BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-11-29 8:55 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi guys do any of you have a Garmin wireless cadence sensor? If you do can you tell me the thickness of it? The sensor to my old bike computer doesn't fit between my crank and my frame so I'm looking at alternate options.

I have the one without magnets.  I'm not sure how thick it is but my sense is that getting the magnet out of the equation helps.  I think that the Wahoo one might be thinner?

I have one of each.  I got one for one of my bikes and then, later, got the one for the other bike and I just bought whatever was least expensive.  Both work fine.

2016-11-29 9:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by StaceyK Hi guys do any of you have a Garmin wireless cadence sensor? If you do can you tell me the thickness of it? The sensor to my old bike computer doesn't fit between my crank and my frame so I'm looking at alternate options.
we have one at home if no one gets to it first for you.

I have an apparently old school garmin speed and cadence sensor as I think the only thing on the crank is a magnet with the main unit mounted on my frame. If you have trouble with the newer garmin set up maybe look for an older version or a company that still uses that technology - maybe wahoo?

ETA: the magnet is about the size of a watch battery, maybe a tad thicker.

Edited by amd723 2016-11-29 9:12 AM
2016-11-29 9:22 AM

Master
Northern IL

Is it the sensor or the magnet that's the issue? Usually the magnet will go on the crank, so thinking it's that. I haven't looked at more options in some time as power units tend to have cadence built in already.

2016-11-29 9:32 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by TXTriRook Has anyone scored any good Cyber Monday deals? I plan on picking up a Garmin Vivoactive as a bday gift for my pops on Amazon. I'm still shopping around for anything else I'm likely to buy before tri season starts again so I can save some $.

I haven't, but I haven't been looking to much either  Pre black Friday and Cyber Monday I bought the Garmin 920xt on a huge sale and black Friday I got a good deal on the profile design aero HC  hydration system. I think that's it for my triathlon needs.  

I am so tempted by the 920.  I have a 235, but I don' t like that it only has three data screens.  After having the 310 and the 910, going to three fields from four feels so constricting.  However, the sales have also chopped the resale value of the 235, so I'm wondering whether to keep it or sell it.  At this point I wish I had just kept my 910 and not bought the 235.

im very happy with the 920, but if I had just purchased a watch like the 235, I don't know if I could justify to myself buying it! Did you sell your 910? I still have both my 310 and 910!!

The 310 died from water damage (kinda, it still works, but won't sync).  I sold the 910 to get the 235.  I was entranced by the idea of going from a HR monitor + GPS to just one device.  Buuuut now I wish I had just kept my last set up.  This was all precipitated by my drowning my Fitbit Charge HR and wanting to consolidate to just one device. Oi.

Tom, do you use your watch for everything? I was fine going from the 310 to the 210 (4 to 3) and was fine with it, but only used it for running. I have a separate bike computer as 4 wouldn't be nearly enough! (Plus the mapping)

I use it mainly for running, but I do use it for all three.  Though I have an Edge 500 on the bike that I mainly use for that.

When running, I'm used to seeing time, pace, distance, and HR.  Now I have to give up one of those.  Each of those feels vital.  Of course, I could set up a second screen to scroll to that would have the extra data.

Yeah, they are. I used the same four things before. Ended up dropping time as that was the least used one when actually out on the run. I still tend to gauge the runs more by time, but once on the route I kind of need to finish. Usually had a good enough idea on time aspect by minding pace & distance and only switched screens a few times a run at most. My watch is less programmable so stayed on the screen with HR featured and pace & distance as the extra (smaller sized) info. Intervals could be a little more interesting as I can't get both HR & time (of any type) on the same screen. I've been using HR much less now, so that has kind of worked itself out.

2016-11-29 4:30 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

I have an apparently old school garmin speed and cadence sensor as I think the only thing on the crank is a magnet with the main unit mounted on my frame. If you have trouble with the newer garmin set up maybe look for an older version or a company that still uses that technology - maybe wahoo?

