BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-10-27 9:33 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Atlantia

OK, I’m kind of thinking out loud here but I need to work through some thoughts about my 2017 schedule.  My plan was to do a marathon, a few duathlons and then IMNC in the fall.  Well, IMNC may or may not happen?  I dunno. If IMNC is not a Go, then I was thinking either Rev3 Cedar Point or IMFL. 

My concern with Cedar Point is that it’s awfully small.  My concern with IMFL is that it would make for a long season with little break before running season.  My concern with both is the swim since my IM swims have been in Banks Channel, the Russian River and the Tennessee River (notice a theme?).  Both PCB and Cleveland are 10 hour drives from Raleigh.  This is all pending Kevin’s vacation schedule since one reason for IMNC was that it’s only two hours from Raleigh so less vacation time is needed. 

To make matters more interesting, I have an early entry to Florida.  Before getting that, I was thinking, “Why not make it a USAT year?”  I planning USAT long course du nationals (which happens to be local to e), USAT standard du nationals, why not do USAT ultra nationals in Cedar Point? 

I think you've mentioned that you really like tri training through the summer, right? I agree with your point about IMFL being a really long season. Won't peak training actually be in the fall, rather than the summer? The daylight hours are already starting to feel a bit squeezed these last few weeks. When you have a concern with Cedar Point being small, what is the concern? Do you get lonely on the course, feel there isn't enough support from the volunteers/community, etc?

For Florida, peak training would start in mid-August or so and go through mid-October.  I imagine that would mean a few weeknight trainer rides to get the time in.  Yes, even with B2B, I would feel a bit of stress squeezing in weeknight workouts before sunset and that's a few weeks earlier.  My main concern, though, was allowing time for a post season recovery before moving into run focus. 

Regarding Cedar Point, I've done small HIMs (Gator Half) and that was fine so I'm not sure what the concern is.  Maybe just that it won't feel much like a celebration?  Not that I hang around the finish line and par-tay.  Maybe it's more if an issue in my head than in reality, huh?  Thanks for helping me think this through.

Really, WTC just needs to schedule IMNC for October 21 ;-)

Janyne, my only input is that I enjoyed everything about Rev3 Venice when I volunteered a few years ago. I worked some prework with the bike vol coordinator and she did a lot of work to make sure things were good. Point being that they seemed to care about the participants, if that sort of thing matters to you. Hands may have better input, since she raced it, but I think they strike a good balance between size and function. And I think that Cedar Point is kind of their flagship event, along with Quassy, which should mean a larger participant base.

IMFL is in Pensacola, right? I've heard a few years of sketchy water conditions during the swimming portion. Heck, Rev3 had to cancel the swim one year by us in November, due to safety concerns. While it should be out of hurricane season, it seems like the weather this time of year can be finicky in the Gulf of Mexico.

i really liked REV3 Venice. I did it the first 2 years, couldn't do it the 3D year and then it was gone. It was a small race and parts of the bike it seemed I was alone, but that never was for long because of how the course was set up.  The run was 2 loops, so there was always other runners nearby.  The finish is not what I've seen for IM races, but it was not quiet either.  REV3 kept it upbeat and there were clapping spectators.

The organization is top notch and very racer friendly. The second year my 2 brothers were racing with me, but could not make it in for mandatory packet pick up   and bike racking. They had no trouble arranging a morning pick up. 

Re an ocean/gulf swim v river swim. Almost all my races have been in the Ocean or gulf. I've only had 2 races where there were issues- one in Miami where the waves were such that lots of people turned back before the first buoy and the 2d REV3 where the swim was cancelled.  The cancellation was a result of hurricane Sandy. Though the storm was not right in the area, the water was still affected. I understand the coast guard would not let anyone swim.  In Miami, I think the people who turned around were those who had not seen waves before. So, if you do FL I suggest some ocean swims to get comfortable with waves and salt water in your mouth.

I agree, IMNC needs to make its announcement so people can plan their year!

2016-10-27 9:44 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo

Originally posted by JBacarella As for nutrition: After years of Tang (astronauts drink it) this Summer I switched to cyclomax. It's decent and does the job. I also like Honey Stinger waffles on the bike and I have eaten the strawberry with Nutella in the past, it's a nice treat. I will also sometimes eat an Uncrustable on a long ride. There are times it sits in my stomach like lead, so I didn't do it for my IM, I just stuck with Honey stinger waffles, and gels on the bike. I tried a Cliff Bar at the last aid station. It was like eating clay, I couldn't swallow it and spit it out.

