BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-10-25 11:41 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by StaceyK Got back to work today, after being away for meetings, and found this Last year it was balloons so I'm thinking that I shouldn't go away for meetings around my birthday. Or I need to give K (who is my assistant as well as a great friend) more work to do so she doesn't have time for these kinds of shenanigans

Hilarious! And happy belated birthday!! :D 

2016-10-25 11:51 AM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by rrrunner

Have any Manatees heard of or tried Google Express?  It looks to be Google's answer to Amazon.  I live on Amazon, so this intrigues me.  I don't think it is in every state yet, but is expanding pretty quickly.  I just signed up for a 3 month trial membership, so I am going to give it a try.  If you've used it, what do you like, not like about it?  

TJ, you seem to have typed in invisible ink   

ETA: nevermind, the words have mysteriously appeared!! 

The disappearing happened to me earlier too.

2016-10-25 11:52 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by StaceyK Got back to work today, after being away for meetings, and found this Last year it was balloons so I'm thinking that I shouldn't go away for meetings around my birthday. Or I need to give K (who is my assistant as well as a great friend) more work to do so she doesn't have time for these kinds of shenanigans

x2. That's some serious creativity! As for pop tarts, I'm also not a big fan. Toaster strudel's on the other hand....I could eat those by the box!
2016-10-25 12:29 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by rrrunner

Have any Manatees heard of or tried Google Express?  It looks to be Google's answer to Amazon.  I live on Amazon, so this intrigues me.  I don't think it is in every state yet, but is expanding pretty quickly.  I just signed up for a 3 month trial membership, so I am going to give it a try.  If you've used it, what do you like, not like about it?  

TJ, you seem to have typed in invisible ink   

ETA: nevermind, the words have mysteriously appeared!! 

The disappearing happened to me earlier too.

I think BT is going through one of those occasional phases of the touchy submit button

2016-10-25 12:29 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Originally posted by juniperjen

x2. That's some serious creativity! As for pop tarts, I'm also not a big fan. Toaster strudel's on the other hand....I could eat those by the box!

I completely agree regarding the pop tarts vs. toaster strudel

2016-10-25 12:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas
Did my last Tri for the year. Despite the fact that I just came off a strep throat it went very well and the bike definitely better than I could have hoped for.

Race report up

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by johnthecat 2016-10-26 5:54 AM

2016-10-26 5:26 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Sorry for dropping off the face of the earth the last week--crazy busy in Jakarta with Mutti's birthday and the family biz (it's always that way, but still). Been on Oscar's island doing some intensive work with him the last few days.

Emotionally it's been really tough for me. I know the conditions Oscar lives, works, and trains in but being immersed in it ... he's truly one of the most extraordinary people and athletes on Earth. 

He trains in a pool where I thought I'd get tetanus and sepsis just from looking at it. It's about 86F to boot.

There's a hundred little things he needs that he has never thought of and would never ask. Trainer skewers. Multitool. Tyre levers. The right faching size handlebars. Carbon bike (better yet, tri) shoes that fit. New running shoes. 

Ever see pics of Third World ghettos, ramshackle houses built on stilts on the banks of and in rivers which are stagnant sewers choked with litter? That's where he lives. This is the pic of the base of his house.

On the bright side, these are also his fruit carts, which explains a lot about him

I always chuckle a bit when he pays me with bags of fruit. It's great fruit!

Wow. I am humbled and promise to stop whining about..... anything.

I agree with Robin. I'm a bit ashamed that I complained about a dead bug in our squeaky clean swimming pool. Seeing these pics and reading about the conditions other people live and train in gives me a reason to be grateful.
2016-10-26 5:32 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Expert
Illinois
Manatees --
I know this has been discussed before, probably numerous times, but can we chat about nutrition? What is your go-to for races, training, etc.? For IMFL, I relied on Infinit. Worked great in training, not so good on race day. I've been using Skratch for hydration combined with real food for long bike rides. This works great but it's a little cumbersome preparing and storing the food. And that system definitely won't work for a longer course triathlon.

