General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Windsor, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 48s
Overall Rank = 39/1200
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/80
Pre-race routine:

My brother was with me, he got up to run at 3:30 am......thought I had set the alarm... I didn't.....got up nearly 40 minutes too late. Didn't panic because I knew my swim wave start was nearly an hour after transition close time, so I had personal prep time there
Event warmup:

Quick transition setup. Very light run to get loose, stretch, warm up the rotator cuff and shoulder girdle. 6 weeks since my crash and shoulder damage. Made sure to keep to my current routine. It was already hot, so did just enough to be loose.
Swim
  • 10m 30s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

I know I am not a fast swimmer but if I was alone to swim this course I'd do it 8 minutes. I really HATE triathlon swims, it's everything but swimming your rhythm, pace and effort level and how bunch of clusterfuck variables to deal with, and you get a 10.30 time that requires a great bike leg. It helps knowing I can do that, but it's VERY disheartening during the swim mentally
What would you do differently?:

Swim alone lol
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

about 75 yards or so run to my Transition spot. All went well. Long run with bike out of transition
Bike
  • 27m 14s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 25.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I really enjoyed the course. I knew I had some swim time to make up and I was determined. Could feel the hot weather despite the cooling wind created from riding

Go harder around turns. I did recon the route but still could have been a tad less cautious and require less power surging to get back up to my race pace planned speed average
Transition 2
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

AS stated it was a long run from course to transition and it was crowded and i passed a few people but I think I was a little too patient and courteous because it got a little log jammed. A LOT of people in this race overall. Downed a Gu gel and a squig of my mix and headed out. Gel was done with free hand while running in

Be MORE aggressive
Run
  • 23m 42s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 44s  min/km
Comments:

Well, since I had my crash I hadn't had a prep race like I planned to see my performance off racing on the slice into the run. I did get a few lighter bricks in but this was my first test of performance off an tt aero effort into the run. The moment off the bike you could feel the heat!! They had ice cold soaked towels for us in first mile which was great. I did take an extra half cup of water and it did take me first mile to get legs loose to run. I was pumped off the bike. The course was narrow, often, passers had to do so on the grass or dirt edge. I actually had to slow down twice and over accelerate twice because of the crowded moments and I did NOT LIKE THAT. My running has improved but surges like that in the heat with naggy hammies was not what I wanted. I'd rather lock in my pace accordingly and just finish. Moment my feet first hit the ground I can't wait till the run is over lol
*I knew I was below what I planned and basically used that frustration to sprint home the final 150 yards or so. Lots of people screaming inspired me more....I passed two men that actually turned out to be in my age group to propel me into 4th in AG and up several overall spots. I'm left wondering if I could've done that longer than that. I still have much to learn, but feel potential

Don't know. I was somewhat affected by the hardest tt effort on the bike into a run and it WAS hot. I planned on a 7 minute pace. SO this pace is somewhat disappointing
Post race
Warm down:

Misting tent misting tent misting tent - Nuff said lol

Water water water and light stretching and get the heck out of the sun

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat - The lack of a prep race - but I am grateful I was able to race after the crash in such short time with recovered shoulder damage

Event comments:

Great race event. It's the NJ State and gets accolades for it. Gorgeous lake, spirited bike course and lots of run shade (though narrow paths) Great DJ, lots of available liquids in the heat and great misting tents. I had higher hopes for my performance in this race. But the usual swim frustration and heat were uncontrollable variables. My bike just keeps getting better! I expect to get better running off the higher bike efforts. Really wish I had the planned prep. I KNOW it'd of made a difference going into this race. But as stated.....grateful I was physically recovered to do so. My crash could've been drastically worse

Last updated: 2016-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:30 | 500 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/80
Overall: 70/1200
Performance: Bad
Suit: NO WETSUIT - Too hot
Course: 2 left hand turns
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:27:14 | 11.5 miles | 25.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/80
Overall: 6/1200
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Great Rollers, great tarmac, attacked the heck out of this course. First time racing on the Slice and loved every minute of it. Still feel like I can do more.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 94
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:42 | 05 kms | 04m 44s  min/km
Age Group: 4/80
Overall: 44/1200
Performance: Average
Course: narrow windy run paths through the park with lots of people on the course
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-07-28 8:55 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by hessma
Views: 1251 Posts: 1

2013-07-22 9:15 AM hessma

Started by tpleff
Views: 1153 Posts: 1

2013-07-21 10:59 AM tpleff

Started by rye11
Views: 1112 Posts: 1

2013-07-21 6:25 AM rye11

Started by stevepiv
Views: 1295 Posts: 1

2013-07-20 1:30 PM stevepiv

Started by Hesketh
Views: 947 Posts: 1

2012-09-17 10:15 AM Hesketh
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.

date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!