I know a lot of people use Uncrustables.  That makes sense to me.  In supported rides, I always go for the PB&J.

The issue for me is not how things go down for me on the bike but when I start to run after 112 (116?) miles of bike nutrition.  When I switched to mostly liquids on the bike, I felt a lot better on the run.

See, for me it was opposite - when I was doing liquids on the bike, I had problems on the run. When I switched to food on the bike the problems went away. We just all need to try different things to see what works for the individual.

So true!

2016-10-27 9:46 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

OK, I’m kind of thinking out loud here but I need to work through some thoughts about my 2017 schedule.  My plan was to do a marathon, a few duathlons and then IMNC in the fall.  Well, IMNC may or may not happen?  I dunno. If IMNC is not a Go, then I was thinking either Rev3 Cedar Point or IMFL. 

My concern with Cedar Point is that it’s awfully small.  My concern with IMFL is that it would make for a long season with little break before running season.  My concern with both is the swim since my IM swims have been in Banks Channel, the Russian River and the Tennessee River (notice a theme?).  Both PCB and Cleveland are 10 hour drives from Raleigh.  This is all pending Kevin’s vacation schedule since one reason for IMNC was that it’s only two hours from Raleigh so less vacation time is needed. 

To make matters more interesting, I have an early entry to Florida.  Before getting that, I was thinking, “Why not make it a USAT year?”  I planning USAT long course du nationals (which happens to be local to e), USAT standard du nationals, why not do USAT ultra nationals in Cedar Point? 

I think you've mentioned that you really like tri training through the summer, right? I agree with your point about IMFL being a really long season. Won't peak training actually be in the fall, rather than the summer? The daylight hours are already starting to feel a bit squeezed these last few weeks. When you have a concern with Cedar Point being small, what is the concern? Do you get lonely on the course, feel there isn't enough support from the volunteers/community, etc?

For Florida, peak training would start in mid-August or so and go through mid-October.  I imagine that would mean a few weeknight trainer rides to get the time in.  Yes, even with B2B, I would feel a bit of stress squeezing in weeknight workouts before sunset and that's a few weeks earlier.  My main concern, though, was allowing time for a post season recovery before moving into run focus. 

Regarding Cedar Point, I've done small HIMs (Gator Half) and that was fine so I'm not sure what the concern is.  Maybe just that it won't feel much like a celebration?  Not that I hang around the finish line and par-tay.  Maybe it's more if an issue in my head than in reality, huh?  Thanks for helping me think this through.

Janyne, my only input is that I enjoyed everything about Rev3 Venice when I volunteered a few years ago. I worked some prework with the bike vol coordinator and she did a lot of work to make sure things were good. Point being that they seemed to care about the participants, if that sort of thing matters to you. Hands may have better input, since she raced it, but I think they strike a good balance between size and function. And I think that Cedar Point is kind of their flagship event, along with Quassy, which should mean a larger participant base.

IMFL is in Pensacola, right? I've heard a few years of sketchy water conditions during the swimming portion. Heck, Rev3 had to cancel the swim one year by us in November, due to safety concerns. While it should be out of hurricane season, it seems like the weather this time of year can be finicky in the Gulf of Mexico.

i really liked REV3 Venice. I did it the first 2 years, couldn't do it the 3D year and then it was gone. It was a small race and parts of the bike it seemed I was alone, but that never was for long because of how the course was set up.  The run was 2 loops, so there was always other runners nearby.  The finish is not what I've seen for IM races, but it was not quiet either.  REV3 kept it upbeat and there were clapping spectators.

The organization is top notch and very racer friendly. The second year my 2 brothers were racing with me, but could not make it in for mandatory packet pick up   and bike racking. They had no trouble arranging a morning pick up. 

Re an ocean/gulf swim v river swim. Almost all my races have been in the Ocean or gulf. I've only had 2 races where there were issues- one in Miami where the waves were such that lots of people turned back before the first buoy and the 2d REV3 where the swim was cancelled.  The cancellation was a result of hurricane Sandy. Though the storm was not right in the area, the water was still affected. I understand the coast guard would not let anyone swim.  In Miami, I think the people who turned around were those who had not seen waves before. So, if you do FL I suggest some ocean swims to get comfortable with waves and salt water in your mouth.

Thanks for the input!  I've heard nothing but good things about Rev3 Cedar Point and the Rev3 organization in general.

