BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-12-01 6:57 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer

Now that Chris brought up IM Lou 2017, I think that the door is opened for 2017 plans.  What are your plans for 2017?

I'll start. My A races are Shamrock marathon in March and IM Lou in October.

IM Lou is my A race.  I don't really designate my other races, but I do have Zion HM in April that I am really looking forward to.  I hope my hamstring is healed enough soon so I can start running like I need to make it a good race!

Are you doing any tris before Lou?  I am planning on the Lake Logan HIM again this year.

2016-12-01 7:12 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Now that Chris brought up IM Lou 2017, I think that the door is opened for 2017 plans.  What are your plans for 2017?

I'm still planning for this weekend.

2016-12-01 7:14 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

I'm still planning for this weekend.

2016-12-01 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by amd723

IM Lou is my A race.  I don't really designate my other races, but I do have Zion HM in April that I am really looking forward to.  I hope my hamstring is healed enough soon so I can start running like I need to make it a good race!

Are you doing any tris before Lou?  I am planning on the Lake Logan HIM again this year.

i haven't really gotten that far as I'm still kinda in denial about Lou, but I've been told that would be a good race to do.  We'll see...

2016-12-01 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I am working through my schedule now. Probably do an Xterra race at some point this year. I need to figure out if it will be early or late in the season and their website isn't the most helpful. Some info, but not enough to make an extremely informed decision. Possible trail runs in the winter, early next year. Probably do a couple of the local sprint tri's as well.

My schedule is currently quite open, so if anyone has suggestions...

2016-12-01 8:34 AM
in reply to: abake

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by abake Manatees, my facebook feed keeps bring up the Lumo Run, which is supposed to help with your running form. Has anyone seen this? It's probably just another gimmick, but I read a DC Rainmaker review and now admit that I'm intrigued by it. As a person who struggles with the run, getting feedback on cadence, forward lean, etc. during a run is appealing. Good for me that it is only iphone as of now, so not an option. http://www.lumobodytech.com/lumo-run/

I've seen it come up too. Probably going to be more wait and see for a bit on something like this. I think it's a multi-directional accelerometer and they've been around for at least a few years, though more for in studies than commercially available with visibility like this is pushing for. Kind of want to make sure the analysis and training that comes from that has matured well enough first. There could be some potential, but especially since it's running that also includes the potential to create more issues than it fixes.

2016-12-01 12:47 PM

User image

Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by abake Manatees, my facebook feed keeps bring up the Lumo Run, which is supposed to help with your running form. Has anyone seen this? It's probably just another gimmick, but I read a DC Rainmaker review and now admit that I'm intrigued by it. As a person who struggles with the run, getting feedback on cadence, forward lean, etc. during a run is appealing. Good for me that it is only iphone as of now, so not an option. http://www.lumobodytech.com/lumo-run/

I've seen it come up too. Probably going to be more wait and see for a bit on something like this. I think it's a multi-directional accelerometer and they've been around for at least a few years, though more for in studies than commercially available with visibility like this is pushing for. Kind of want to make sure the analysis and training that comes from that has matured well enough first. There could be some potential, but especially since it's running that also includes the potential to create more issues than it fixes.

If it was available for Android I would be all over it. Their posture sensor has an android app, so hopefully soon.
2016-12-01 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I've never seen this before.  It's interesting, but I think I'd want to see results with others first.

2016-12-01 1:55 PM
in reply to: emcmino

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Just a quick drive by update:

My friend's little girl made it through brain surgery, and her tumor is classed as grade II. Prayers are still very much needed, as she has a long road ahead, possibly including chemo and definitely including lots of therapy.

My root canal went fine....until they discovered another one on the other side and a bunch of other cavities. My headaches have been related to all this stuff, so I haven't been spending much time in front of screens. Hence the lack of BT time.

I gave my notice at work today! I got a new job!!
2016-12-01 2:02 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia Just a quick drive by update: My friend's little girl made it through brain surgery, and her tumor is classed as grade II. Prayers are still very much needed, as she has a long road ahead, possibly including chemo and definitely including lots of therapy. My root canal went fine....until they discovered another one on the other side and a bunch of other cavities. My headaches have been related to all this stuff, so I haven't been spending much time in front of screens. Hence the lack of BT time. I gave my notice at work today! I got a new job!!

I'm glad that your friend's daughter made it through surgery.  Continued good thoughts heading her way.

Hopefully the dental stuff will resolve the headaches. That would be a good things.

CONGRATS ON THE NEW JOB!

2016-12-01 8:00 PM
in reply to: emcmino

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by emcmino

If it was available for Android I would be all over it. Their posture sensor has an android app, so hopefully soon.

Think there is potential with it too. Just something that can very easily be misunderstood. Very easy to end up chasing numbers without really understanding why. Something like vertical oscillation, lower is not necessarily better. Gravity can help get a literal bounce in your step. Kangaroos take that to more extreme. Front to back improvement can come from less braking forces that slow you down, but less so if the form turns into a speed walking hybrid that doesn't have any spring to it. It's still very necessary to understand and feel through the work. The numbers can help supplement that, but caution in going directly to the numbers a lot as that skips over an important part and heads towards the chasing part.

Not too different from some swimming things. Like stroke count. It can be reduced by just taking longer to do the stroke. More so when getting into a catch-up drill. Can get to 0 just by kicking. None of these necessarily mean more efficiency and looking just at the numbers misses the point of the work, to work on extending better in the water. How one gets there is the heart of it, not just getting a "better" number.

