BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-09-26 9:39 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Yeah, Janyne!!

It's so cool that so many manatees logged in to see her finish live.  I totally forgot about the ability to do that and stalked her the old-fashioned way with IMTrakr updates.  I need to remember to watch the live feed on the IM site!

2016-09-26 9:45 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I was on my bike yesterday afternoon thinking that all my IM Choo friends were as well so we rode in solidarity

2016-09-26 11:25 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Congrats Jayne!! Awesome accomplishment!
2016-09-26 11:28 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by melbo55

Yeah, Janyne!!

It's so cool that so many manatees logged in to see her finish live.  I totally forgot about the ability to do that and stalked her the old-fashioned way with IMTrakr updates.  I need to remember to watch the live feed on the IM site!

Ugh... I didn't even know about that option!!
2016-09-26 12:51 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
A friend had a DNF at her big 70.3 of the season. I'm not sure what to say to her. Suggestions of what would be good to do? I could go the "suck it up and go get 'em next year" route, or the "so sorry, here's the ice cream" route. Votes?
2016-09-26 1:03 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Atlantia A friend had a DNF at her big 70.3 of the season. I'm not sure what to say to her. Suggestions of what would be good to do? I could go the "suck it up and go get 'em next year" route, or the "so sorry, here's the ice cream" route. Votes?
I like both, but ice cream first.

2016-09-26 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia A friend had a DNF at her big 70.3 of the season. I'm not sure what to say to her. Suggestions of what would be good to do? I could go the "suck it up and go get 'em next year" route, or the "so sorry, here's the ice cream" route. Votes?

that's tough. Like Ben said, I'd probably do both. Commiserate with her with ice cream and then discuss how she is going to attack the next one so it doesn't happen again. Redemption is sweet!

2016-09-26 5:39 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Definitely ice cream. (Worlds wasn't exactly a DNF, but I was pretty upset about how it turned out. There was some Ben and Jerry's involved.) Plus maybe some retail therapy. Maybe a nice new tri suit or top for her revenge race? Or help her choose the race?
2016-09-26 7:30 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
I like Ben's idea too. Ice cream first.. How is she doing anyway?
2016-09-26 7:31 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Greetings from statistics class... ;p
2016-09-26 9:10 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Part of this is just enjoying some other stuff for the time being. The other is to get some time in there before making decisions. Not sure I really make good decisions when worked up about something. Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't. Usually more rationale thought happens when I'm not so fired up, which can often be the case when things don't go well. For me though, I'm always going to continue being active with something. So it's more it's more deciding what and where I want to go with it as opposed to others who may not want to do much at all.

2016-09-26 11:56 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Agreed on actually plunking down the $ (or starting to train) for the next race. But shopping and ice cream are ALWAYS rational decisions, at least for women!
2016-09-27 3:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by marysia83

Greetings from statistics class... ;p
Oh man I can lend you a letter opener if you would rather stab your eyes out.
2016-09-27 8:03 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by marysia83 Greetings from statistics class... ;p

I wonder what the probability of that is.

2016-09-27 8:05 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by fortissimo And she's done!!! Just watched her cross the finish line! Congrats, Janyne!!

Congrats! Got to see the pics via fb.

2016-09-27 8:51 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

this

2016-09-27 9:12 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Thanks for the suggestions!
Now for a question about myself. How often should I be redoing my LT run test? I did my last one during the summer, and obviously heat and humidity make my HR higher. Should I do another one now that fall is here?
And about HR in general....how individual is heart rate? I mean, I read people's race reports and they talk about their HR being "skyhigh" at 170. Ummmm, if I briskly walk up the hill from the store to my house, I'm at 165 easy. Running in the 160s feels normal to me, and I can hit 170 without feeling too out of breath. When I did my HR LT test, I got a threshold of 186. I've hit 193 during a 5k. Is my heart going to explode or something? My doctor has never said anything, but I've never come straight out and mentioned my max HR to her.
2016-09-27 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by Atlantia Thanks for the suggestions! Now for a question about myself. How often should I be redoing my LT run test? I did my last one during the summer, and obviously heat and humidity make my HR higher. Should I do another one now that fall is here? And about HR in general....how individual is heart rate? I mean, I read people's race reports and they talk about their HR being "skyhigh" at 170. Ummmm, if I briskly walk up the hill from the store to my house, I'm at 165 easy. Running in the 160s feels normal to me, and I can hit 170 without feeling too out of breath. When I did my HR LT test, I got a threshold of 186. I've hit 193 during a 5k. Is my heart going to explode or something? My doctor has never said anything, but I've never come straight out and mentioned my max HR to her.

170 BPM is getting close to 5k pace for me, though I finish out a 5k at 200 bpm.  I typically run using the Maffetone method at 180-age, roughly 150 bpm.  That's Z3 for me.

I do think your HRs sound a bit high.  Seems strange to me that you're comfortable in the 160s-170s.

2016-09-27 9:54 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Atlantia Thanks for the suggestions! Now for a question about myself. How often should I be redoing my LT run test? I did my last one during the summer, and obviously heat and humidity make my HR higher. Should I do another one now that fall is here? And about HR in general....how individual is heart rate? I mean, I read people's race reports and they talk about their HR being "skyhigh" at 170. Ummmm, if I briskly walk up the hill from the store to my house, I'm at 165 easy. Running in the 160s feels normal to me, and I can hit 170 without feeling too out of breath. When I did my HR LT test, I got a threshold of 186. I've hit 193 during a 5k. Is my heart going to explode or something? My doctor has never said anything, but I've never come straight out and mentioned my max HR to her.