2016-10-27 9:54 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

WTC races I've been to have various and mixed thoughts on, but every Rev3 race was great even when my race didn't go well. Have been in more of their races too.

Edited by brigby1 2016-10-27 9:54 AM
2016-10-27 10:53 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Thanks for the input!  I've heard nothing but good things about Rev3 Cedar Point and the Rev3 organization in general.

and if you do cedar point, you get to ride the coasters after! Top thrill dragster....wait in line 90 minutes for the most awesome 30 seconds of your life!!

I have a trainer question. I've been thinking about it for a bit and I decided that after xmas I was going to get a kickr. Well I recently looked at a Kickr snap. That intrigues me especially since it'd be easier for DH and I to share. I can't find anything bad about the snap - and probably won't have an opportunity to try it.

Should I Save some $$ and just get the snap?
2016-10-27 10:57 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

and if you do cedar point, you get to ride the coasters after! Top thrill dragster....wait in line 90 minutes for the most awesome 30 seconds of your life!! 

I am not a coaster person, however, Kevin has deemed this event "Sherpa Friendly" because of the coasters.

I have a trainer question. I've been thinking about it for a bit and I decided that after xmas I was going to get a kickr. Well I recently looked at a Kickr snap. That intrigues me especially since it'd be easier for DH and I to share. I can't find anything bad about the snap - and probably won't have an opportunity to try it. Should I Save some $$ and just get the snap?

Kevin has a Snap and he likes it a lot.  He upgraded from a Cyclops Fluid 2.  It's much much quieter than the old one.  What questions do you have?

2016-10-27 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Janyne, did we ever get to see the completed trainer setup for Kevin?

2016-10-27 11:04 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I am not a coaster person, however, Kevin has deemed this event "Sherpa Friendly" because of the coasters.

I have a trainer question. I've been thinking about it for a bit and I decided that after xmas I was going to get a kickr. Well I recently looked at a Kickr snap. That intrigues me especially since it'd be easier for DH and I to share. I can't find anything bad about the snap - and probably won't have an opportunity to try it. Should I Save some $$ and just get the snap?

Kevin has a Snap and he likes it a lot.  He upgraded from a Cyclops Fluid 2.  It's much much quieter than the old one.  What questions do you have?

The more I hear about Kevin the more I think we'd be pals

I guess my only question is - why go full on kickr? Looks like snap will do what I want (which is to work with trainer road).

I see the comparison on their website that says power accuracy is +/-5% where as the kickr is +/-2% - I don't think that's a deal breaker - As long as it's consistent. The only other difference (aside from the obvious) is it says you can't control it with a power meter. But if I have TR I'm good to go.
2016-10-27 12:01 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Janyne, did we ever get to see the completed trainer setup for Kevin?

You mean with his iPod stand?  Probably not.  I'll get him to take a picture of it when he has a chance.  That may be next Monday though.

2016-10-27 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

On the nutrition front, I haven't been sbr focused but I have been spending hours on my feet.  I usually use Honey Stinger gels and chews. I like the gels because they taste like flavored honey and don't get as viscous as some of the others when it's chilly. I like the chews for the same reason, they are soft and don't take much energy to chew. 

As for needing the calories or not, I've heard from nutritionists, and believe anecdotally, that when we start to feel "down" and get in to negative self talk that it is a sign of low blood sugar. That we need to keep ahead of the calorie intake so that doesn't happen because once we get to that point the calories we consume are only used for fueling activity and can't fix the low blood sugar. This being especially true when going for several hours.

On the tech front... I was given a Microsoft Band 2. It's the Microsoft version of the fitbit. I looked at DC's reviews which gave me a great idea of it's capabilities.  I like the built in HRM, the ability to see texts on my watch, and the sleep monitoring. It will talk to Strava but as far as I can tell it won't talk to BT. Obviously I can just log things manually (like I did pre-garmin) but it'd be nice to have all the data in BT still. 

2016-10-27 12:20 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by jmkizer I am not a coaster person, however, Kevin has deemed this event "Sherpa Friendly" because of the coasters.

The more I hear about Kevin the more I think we'd be pals I guess my only question is - why go full on kickr? Looks like snap will do what I want (which is to work with trainer road). I see the comparison on their website that says power accuracy is +/-5% where as the kickr is +/-2% - I don't think that's a deal breaker - As long as it's consistent. The only other difference (aside from the obvious) is it says you can't control it with a power meter. But if I have TR I'm good to go.