I'm thinking something like this
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Garmin-ANT-Wireless-Speed-and-Cadence-S...
At the widest spot there is less than 1/2 inch clearance between the crank and the frame and the crank has a flat back not a hollow one.
2016-11-29 6:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by StaceyK

I'm thinking something like this
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Garmin-ANT-Wireless-Speed-and-Cadence-S...
At the widest spot there is less than 1/2 inch clearance between the crank and the frame and the crank has a flat back not a hollow one.

I replaced the magnet on my crank because I thought it looked ugly. What I found was a small round earth magnet that was a little smaller than the size of my pedal spindle.

(IMG_0724.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0724.JPG (445KB - 3 downloads)

2016-11-29 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I just looked at that Garmin unit you linked to. It doesnt use magnets so if its too thick I guess you are out of luck. I would bet it would be fine though, there isnt much clearance between the crank and chainstays on most bikes so I would think they would have taken that into account when designing it.
2016-11-30 8:31 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by DaveL I just looked at that Garmin unit you linked to. It doesnt use magnets so if its too thick I guess you are out of luck. I would bet it would be fine though, there isnt much clearance between the crank and chainstays on most bikes so I would think they would have taken that into account when designing it.

Stacey, I'd have to agree with Dave. Another thing that may help is that the sensor can be anywhere on the crank. So, there should be more clearance on the part of the crank arm that is closer to the bottom bracket, as opposed to out near the pedal. 

That said, I have a text out to a friend of mine that was shopping for one of these recently. If he bought it, I can get the dimensions from him. I can't find those on the web yet. 

2016-11-30 9:50 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how many of you have signed up for IM Louisville? I think I counted 4, but I may be short one or two.

2016-11-30 10:04 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how many of you have signed up for IM Louisville? I think I counted 4, but I may be short one or two.

I only know of three.  I am one of them.  I'll let the others reveal themselves ;-)

2016-11-30 11:08 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

I only know of three.  I am one of them.  I'll let the others reveal themselves ;-)

It makes me kind of queasy just typing it, but I am one of the crazies. 

2016-11-30 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Water bottle set up question:  I just sent back the profile design between the aero bars hydration system I recently bought because it did not fit my set up -my bars are very close together and are not adjustable; so I am looking for another solution.  I have the bottle that drops down between the bars, but understand that it is not aerodynamic.  I'll use it if I have to, but I'd like to get a set up that is not as bulky as I will take whatever seconds I can get with an easy equipment change!!

So, what are you all using? 

2016-11-30 11:22 AM

Master
Northern IL

Water bottle set up question:  I just sent back the profile design between the aero bars hydration system I recently bought because it did not fit my set up -my bars are very close together and are not adjustable; so I am looking for another solution.  I have the bottle that drops down between the bars, but understand that it is not aerodynamic.  I'll use it if I have to, but I'd like to get a set up that is not as bulky as I will take whatever seconds I can get with an easy equipment change!!

I used a Between The Arms (BTA) bottle. Could chuck the bottle at an aid station and not fiddle around with refilling. Mine would disappear from view with how my forearms were set up. This could also help with keeping in an odd size bottle though could vary with individuals.

I tried some BTA refillable setups, but never really got comfortable with it. Like the straw sticking out or going some direction or other.

I had a lot of confidence in my ability to find a decent enough place to take a drink and tried to do as little as possible at aid stations. The Louisville course (for example) has changed a lot from when I did it, but still likely has a lot of smaller rolling hills on it. Plenty of times where people will both slow and be sitting up naturally. Chucking and grabbing & bottle seemed easier than refilling very fast, stopping, or carrying and extra empty bottle.

Edited by brigby1 2016-11-30 11:27 AM
2016-11-30 11:52 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Orlando

I used a Between The Arms (BTA) bottle. Could chuck the bottle at an aid station and not fiddle around with refilling. Mine would disappear from view with how my forearms were set up. This could also help with keeping in an odd size bottle though could vary with individuals.

