BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-08-30 2:18 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I like this idea. Will have to see what, if any, "body marking" like that is allowed at Worlds.

Karen, I think it doesn't matter if you have any body marking or not, especially in the race that has plenty of rules. Having the purpose and dedication in your mind is what this is all about

2016-08-30 2:24 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by fortissimo

Originally posted by jmkizer

Robin, inquiring minds want to know, how many parents showed up on Friday? ;-)

About 40-50 out of 625 kids. Of those, only 15 stayed for the community movie we showed on the football field.

Did I mention our principal, you know, the guy who set this up and told us we had to be there, didn't even show up? He had a previous commitment.

Omg, seriously...? So bizarre...
My kids' school has a new principal this year. We shall see how it goes. She seems she knows what she's doing and get things done, so I am staying very positive.
Our previous principal (retired) was very engaged with kids' lives. He was outside the school every morning greeting every single child. He knew all the names, even parents' names. He was very caring and dedicated. We will truly miss him, but I bet the new person will have plenty of good vibes and will bring some benefits to our school and community. School starts next week....
2016-08-30 5:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Robin, inquiring minds want to know, how many parents showed up on Friday? ;-)

About 40-50 out of 625 kids. Of those, only 15 stayed for the community movie we showed on the football field.

Did I mention our principal, you know, the guy who set this up and told us we had to be there, didn't even show up? He had a previous commitment.
Thats poor form from your Principals. If one of our principals did that their teachers would linch them.

We don't do back to school nights here, we have a registration day where parents come and pick up books and maybe new uniforms and kids check out their classrooms.

What generally happens on a back to school night for you guys?
2016-08-30 6:55 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It's actually called Curriculum Night and we introduce ourselves, talk about what we're going to teach and how, discuss any new changes for the year, homework and other classroom policies, etc. Part meet and greet and part info meeting. It can be interesting, sometimes because some of the cultures in our community have really different ideas of what is okay to discuss in public (in many Asian schools, parent conferences as we know them are public) and they will try to ask really detailed questions about how their child is doing or give me information I'd consider confidential (like a kid started her period last week or something!) in front of all the other parents. We all have to learn some "deflection skills" to deal with those situations.
2016-08-30 8:10 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Proof of life post.

Sorry work has been crazy. Had visitors from out of town at the office and also some of my residues from my sickness decided to go a little haywire over the last few weeks. Heart rate been hitting some real low numbers (mid 30s) along with some balance issues and muscle twitching with tingling. Also interesting enough my Neurologist did a laying, sitting, standing BP test, which was normal, but my heart rate decreased from laying to sitting to standing, which in theory it should do quite the opposite. Been advised to see my cardiologist for the low heart rate and the drop in heart rate when standing up (apparently it doesn't happen all the time though)

The ankle is back to about 80% I would say, good enough to run, though I do feel it the next day.

I have a Tri coming up on labor day. Last year it was 99% humidity at race start, I hope we have better luck this year.
2016-08-30 8:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
We start school next week, but we have had a huge year. We had a big building project, realigned the administration and moved our middle school. We have our student open house tomorrow, but I don't have to work that, only go as a Dad and "meet the teachers." Thursday we have a ribbon cutting ceremony and a community open house. I have to work that. We expect all board members to work it, plus all of the administrators, teachers and counselors are expected/required to attend both.
We have already had orientation for the students, all teachers and administrators had to attend. Board members were invited, but did not have to attend, because it was during the work day. Plus we have had PD for the teachers and administrators this week. that also has required attendance.
The construction project made it really crazy, because we did not get our occupancy permit and pass our water tests until last Friday. If anything as failed, we would have been delayed 2 weeks and school would have been delayed/extended 2 weeks,(no pressure).

Edited by JBacarella 2016-08-30 8:17 PM

2016-08-30 8:22 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by johnthecat

Proof of life post.