I ordered some samples of Tailwind to try out. It has no protein, so maybe that will set better than the Infinit. Has anyone tried this?

What about UCAN?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Anne
2016-10-26 7:49 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by abake Manatees -- I know this has been discussed before, probably numerous times, but can we chat about nutrition? What is your go-to for races, training, etc.? For IMFL, I relied on Infinit. Worked great in training, not so good on race day. I've been using Skratch for hydration combined with real food for long bike rides. This works great but it's a little cumbersome preparing and storing the food. And that system definitely won't work for a longer course triathlon. I ordered some samples of Tailwind to try out. It has no protein, so maybe that will set better than the Infinit. Has anyone tried this? What about UCAN? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks! Anne

Since it was fine in training, I'm first wondering what was different between training and the race? The report says issues showed up only 10 miles into the bike, so it may have been something else. Since it was Florida, that would mean a saltwater swim, which can mess people up if they're not used to it. It's different than freshwater, tends to be more upsetting. Then the swells. It is the Gulf instead of the open ocean, but it's still way bigger than any inland body of water. Even relatively minor ups & downs can be unsettling as that's not really seen as much in smaller bodies of water. Although Lake Michigan has been having small craft advisories quite regularly the past months (warnings of 6 ft swells or more).

By all means keep looking to simplify. Just know that the issue from before may not have been from the nutrition itself. I can't take anything if my stomach is upset.

2016-10-26 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by abake Manatees -- I know this has been discussed before, probably numerous times, but can we chat about nutrition? What is your go-to for races, training, etc.? For IMFL, I relied on Infinit. Worked great in training, not so good on race day. I've been using Skratch for hydration combined with real food for long bike rides. This works great but it's a little cumbersome preparing and storing the food. And that system definitely won't work for a longer course triathlon. I ordered some samples of Tailwind to try out. It has no protein, so maybe that will set better than the Infinit. Has anyone tried this? What about UCAN? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks! Anne

I've not raced a 140.6, only gone 70.3, so my nutrition needs were different than yours.  But, at one point I played around with Infinit and as I recall, you can change around the formula as needed.  Can you still do that? If so, maybe drop the protein down a bit on your formula?

Other than that, I'll let Janyne and other long coursers chime in!

2016-10-26 7:58 AM

Master
Northern IL

That said, I've only used water for hydration. Anything else has made me sick. Even diluting something to ~1/8 concentration and taking a walk around the block gave me issues. Nutrition was PowerBars & Gels earlier on. Then trained more with things like Oatmeal Cream Pies, cheaper & easier to find though the others still worked fine. Still used gels in racing. Then more Cliff Bars, though less racing.

2016-10-26 7:59 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I've not raced a 140.6, only gone 70.3, so my nutrition needs were different than yours.  But, at one point I played around with Infinit and as I recall, you can change around the formula as needed.  Can you still do that? If so, maybe drop the protein down a bit on your formula?

Yep, as a short course guy, my go to of Hammer may be different than what you are after. When I did 100 MoN last year (or any longer effort I've done for that matter), I use water and Hammer Gels. I'm a simple man and haven't worked through a bunch of other requirements though.

If Hammer Nutrition is a thought, DM me, I may be able to dig up a code for you. Not to be an #ad, but the Nocciola is yumtastic!