I tried some BTA refillable setups, but never really got comfortable with it. Like the straw sticking out or going some direction or other.

I had a lot of confidence in my ability to find a decent enough place to take a drink and tried to do as little as possible at aid stations. The Louisville course (for example) has changed a lot from when I did it, but still likely has a lot of smaller rolling hills on it. Plenty of times where people will both slow and be sitting up naturally. Chucking and grabbing & bottle seemed easier than refilling very fast, stopping, or carrying and extra empty bottle.

Good points on the ease of just grabbing another bottle and tossing what you are done with. Do you have a homemade set up or one like this?

2016-11-30 12:07 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hey, gang, just dropping in for a quick proof-of-life post.  We just got back from our extended WV visit yesterday and I'm clamoring to get back in the swing of things both with work and my personal life, everything seems out of whack.

2016-11-30 12:42 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

So, I was reading this article about HRV and I was wondering if anyone here finds it worth tracking?

2016-11-30 12:46 PM

Master
Northern IL

Good points on the ease of just grabbing another bottle and tossing what you are done with. Do you have a homemade set up or one like this?

Purchased, so more liked the linked one, but I never had the Garmin on top. That was always on the stem. Because of that, I probably should have tried the zip tie method though.

2016-11-30 12:52 PM

Master
Northern IL

So, I was reading this article about HRV and I was wondering if anyone here finds it worth tracking?

I've never used it, but some people in Fred's FB group (who are really worth listening to) do and have had good results with it. If I get more serious again it's something I would look at doing.

2016-11-30 3:59 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Purchased, so more liked the linked one, but I never had the Garmin on top. That was always on the stem. Because of that, I probably should have tried the zip tie method though.

I have the XLab Torpedo Versa (https://www.xlab-usa.com/torpedo-versa-500.html). It's also pretty easy to refill on the go and I love that it doesn't rattle around when I ride. The Garmin mount is a little annoying but for next season I'm going to look at removing and putting directly on my aero bars.
2016-12-01 4:46 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

I am in!!!

Proof of Life Post!
Manatees, my facebook feed keeps bring up the Lumo Run, which is supposed to help with your running form. Has anyone seen this? It's probably just another gimmick, but I read a DC Rainmaker review and now admit that I'm intrigued by it. As a person who struggles with the run, getting feedback on cadence, forward lean, etc. during a run is appealing. Good for me that it is only iphone as of now, so not an option.
http://www.lumobodytech.com/lumo-run/

Edited by abake 2016-12-01 4:48 AM
2016-12-01 4:51 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by TXTriRook

I have the XLab Torpedo Versa (https://www.xlab-usa.com/torpedo-versa-500.html). It's also pretty easy to refill on the go and I love that it doesn't rattle around when I ride. The Garmin mount is a little annoying but for next season I'm going to look at removing and putting directly on my aero bars.

Another vote for the XLab Torpedo, works well and easy to refill. I had a Torhans BTA for a while and ended up chucking the whole system, it just leaked everywhere.

2016-12-01 6:08 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Another vote for the XLab Torpedo, works well and easy to refill. I had a Torhans BTA for a while and ended up chucking the whole system, it just leaked everywhere.

Thanks! Looks like I have a couple of systems to consider.

2016-12-01 6:35 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake

I am in!!!

It sounds like there are three of us going to IM Lou.  I tried to "encourage" others. 

2016-12-01 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Now that Chris brought up IM Lou 2017, I think that the door is opened for 2017 plans.  What are your plans for 2017?

I'll start. My A races are Shamrock marathon in March and IM Lou in October.

2016-12-01 6:56 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Now that Chris brought up IM Lou 2017, I think that the door is opened for 2017 plans.  What are your plans for 2017?

I'll start. My A races are Shamrock marathon in March and IM Lou in October.

IM Lou is my A race.  I don't really designate my other races, but I do have Zion HM in April that I am really looking forward to.  I hope my hamstring is healed enough soon so I can start running like I need to make it a good race!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.