Sorry work has been crazy. Had visitors from out of town at the office and also some of my residues from my sickness decided to go a little haywire over the last few weeks. Heart rate been hitting some real low numbers (mid 30s) along with some balance issues and muscle twitching with tingling. Also interesting enough my Neurologist did a laying, sitting, standing BP test, which was normal, but my heart rate decreased from laying to sitting to standing, which in theory it should do quite the opposite. Been advised to see my cardiologist for the low heart rate and the drop in heart rate when standing up (apparently it doesn't happen all the time though)

The ankle is back to about 80% I would say, good enough to run, though I do feel it the next day.

I have a Tri coming up on labor day. Last year it was 99% humidity at race start, I hope we have better luck this year.

Sorry to hear about the heart rate. How do you feel overall? I hope this is only temporary and the cardiologist will have some answers and solution. Keep us posted!
2016-08-30 8:24 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by JBacarella

We start school next week, but we have had a huge year. We had a big building project, realigned the administration and moved our middle school. We have our student open house tomorrow, but I don't have to work that, only go as a Dad and "meet the teachers." Thursday we have a ribbon cutting ceremony and a community open house. I have to work that. We expect all board members to work it, plus all of the administrators, teachers and counselors are expected/required to attend both.
We have already had orientation for the students, all teachers and administrators had to attend. Board members were invited, but did not have to attend, because it was during the work day. Plus we have had PD for the teachers and administrators this week. that also has required attendance.
The construction project made it really crazy, because we did not get our occupancy permit and pass our water tests until last Friday. If anything as failed, we would have been delayed 2 weeks and school would have been delayed/extended 2 weeks,(no pressure).

Wow, that sounds pretty intense... The ribbon cutting ceremony sounds exciting!
2016-08-30 8:37 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

In the past, our back-to school night was basically a meet-the-teachers and curriculum night. As our population changed from middle class to 95% free and reduced lunch we had to change our approach as the parents no longer would attend. We began to do a combo curriculum/BBQ night because if you feed our parents and the kids, they will come. When our principal came to our school 3 years ago, he changed it back to a curriculum only night and no one came. Last year we served ice cream and the parents showed up. This year, no free food but the families could purchase water and popcorn to watch the movie. When we asked the kids if they were coming they laughed and said, "On a Friday?"

In other news, to make a very long story short on how the school year has gone, I was called in the principal's office today. I was told that I had to take my Ironman Boulder poster down because it doesn't meet his requirements on how we are to decorate our classrooms. His required theme for our classroom decorations is "Perseverance". Doing an IM has nothing to do with perseverance. Only college banners/posters are allowed because that is the only thing that will teach our kids, who many wonder where they are sleeping that night or if they will have food at home, perseverance.

So, which college triathlon teams should I write to ask if they have posters I can buy? Hey, he didn't say I couldn't decorate with tri stuff - it just has to be college affiliated.
2016-08-30 9:00 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

In the past, our back-to school night was basically a meet-the-teachers and curriculum night. As our population changed from middle class to 95% free and reduced lunch we had to change our approach as the parents no longer would attend. We began to do a combo curriculum/BBQ night because if you feed our parents and the kids, they will come. When our principal came to our school 3 years ago, he changed it back to a curriculum only night and no one came. Last year we served ice cream and the parents showed up. This year, no free food but the families could purchase water and popcorn to watch the movie. When we asked the kids if they were coming they laughed and said, "On a Friday?"

In other news, to make a very long story short on how the school year has gone, I was called in the principal's office today. I was told that I had to take my Ironman Boulder poster down because it doesn't meet his requirements on how we are to decorate our classrooms. His required theme for our classroom decorations is "Perseverance". Doing an IM has nothing to do with perseverance. Only college banners/posters are allowed because that is the only thing that will teach our kids, who many wonder where they are sleeping that night or if they will have food at home, perseverance.

So, which college triathlon teams should I write to ask if they have posters I can buy? Hey, he didn't say I couldn't decorate with tri stuff - it just has to be college affiliated.

Omg is this for real?? What a jerk.....
2016-08-30 10:17 PM

User image

Expert

WOW! He knows nothing about perseverance does he.
Our district is about 70% reduced lunch and we do ice cream to get parents to come to the open house. The community open house is offering snacks. I think the fact that the building project includes a new gym with a college sized basketball court. and we have a graduate who earned the Congressional Medal oh Honor and that will be on display, Plus it is just before the first home football game of the season, so we expect a big crowd.