2016-10-26 8:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Well, there's my somewhat unorthodox approach. Not sure I would solely rely on it for full IM, though. For HIM on the bike, I have a big bar of dark chocolate with mint that I eat in small increments. In some cases, I have stopped the chocolate with 30 minutes to go and done a gu for my last "feed". In other cases, I have eaten the chocolate up until the end of the bike. In one case (Toughman last year), as I was extricating an uneaten gu from my bento box in T2 (decided I wanted that flavor on the run), I found a square of uneaten chocolate and shoved it in my mouth as I was running out of T2. I have done the chocolate, plus or minus one gu,as my bike nutrition for my last five HIM now, with no GI issues or bonking. That included a 5:16 and a Worlds qualification. I tend to start gagging on gu after #2 or 3, and occasionally, even after #1. I have actually puked on gu on the bike. It's the texture--think I have an overactive gag reflex or something! There are really only two flavors/brands of gu I can reliably get down. I have also had major stomach issues with liquid nutrition, particularly in hot weather, and have pretty much concluded I'm not the target market for sports nutrition products!

Eating solid stuff on the run is pretty inconvenient (don't know about others, but I find running and chewing at the same time really hard), so I have to save my "gu allotment" mostly for the run. I use Nuun for hydration. I'm sure there's some product out there that I could find that I could tolerate, or I could work with Infinit until I figured out exactly what it was about liquid nutrition that makes me puke, but it isn't available here, and I would have to haul all my training and race nutrition from the US and store it for months at a time. Excellent dark chocolate is available at the corner store and in most places I might race, in the event that I somehow forgot or lost my stash.

In training, I sometimes use other solid foods on the bike, mostly energy bars, but the flavors I like aren't available here (right now, the only "bar" that has been available since late August has been Nature Valley Apple Cinnamon!) so that would mostly be in the US, My go-tos are the Cliff Mojo sweet and salty flavors (mostly peanut butter pretzel and chocolate coconut almond), Cliff Cool Mint Chocolate (has caffeine!), and sometimes Pro Bar. I have used the Mojo bars without issue in a HIM, but they aren't available locally and don't keep that well, so I haven't used them much when living here.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-10-26 8:10 AM
2016-10-26 8:40 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Shoe update - I test rode some shoes on the treddy at the LRS, loved the Lone Peak, and it came home with me. Took it out for a quick neighborhood cruise yesterday and wound up 10 minutes in feeling like my feet were numb, arches hurting, my feet just felt super hot. Boo! Too narrow, going back to the store.
I hate having picky feet.
2016-10-26 9:25 AM

User image

Originally posted by abake

Manatees --
I know this has been discussed before, probably numerous times, but can we chat about nutrition? What is your go-to for races, training, etc.? For IMFL, I relied on Infinit. Worked great in training, not so good on race day. I've been using Skratch for hydration combined with real food for long bike rides. This works great but it's a little cumbersome preparing and storing the food. And that system definitely won't work for a longer course triathlon.

I ordered some samples of Tailwind to try out. It has no protein, so maybe that will set better than the Infinit. Has anyone tried this?

What about UCAN?

Anne

I used UCAN for my 2014 season. While it worked well on my first 70.3, my second was a different story. I never want to taste UCAN again.

I prefer Skratch to Gatorade. that said, when I did IM Boulder I trained with the orange Gatorade on the bike and the Lemon-Lime on my long runs. I did try BASE amino on the run and loved the taste and it made me feel great, until my throat became very scratchy and i started wheezing. Turns out it had strawberry flavoring and Stevia, which I'm allergic to.

For my IM I relied on Bonk Breakers for the first half of the bike but still didn't take in enough calories. At special needs I had a peanut butter and honey sandwich waiting for me and that literally probably saved my race! For the last third of the bike, i had to switch from Bonk Breakers to gels because my i was suddenly having troubles swallowing. Because my coach had me train with what I was used to, and then threw in a long bike that said "change your nutrition" I had no problems switching mid-race.

For the run I used gels but did try a few other things on the course.

This year I did a mix of dark chocolate and Lara Bites by Lara Bar on the bike and had much more energy going into the run. I also never had GI issues. On the run I still stick to GU but on my last race I tried a Honey Stinger waffle when I ran out of GU.

2016-10-26 9:58 AM

User image

Manatees --

What about UCAN?