Kevin does not have a power meter.  He has a road bike that is on the trainer 95% of the time (outside maybe once a month) and two mountain bikes that he rides outside.  He has had no problems with the Snap after initial setup -- he had to get a few parts (speed/cadence sensor and ANT+ dongle for his iPad?).  He uses Zwift sometimes but mostly Netflix.

2016-10-27 12:25 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

On the nutrition front, I haven't been sbr focused but I have been spending hours on my feet.  I usually use Honey Stinger gels and chews. I like the gels because they taste like flavored honey and don't get as viscous as some of the others when it's chilly. I like the chews for the same reason, they are soft and don't take much energy to chew. 

As for needing the calories or not, I've heard from nutritionists, and believe anecdotally, that when we start to feel "down" and get in to negative self talk that it is a sign of low blood sugar. That we need to keep ahead of the calorie intake so that doesn't happen because once we get to that point the calories we consume are only used for fueling activity and can't fix the low blood sugar. This being especially true when going for several hours.

On the tech front... I was given a Microsoft Band 2. It's the Microsoft version of the fitbit. I looked at DC's reviews which gave me a great idea of it's capabilities.  I like the built in HRM, the ability to see texts on my watch, and the sleep monitoring. It will talk to Strava but as far as I can tell it won't talk to BT. Obviously I can just log things manually (like I did pre-garmin) but it'd be nice to have all the data in BT still. 

Can Tapiriik get it from Strava to BT?

https://tapiriik.com/

I think that there is a SEND ACTIVITIES TO setting from Strava and from there you can send to BT.

2016-10-27 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by rrrunner

Can Tapiriik get it from Strava to BT?

https://tapiriik.com/

I think that there is a SEND ACTIVITIES TO setting from Strava and from there you can send to BT.

Perfect thanks! Someone must have mentioned that to me previously as I already had an account there. I just had to add BT. We'll see how that works tomorrow.

2016-10-27 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
Rev 3 Cedar Point is the primary competition for the one we have in our town. Regionally, both races pull from Detroit, Toledo, Grand Rapids and we get a big group out of Cincinnati. They have a bigger pull East than us and draw more from PA and the East, plus they offer both Iron and Half distance.

The issue you can fall into at Cedar Point is the same one we have here, weather. We are at the start of the change into fall the weekend after Labor Day, and that does funny things on the big lakes. It is not unusual to have beautiful weather and heavy surf for a week straight. Last year they had two of their boats capsize and went on with the swim. Several people dropped because of the surf conditions. We had perfect water last year, this year gorgeous day but heavy surf. Also, extreme changes in water temp like a 15 degree drop over night.

If you choose REv3 Cedar Point, plan for the possibly of either having to swim in surf or having the swim cancelled.

It is the best amusement park in the world. I love camping there.

Edited by JBacarella 2016-10-27 1:56 PM
2016-10-27 2:00 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella Rev 3 Cedar Point is the primary competition for the one we have in our town. Regionally, both races pull from Detroit, Toledo, Grand Rapids and we get a big group out of Cincinnati. They have a bigger pull East than us and draw more from PA and the East, plus they offer both Iron and Half distance. The issue you can fall into at Cedar Point is the same one we have here, weather. We are at the start of the change into fall the weekend after Labor Day, and that does funny things on the big lakes. It is not unusual to have beautiful weather and heavy surf for a week straight. Last year they had two of their boats capsize and went on with the swim. Several people dropped because of the surf conditions. We had perfect water last year, this year gorgeous day but heavy surf. Also, extreme changes in water temp like a 15 degree drop over night. If you choose REv3 Cedar Point, plan for the possibly of either having to swim in surf or having the swim cancelled. It is the best amusement park in the world. I love camping there.

Cedar Point has an alternate swim location that they use in heavy surf.

2016-10-27 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Originally posted by JBacarella Rev 3 Cedar Point is the primary competition for the one we have in our town. Regionally, both races pull from Detroit, Toledo, Grand Rapids and we get a big group out of Cincinnati. They have a bigger pull East than us and draw more from PA and the East, plus they offer both Iron and Half distance. The issue you can fall into at Cedar Point is the same one we have here, weather. We are at the start of the change into fall the weekend after Labor Day, and that does funny things on the big lakes. It is not unusual to have beautiful weather and heavy surf for a week straight. Last year they had two of their boats capsize and went on with the swim. Several people dropped because of the surf conditions. We had perfect water last year, this year gorgeous day but heavy surf. Also, extreme changes in water temp like a 15 degree drop over night. If you choose REv3 Cedar Point, plan for the possibly of either having to swim in surf or having the swim cancelled. It is the best amusement park in the world. I love camping there.