2016-08-31 3:18 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not triathlon but Oregon Ducks! Scores of Olympic athletes. What about Pre in his Oregon singlet?
2016-08-31 5:15 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
All these back to school posts are making me a little nostalgic -- my DD is almost 27 so we're long past the school years. I kind of miss the structure to the year, looking forward to summer vacation and then looking forward to school starting up again. Oh well, I digress...

Just a quick "wow and thank you" -- some of the Manatees stopped by my little sprint race report and were kind enough to comment. I had somewhat stopped filing out race reports as BT dwindled, so it's refreshing to see the spirit of BT is still alive and kicking in the Manatee forum!

Hope everyone has a great day!
2016-08-31 6:31 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo In the past, our back-to school night was basically a meet-the-teachers and curriculum night. As our population changed from middle class to 95% free and reduced lunch we had to change our approach as the parents no longer would attend. We began to do a combo curriculum/BBQ night because if you feed our parents and the kids, they will come. When our principal came to our school 3 years ago, he changed it back to a curriculum only night and no one came. Last year we served ice cream and the parents showed up. This year, no free food but the families could purchase water and popcorn to watch the movie. When we asked the kids if they were coming they laughed and said, "On a Friday?" In other news, to make a very long story short on how the school year has gone, I was called in the principal's office today. I was told that I had to take my Ironman Boulder poster down because it doesn't meet his requirements on how we are to decorate our classrooms. His required theme for our classroom decorations is "Perseverance". Doing an IM has nothing to do with perseverance. Only college banners/posters are allowed because that is the only thing that will teach our kids, who many wonder where they are sleeping that night or if they will have food at home, perseverance. So, which college triathlon teams should I write to ask if they have posters I can buy? Hey, he didn't say I couldn't decorate with tri stuff - it just has to be college affiliated.

I asked the NCSU club if they have anything.  I'll let you know what they say :-D

Here's another option:

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Triathlon-Motivational-Quote-Sports-Poster-Print-Posters_i8849294_.htm

Edited by jmkizer 2016-08-31 6:34 AM
2016-08-31 6:42 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Ughhh! Will someone just make a start on the bike for me? I just need a start, then I can take over and get back to it :/
2016-08-31 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ugh....not looking good on the Worlds trip here. We have been having HOURS of torrential rain every afternoon/evening that has closed the airport several times. Made it to the airport and got bike and I checked in without incident, 20 minutes to boarding, and now the torrential stuff has started AGAIN! Doesn't look like it is going to stop anytime soon. I have only a two hour layover in Singapore so don't know what my chances are. Wish me luck! Signing off to save battery in case I need to use the laptop to get a hotel here or in Singapore tonight.

2016-08-31 6:51 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Ugh....not looking good on the Worlds trip here. We have been having HOURS of torrential rain every afternoon/evening that has closed the airport several times. Made it to the airport and got bike and I checked in without incident, 20 minutes to boarding, and now the torrential stuff has started AGAIN! Doesn't look like it is going to stop anytime soon. I have only a two hour layover in Singapore so don't know what my chances are. Wish me luck! Signing off to save battery in case I need to use the laptop to get a hotel here or in Singapore tonight.

Thinking of you Karen!  Sending good weather thoughts your way!

2016-08-31 6:51 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Ughhh! Will someone just make a start on the bike for me? I just need a start, then I can take over and get back to it :/

Maybe just start with a downhill...

2016-08-31 7:38 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner Ugh....not looking good on the Worlds trip here. We have been having HOURS of torrential rain every afternoon/evening that has closed the airport several times. Made it to the airport and got bike and I checked in without incident, 20 minutes to boarding, and now the torrential stuff has started AGAIN! Doesn't look like it is going to stop anytime soon. I have only a two hour layover in Singapore so don't know what my chances are. Wish me luck! Signing off to save battery in case I need to use the laptop to get a hotel here or in Singapore tonight.