Anne

I've also only done 70.3's but since discovering Hammer products I haven't deviated much. I use Hammer Perpetuem, which has some protein in it, for long rides and have been using Heed on shorter rides and their gels on runs. If I feel like something solid I tend to have a honey stinger waffle (yet to find a flavor I don't like) in my bento box/nearby but personally I have a hard time stomaching what I consider real solid food like Bonk Breakers/other bars especially during races.

2016-10-26 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I use EFS-LS + Clif Shot Bloks on the bike.  Not too exciting but it's been working.  For a full IM, I use three of each.

2016-10-26 10:02 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo
I used UCAN for my 2014 season. While it worked well on my first 70.3, my second was a different story. I never want to taste UCAN again. I prefer Skratch to Gatorade. that said, when I did IM Boulder I trained with the orange Gatorade on the bike and the Lemon-Lime on my long runs. I did try BASE amino on the run and loved the taste and it made me feel great, until my throat became very scratchy and i started wheezing. Turns out it had strawberry flavoring and Stevia, which I'm allergic to. For my IM I relied on Bonk Breakers for the first half of the bike but still didn't take in enough calories. At special needs I had a peanut butter and honey sandwich waiting for me and that literally probably saved my race! For the last third of the bike, i had to switch from Bonk Breakers to gels because my i was suddenly having troubles swallowing. Because my coach had me train with what I was used to, and then threw in a long bike that said "change your nutrition" I had no problems switching mid-race. For the run I used gels but did try a few other things on the course. This year I did a mix of dark chocolate and Lara Bites by Lara Bar on the bike and had much more energy going into the run. I also never had GI issues. On the run I still stick to GU but on my last race I tried a Honey Stinger waffle when I ran out of GU.

What Robin said.  Practice with whatever they are using on course as well as what you are planning to use.  That way if you were to, say, drop a water bottle, you are not SOL.

2016-10-26 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by brigby1

Since it was fine in training, I'm first wondering what was different between training and the race? The report says issues showed up only 10 miles into the bike, so it may have been something else. Since it was Florida, that would mean a saltwater swim, which can mess people up if they're not used to it. It's different than freshwater, tends to be more upsetting. Then the swells. It is the Gulf instead of the open ocean, but it's still way bigger than any inland body of water. Even relatively minor ups & downs can be unsettling as that's not really seen as much in smaller bodies of water. Although Lake Michigan has been having small craft advisories quite regularly the past months (warnings of 6 ft swells or more).

By all means keep looking to simplify. Just know that the issue from before may not have been from the nutrition itself. I can't take anything if my stomach is upset.

Thanks for your input. I have wondered about that too -- I don't know if I swallowed salt water (entirely possible). It felt like my stomach just shut down.
2016-10-26 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Yes, Infinit is good about changing the formula. Thanks!
2016-10-26 12:43 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by cdban66

Yep, as a short course guy, my go to of Hammer may be different than what you are after. When I did 100 MoN last year (or any longer effort I've done for that matter), I use water and Hammer Gels. I'm a simple man and haven't worked through a bunch of other requirements though.

If Hammer Nutrition is a thought, DM me, I may be able to dig up a code for you. Not to be an #ad, but the Nocciola is yumtastic!

Simple is good, lol!

2016-10-26 12:47 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Well, there's my somewhat unorthodox approach. Not sure I would solely rely on it for full IM, though. For HIM on the bike, I have a big bar of dark chocolate with mint that I eat in small increments. In some cases, I have stopped the chocolate with 30 minutes to go and done a gu for my last "feed". In other cases, I have eaten the chocolate up until the end of the bike. In one case (Toughman last year), as I was extricating an uneaten gu from my bento box in T2 (decided I wanted that flavor on the run), I found a square of uneaten chocolate and shoved it in my mouth as I was running out of T2. I have done the chocolate, plus or minus one gu,as my bike nutrition for my last five HIM now, with no GI issues or bonking. That included a 5:16 and a Worlds qualification. I tend to start gagging on gu after #2 or 3, and occasionally, even after #1. I have actually puked on gu on the bike. It's the texture--think I have an overactive gag reflex or something! There are really only two flavors/brands of gu I can reliably get down. I have also had major stomach issues with liquid nutrition, particularly in hot weather, and have pretty much concluded I'm not the target market for sports nutrition products!

