $1-$1.5k.

I picked a full carbon framed SRAM rival level used tri bike well within your budget. I even slightly overpaid because I was hung up on a specefic color and it was the only one available. You should have no problem finding one to fit your budget. Check out "online swap meet" group on facebook. That's where I got mine.
2016-08-06 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

It was a good learning experience then, the first time doing anything will certainly take more time and will bound to be a bit frustrating. Now just imagine trying to change that first flat tire during a race!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Putting Road Tires On CX bike for Spritn - Need Tire Help! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Road tire size for cx bike

Started by Lupy
Views: 1198 Posts: 11

2015-09-09 7:01 AM Donto

Putting beand new tires on a bike

Started by todd.chestnut
Views: 1067 Posts: 12

2011-06-25 10:14 PM EKH

Mnt bike tires on a road bike

Started by Gaarryy
Views: 1183 Posts: 9

2009-07-07 9:06 AM Gaarryy

NEED HELP ASAP!!!! Rear Bike Tire Change

Started by jennrs
Views: 880 Posts: 3

2006-07-19 8:23 PM jennrs

Tires, tires, tires

Started by poolejr
Views: 1798 Posts: 15

2006-04-06 11:32 AM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Bike maintenance chores to do daily, weekly, monthly and annually

date : May 30, 2016
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Even if you can't change a flat, carry these items:
date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : January 1, 2008
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 3
One procedure for changing a tire that you might learn from, but certainly don't want to follow precisely!