Did I miss where you crossed IMWI off the list? That one's early September, so not sure if that was too early. It has a lake swim, if I remember correctly.

2016-10-27 2:40 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Did I miss where you crossed IMWI off the list? That one's early September, so not sure if that was too early. It has a lake swim, if I remember correctly.

I am looking for an event closer to home which is why IMNC was/is at the top of my list.  I actually thought 8 hours to Chattanooga was too far so IMFL and Cedar Point at 10 hours each are a stretch.  Madison is 15 hours. 

2016-10-27 2:49 PM

User image

Around last year I had the same debate, Snap vs full Kickr. I wound up going with the Kickr solely for the reason that I read somewhere you can get more tension out of it relative to the Snap. I pretty well only ride on Zwift and going up a 15% grade really kicks my butt. I'm not sure the Snap can give you the same power/resistance. This is my first and only trainer so I have nothing to compare it to but I give it a 10/10.
2016-10-27 3:02 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

I am looking for an event closer to home which is why IMNC was/is at the top of my list.  I actually thought 8 hours to Chattanooga was too far so IMFL and Cedar Point at 10 hours each are a stretch.  Madison is 15 hours. 

Right, that makes sense! I hope they make a decision about IMNC soon.
2016-10-27 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

But if you come do the Cedar Point event, you could do the Cedar Point amusement park! As an Ohioan, I proudly say that's one of the best roller coaster parks in the country.  It's worth a trip in and of itself.  So there's that.

2016-10-27 9:30 PM

User image

Have you looked at any of the Challenge Family races? Friends who have done those say they are even better than the Rev 3 races.

Wait, never mind - they don't have any in the US next year.

I hope Challenge Family keeps the same schedule for 2018 because I really want to do Penticton! I wanted to do Vineman as my 2018 race, but since they moved that to Santa Rosa I'm not as interested.

Why is picking races so hard for us right now?????

2016-10-28 7:13 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo Have you looked at any of the Challenge Family races? Friends who have done those say they are even better than the Rev 3 races. Wait, never mind - they don't have any in the US next year. I hope Challenge Family keeps the same schedule for 2018 because I really want to do Penticton! I wanted to do Vineman as my 2018 race, but since they moved that to Santa Rosa I'm not as interested. Why is picking races so hard for us right now?????

Re: Vineman/Santa Rosa -- I think that the bike course will be relatively the same and the run course in Windsor was nothing to write home about.  The swim start in Guerneville was nice and I really enjoyed the town. THAT I will miss. It seems that they have removed some of the character of the race and made it more  generic. 

2016-10-28 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Having the same issues. I have used up all my personal leave for the school year and I don't think I can get any more requests, even for unpaid leave, approved. The only race here is in early May (Vietnam 70.3) and not enthused about it. Would love to get back to Worlds but as it's on the east side of the US next year, I think even if I qualified, it's just too far to be able to do the race justice with the leave I'd be able to get.

I've so far signed up for nothing but Cour d'Alene 70.3. Still thinking about trying the "back door" route to KQ at one of the IM 70.3 events in China, but I'm not sure what the chances are of actually being able to pull that off. It's not so much the race itself (that too--no guarantee I'd get a slot!) but logistics and politics--I'd have to get the visa when I'm in the US this summer and the time window in which I could do that is very small (it's only valid for entry within 3 months after issue); not having the passport could affect family vacation plans or my return to Vietnam. Then there's weather at that time of year (very wet and unstable here and most places I might fly through en route), the fact that China doesn't always honor a valid visa (it actually says that on their website; had this happen with an internal travel permit before--not allowed to enter a destination in Tibet that I had applied for, been approved for, paid for, and traveled several hours out of my way to--no explanation given, no money back), the problematic relations between Vietnam and China, etc. etc. That is a very, very corrupt country. (I lived there for a decade and speak the language fluently. I know.) I could see them making it difficult for foreign athletes in various ways to give locals an advantage to place and KQ. Speaking from experience, unfortunately, with some events I did in China when I lived there. Not sure how much it matters that a multinational like IM Corp. is involved, when IM is in fact owned by a Chinese holding company (Wanda).May have to venture onto ST to see if anyone there has actually tried this route (it started this fall) and what their experiences were.