Eating solid stuff on the run is pretty inconvenient (don't know about others, but I find running and chewing at the same time really hard), so I have to save my "gu allotment" mostly for the run. I use Nuun for hydration. I'm sure there's some product out there that I could find that I could tolerate, or I could work with Infinit until I figured out exactly what it was about liquid nutrition that makes me puke, but it isn't available here, and I would have to haul all my training and race nutrition from the US and store it for months at a time. Excellent dark chocolate is available at the corner store and in most places I might race, in the event that I somehow forgot or lost my stash.

In training, I sometimes use other solid foods on the bike, mostly energy bars, but the flavors I like aren't available here (right now, the only "bar" that has been available since late August has been Nature Valley Apple Cinnamon!) so that would mostly be in the US, My go-tos are the Cliff Mojo sweet and salty flavors (mostly peanut butter pretzel and chocolate coconut almond), Cliff Cool Mint Chocolate (has caffeine!), and sometimes Pro Bar. I have used the Mojo bars without issue in a HIM, but they aren't available locally and don't keep that well, so I haven't used them much when living here.

Unorthodox but if it works, that's really all that matters. That's very interesting.
2016-10-26 12:48 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Manatees --

What about UCAN?

Anne

I've also only done 70.3's but since discovering Hammer products I haven't deviated much. I use Hammer Perpetuem, which has some protein in it, for long rides and have been using Heed on shorter rides and their gels on runs. If I feel like something solid I tend to have a honey stinger waffle (yet to find a flavor I don't like) in my bento box/nearby but personally I have a hard time stomaching what I consider real solid food like Bonk Breakers/other bars especially during races.

Heed also works well for me on the shorter rides. I bought a couple of the honey stinger waffles but haven't tried them yet.
2016-10-26 12:52 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by fortissimo

Manatees --

What about UCAN?

Anne

I used UCAN for my 2014 season. While it worked well on my first 70.3, my second was a different story. I never want to taste UCAN again.

I prefer Skratch to Gatorade. that said, when I did IM Boulder I trained with the orange Gatorade on the bike and the Lemon-Lime on my long runs. I did try BASE amino on the run and loved the taste and it made me feel great, until my throat became very scratchy and i started wheezing. Turns out it had strawberry flavoring and Stevia, which I'm allergic to.

For my IM I relied on Bonk Breakers for the first half of the bike but still didn't take in enough calories. At special needs I had a peanut butter and honey sandwich waiting for me and that literally probably saved my race! For the last third of the bike, i had to switch from Bonk Breakers to gels because my i was suddenly having troubles swallowing. Because my coach had me train with what I was used to, and then threw in a long bike that said "change your nutrition" I had no problems switching mid-race.

For the run I used gels but did try a few other things on the course.

This year I did a mix of dark chocolate and Lara Bites by Lara Bar on the bike and had much more energy going into the run. I also never had GI issues. On the run I still stick to GU but on my last race I tried a Honey Stinger waffle when I ran out of GU.

Another vote for dark chocolate! I have to wonder if the Lara Bites work well because they don't really have any artificial ingredients, i.e. sweeteners. etc. Your experience with UCAN and never wanting to taste it again mirrors my experience with the Infinit.
2016-10-26 12:55 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by jmkizer

I use EFS-LS + Clif Shot Bloks on the bike.  Not too exciting but it's been working.  For a full IM, I use three of each.

Cliff Shot bloks seem like a viable option. I'm definitely intrigued by the IFS-LS, have not seen that product before.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.