I suppose it might not help to know that a local guy made it down to the race ok, but his stuff didn't. At least not yet. One more day for that.

2016-08-31 9:17 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Sorry for the weather issues, sending good vibes!

2016-08-31 9:35 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pennsylvania

Marcus - it's good to hear from you, I hope you are working through your health issues and getting them sorted out.

Karen - yikes!  Wishing you clearer weather and safe travels and good luck!

All the back-to-school posts - wow, it's very interesting to hear the differing perspectives across class lines and cultures and countries.  Frustrating, too, having to deal with parents AND principals not showing up.  As for the nix on the IM Boulder poster, geez!  That is a true test of perseverance, as many have already stated.  I hope you can find a college-related tri poster or suchlike.

Hoping the Florida and parts of the east coast manatees don't get nailed with the pending tropical storms/hurricanes.  It looks (or it did last night) like PA (me) will be spared this round.  Be safe!

2016-08-31 10:05 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Ughhh! Will someone just make a start on the bike for me? I just need a start, then I can take over and get back to it :/

According to Strava you jumped right in with Sufferfesting

2016-08-31 10:10 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by fortissimo In the past, our back-to school night was basically a meet-the-teachers and curriculum night. As our population changed from middle class to 95% free and reduced lunch we had to change our approach as the parents no longer would attend. We began to do a combo curriculum/BBQ night because if you feed our parents and the kids, they will come. When our principal came to our school 3 years ago, he changed it back to a curriculum only night and no one came. Last year we served ice cream and the parents showed up. This year, no free food but the families could purchase water and popcorn to watch the movie. When we asked the kids if they were coming they laughed and said, "On a Friday?" In other news, to make a very long story short on how the school year has gone, I was called in the principal's office today. I was told that I had to take my Ironman Boulder poster down because it doesn't meet his requirements on how we are to decorate our classrooms. His required theme for our classroom decorations is "Perseverance". Doing an IM has nothing to do with perseverance. Only college banners/posters are allowed because that is the only thing that will teach our kids, who many wonder where they are sleeping that night or if they will have food at home, perseverance. So, which college triathlon teams should I write to ask if they have posters I can buy? Hey, he didn't say I couldn't decorate with tri stuff - it just has to be college affiliated.
WOW! He knows nothing about perseverance does he. Our district is about 70% reduced lunch and we do ice cream to get parents to come to the open house. The community open house is offering snacks. I think the fact that the building project includes a new gym with a college sized basketball court. and we have a graduate who earned the Congressional Medal oh Honor and that will be on display, Plus it is just before the first home football game of the season, so we expect a big crowd.

Our district (our state for that matter) has a high percentage of free and reduced lunch.  I'm not involved with it at the school level but our church does a fall event every year for the schools. The last couple years we've done a backpack/supply give for the students. This year we decided to help the teachers so we collected tissue, dry erase markers, hand sanitizer and cleaning wipes and gave those to the teachers.

2016-08-31 11:24 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by rrrunner

According to Strava you jumped right in with Sufferfesting

Hmmm, didn't get all the way through angels though. Think I bit off more than I could chew with over-unders at the moment. Thinking of starting a sweetspot base plan on TR for some structure. Any care to join me?

Edited by Richardsdrr 2016-08-31 11:25 AM
2016-08-31 11:26 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by rrrunner

WOW! He knows nothing about perseverance does he. Our district is about 70% reduced lunch and we do ice cream to get parents to come to the open house. The community open house is offering snacks. I think the fact that the building project includes a new gym with a college sized basketball court. and we have a graduate who earned the Congressional Medal oh Honor and that will be on display, Plus it is just before the first home football game of the season, so we expect a big crowd.

Our district (our state for that matter) has a high percentage of free and reduced lunch.  I'm not involved with it at the school level but our church does a fall event every year for the schools. The last couple years we've done a backpack/supply give for the students. This year we decided to help the teachers so we collected tissue, dry erase markers, hand sanitizer and cleaning wipes and gave those to the teachers.

We don't do these back to school things you talk of. This is all new to me.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.