I guess it would be an adventure, and if they are going to do anything truly crooked like label the course only in Chinese, I will have a secret advantage! Vietnam has a Challenge Series race (70.3) as of this year, around the same time, that I might use as a backup race if all goes south. This year there were only a little over 100 people--the "other female triathlete" (there may be a few more, but she's the only one I know!) in town qualified for Challenge Roth there by winning her AG. (Thank goodness, she's not in my AG--Sophie just turned 25 and we're about the same speed--she's a much better biker, I'm a slightly faster runner and much faster swimmer. Sadly, she works for the LBS and isn't a very early riser, so not much of potential training buddy.) But then it is back to heatstroke central. Plus...oh yeah....fall is our typhoon season!

I'm just frustrated that I can hardly get to any races, period. It is going to be an epic effort (Friday night rush-hour sprint to airport, fly out a few hours after the race) even to get to/from a sprint aquathlon in Singapore. Ugh. I love to race, but getting there and back is such a hassle! It's almost impossible for me to imagine getting into a car and just driving a few hours to an event. Even at home in the US, there's only one summer event that close by.

OK--Rant over. On the plus side, for two days straight, we haven't had hours of torrential rain, flash flooding, and 100% humidity. Ever since about a week before Worlds (end of August), that has been going on EVERY SINGLE DAY OR TWO. My brain is starting to grow a mold!

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-10-28 7:59 AM
2016-10-28 7:58 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Having the same issues. I have used up all my personal leave for the school year and I don't think I can get any more requests, even for unpaid leave, approved. The only race here is in early May (Vietnam 70.3) and not enthused about it. Would love to get back to Worlds but as it's on the east side of the US next year, I think even if I qualified, it's just too far to be able to do the race justice with the leave I'd be able to get. I've so far signed up for nothing but Cour d'Alene 70.3. Still thinking about trying the "back door" route to KQ at one of the IM 70.3 events in China, but I'm not sure what the chances are of actually being able to pull that off. It's not so much the race itself (that too--no guarantee I'd get a slot!) but logistics and politics--I'd have to get the visa when I'm in the US this summer and the time window in which I could do that is very small (it's only valid for entry within 3 months after issue); not having the passport could affect family vacation plans or my return to Vietnam. Then there's weather at that time of year (very wet and unstable here and most places I might fly through en route), the fact that China doesn't always honor a valid visa (it actually says that on their website; had this happen with an internal travel permit before--not allowed to enter a destination in Tibet that I had applied for, been approved for, paid for, and traveled several hours out of my way to--no explanation given, no money back), the problematic relations between Vietnam and China, etc. etc. That is a very, very corrupt country. (I lived there for a decade and speak the language fluently. I know.) I could see them making it difficult for foreign athletes in various ways to give locals an advantage to place and KQ. Speaking from experience, unfortunately, with some events I did in China when I lived there, not paranoia. Not sure how much it matters that a multinational like IM Corp. is involved, when IM is in fact owned by a Chinese holding company (Wanda). Wonder what my chances are of actually getting to the starting line, much less qualifying for anything, and if it is worth the expense. I guess it would be an adventure, and if they are going to do anything truly crooked like label the course only in Chinese, I will have a secret advantage! Vietnam has a Challenge Series race (70.3) as of this year, around the same time, that I might use as a backup race if all goes south. This year there were only a little over 100 people--the "other female triathlete" (there may be a few more, but she's the only one I know!) in town qualified for Challenge Roth there by winning her AG. (Thank goodness, she's not in my AG--just turned 25 and we're about the same speed--she's a much better biker, I'm a slightly faster runner and much faster swimmer. Sadly, she works for the LBS and isn't an early riser, so not much of potential training buddy.) But then it is back to heatstroke central. Plus...oh yeah....fall is our typhoon season! I'm just frustrated that I can hardly get to any races, period. It is going to be an epic effort (Friday night sprint to airport, fly out a few hours after the race) even to get to a sprint aquathlon in Singapore. Ugh. I love to race but getting there is such a hassle! It's almost impossibly for me to imagine getting into a car and just driving a few hours to a race. Even at home in the US. there's only one summer event that close by. OK--Rant over. On the plus side, for two days straight, we haven't had torrential rain, flooding, and 100% humidity. My brain was starting to grow a mold!

I'm sorry that races are so hard to get to between the geography, weather, and employment thing.  How frustrating!  The Challenge race sounds like it could be interesting if the one in China is a no go.

2016-10-28 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 29-30
Lisa - Backcountry Half Marathon (Las Vegas, NV) on Saturday
Randee - Halloween Wrentham Duathlon on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.