The exact values of HR are rather individual. Some Kona qualifiers have trouble going past 170. Some more regular folks on site have held mid to high 180's for a marathon. Yours is on the higher side, but it doesn't seem like anything is really off with it. My bike numbers are just a bit lower than what you said for run, maybe 180-182 for LT, but have hit 190-194 at times during some very hard intervals.

Since it sounds like using HR is newer to you and it's probably been a few months, testing again isn't a bad idea. You have some more experience with it and it sounds like test conditions may have improved. Heat can really get to people.

2016-09-27 9:58 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by ponderingfox

170 BPM is getting close to 5k pace for me, though I finish out a 5k at 200 bpm.  I typically run using the Maffetone method at 180-age, roughly 150 bpm.  That's Z3 for me.

I do think your HRs sound a bit high.  Seems strange to me that you're comfortable in the 160s-170s.

I am also in the high heart rate zone especially when running. But us females can have overall higher HR's - and you're not all that old yet. I wouldn't worry too much about it - it is very individual. 

There are lots of schools of thought on HR zones where to train in the right sweet spot. You're still gaining fitness and speed so it's really up to you but you should think about what you want to get out of it. I have done most of my running using RPE and pace (but i am someone who can slow down and just enjoy a chatty, easy run without racing everything)  - but when doing things like IM i'll do HR training because that indicator is very helpful in pacing the entire day. 

But if you're curious - go test away! :D You've been working a lot on your fitness and it would be a good benchmark for you to see if things have shifted. 

2016-09-27 10:56 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

The exact values of HR are rather individual. Some Kona qualifiers have trouble going past 170. Some more regular folks on site have held mid to high 180's for a marathon. Yours is on the higher side, but it doesn't seem like anything is really off with it. My bike numbers are just a bit lower than what you said for run, maybe 180-182 for LT, but have hit 190-194 at times during some very hard intervals.

Since it sounds like using HR is newer to you and it's probably been a few months, testing again isn't a bad idea. You have some more experience with it and it sounds like test conditions may have improved. Heat can really get to people.

I was going to say this, but it's already been said :/

2016-09-27 11:12 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

I'm getting ready for a winter of trainer sessions so have been busy downloading a crap load of TV to watch that have passed me by.

So far I have:

6 seasons of Game of Thrones

10 seasons of The Sopranos

5 seasons of Boardwalk Empire

7 seasons of Mad Men

1 season of Mr Robot

1 season of Legends of Tomorrow.

I'm currently watching season 2 of Gotham of Netflix whilst at work when waiting for a load and am about to jump in to Designated Survivor. I've made a promise to myself that I'm not allowed to watch any of them unless I'm on the trainer or treadmill. Do any of you have any other suggestions? What are you in to at the moment? Anything coming up that I should look out for? I think I saw that Netflix was about to release a new Marvel series. I think it was the dude in Jessica Jones, Cage something?

There's a running film on Netflix I saw a while back that some of you may be interested. It's called Town of Runners.

2016-09-27 11:32 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

I'm getting ready for a winter of trainer sessions so have been busy downloading a crap load of TV to watch that have passed me by.

So far I have:

7 seasons of Mad Men

1 season of Mr Robot

I'm currently watching season 2 of Gotham of Netflix whilst at work when waiting for a load and am about to jump in to Designated Survivor. I've made a promise to myself that I'm not allowed to watch any of them unless I'm on the trainer or treadmill. Do any of you have any other suggestions? What are you in to at the moment? Anything coming up that I should look out for? I think I saw that Netflix was about to release a new Marvel series. I think it was the dude in Jessica Jones, Cage something?

There's a running film on Netflix I saw a while back that some of you may be interested. It's called Town of Runners.

Flash, Arrow, and Supergirl are all DC with Legends of Tomorrow. Don't think Supergirl will crossover as much as the others have as they set it in an alternate universe.

Luke Cage is the guy from Jessica Jones, starting up this Friday. Either late this year or early next year will be Iron Fist, then The Defenders with all 4 of them together. I don't know that they're going to crossover with anything else in the Marvel universe just yet, but who knows. They have acknowledged things like "the incident in New York" which was Avengers. Spiderman would be fun too and is in New York, but probably saving him for Homecoming next summer.

I've been watching a lot of mountain biking through Red Bull. Both XC and downhill though have liked the XC more. Both the men's & women's races can be good.

Edited by brigby1 2016-09-27 11:33 AM
2016-09-27 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

So far I have:

7 seasons of Mad Men

1 season of Mr Robot

Flash, Arrow, and Supergirl are all DC with Legends of Tomorrow. Don't think Supergirl will crossover as much as the others have as they set it in an alternate universe.

Luke Cage is the guy from Jessica Jones, starting up this Friday. Either late this year or early next year will be Iron Fist, then The Defenders with all 4 of them together. I don't know that they're going to crossover with anything else in the Marvel universe just yet, but who knows. They have acknowledged things like "the incident in New York" which was Avengers. Spiderman would be fun too and is in New York, but probably saving him for Homecoming next summer.

I've been watching a lot of mountain biking through Red Bull. Both XC and downhill though have liked the XC more. Both the men's & women's races can be good.

Elementary and Dark Matter both get my vote.
2016-09-27 11:57 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by marysia83 Greetings from statistics class... ;p

I wonder what the probability of that is.

haha thanks
This class is for stats in psychology and (thankfully) the professor is realizing that we are not there because of passion for math (even though I love math, but I'm the only one in the class..). He said he would not bore us with weird formulas and calculations, only focus on what we need for our psycho education. So he's cool.
Still - I have no idea of what we are talking about and why.....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.