Since this all can sound very negative towards it, I'm interested in where tech like this ends up going too. Hence waiting for it to mature some more instead of writing of off as gimmicky or garbage. The work to do for any of this is already out there in the form of strides, repetition pace work, hill repeats, skips & bounds, and other things. When used well, this may help hone in some of what to do there.

2016-12-02 5:20 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Agree on having the potential to create problems --- it would be interesting to follow some case studies and see if the benefits/improvements in running form translate into fewer injuries.
2016-12-02 5:23 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Atlantia

Just a quick drive by update:

My friend's little girl made it through brain surgery, and her tumor is classed as grade II. Prayers are still very much needed, as she has a long road ahead, possibly including chemo and definitely including lots of therapy.

My root canal went fine....until they discovered another one on the other side and a bunch of other cavities. My headaches have been related to all this stuff, so I haven't been spending much time in front of screens. Hence the lack of BT time.

I gave my notice at work today! I got a new job!!

So sorry about your friend's little girl. Will send good thoughts and prayer for her.
Yikes on the root canal --- so you have to get another one? Once those issues are all cleared up, I am sure you will feel much better.
Congrats on the new job!!!!! Way to end the year!
2016-12-02 5:59 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia Just a quick drive by update: My friend's little girl made it through brain surgery, and her tumor is classed as grade II. Prayers are still very much needed, as she has a long road ahead, possibly including chemo and definitely including lots of therapy. My root canal went fine....until they discovered another one on the other side and a bunch of other cavities. My headaches have been related to all this stuff, so I haven't been spending much time in front of screens. Hence the lack of BT time. I gave my notice at work today! I got a new job!!

happy news that your friend's little girl made it through surgery, I can only imagine what she and her family are going through.

yikes! That's a lot of teeth trouble!! it won't be fun to get through, but I'm sure you'll feel a lot better once it is done.

Yay, for a new job!!

2016-12-02 6:54 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake

Agree on having the potential to create problems --- it would be interesting to follow some case studies and see if the benefits/improvements in running form translate into fewer injuries.

I think that it would be helpful in conjunction with a local running coach.  I mean, if you could track it yourself but get feedback from a running coach every other week.  I don't necessarily mean a private coach, either.  Some places have group runs with coaches that know what they're doing.

2016-12-02 9:03 AM

User image

Melon Presser

GO RACING MANATEES!

Go me at IMWA Sunday

My best friend in Jakarta just passed away ... long-term health complications but he was still so young. I miss him terribly but feel his presence and super support near. Kinda beside myself and feeling ... homeless, lost.

2016-12-02 9:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

GO RACING MANATEES!

Go me at IMWA Sunday

My best friend in Jakarta just passed away ... long-term health complications but he was still so young. I miss him terribly but feel his presence and super support near. Kinda beside myself and feeling ... homeless, lost.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend, Yanti.  (((big hugs)))  Good luck to you on Sunday, be safe and have as much fun as you can.  

Edited by melbo55 2016-12-02 9:42 AM
2016-12-02 10:20 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

GO RACING MANATEES!

Go me at IMWA Sunday

So sorry for your loss. Go get'um this weekend!!!!

2016-12-02 2:25 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatee!!!

December 3-4
Yanti - Ironman Western Australia on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

2016-12-02 2:49 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

I am working through my schedule now. Probably do an Xterra race at some point this year. I need to figure out if it will be early or late in the season and their website isn't the most helpful. Some info, but not enough to make an extremely informed decision. Possible trail runs in the winter, early next year. Probably do a couple of the local sprint tri's as well.

My schedule is currently quite open, so if anyone has suggestions...

After checking DH's work schedule my "A" races are:

Oracle Rumble 50 miler in Tucson on January 28

C&O Canal 100 near Knoxville, MD on April 29-30. (Yes, there are two days because the cut-off for 100's is 30 hours)

A couple others I'm doing for "fun" are

The Pueblo Marathon in Colorado on Feb 19 (because I like the RD)

The Bataan Death March Memorial Marathon at White Sands Missile Range on Mar 19 with my RWB team

2016-12-02 2:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Jim, I am sorry to hear about more difficulties for your family.  Enough already!  Glad to hear your wife is convalescing.

Laura, glad to hear your friends daughter did well with the surgery.  Continued good thoughts and prayers.  I hope your teeth get worked out and congrats on the new job!!!

Yanti, I am so sorry to hear about your loss.  I hope you feel less lost in very short order. Good luck on Sunday.

I am just about done with this semester literally and already done with it figuratively.  We have a great group of second year students, but the first years are...trying.  Two weeks of exams and then a nice break!

My training has been spotty lately, as I always struggle with getting out of bed when it is so dark and dreary for so long.  We have had about 55 days out of the last 60 that have had measurable rain.  Ugh.  If I don't train in the AM, then it doesn't happen, either, for the most part.  Trying to do SOMETHING each day at least.  If nothing else, I am getting in 2-3 days of strength training a week, because I can do that at lunch or right after work.  Which I have to get back to now .  Have a great weekend everyone!

ETA:  Race schedule!!  Very, very tentative:

June 4 Oliver half distance

June 25 Coeur D'Alene 70.3

July 27 Whistler 70.3

Nov 26? IM Cozumel

Edited by IronOx 2016-12-02 2:57 PM

2016-12-02 4:45 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I will (hopefully) see you in Cour d'Alene! Whistler sounds awesome, but I have to head back here on the 28th. That's cutting it a bit close!

Not many races planned for this year as I don't have any more personal leave (took in all for Worlds in the third week of school). So far just Singapore Sprint Aquathlon in February, Singapore Sprint Tri in April, Cour d'Alene in June, hometown Oly (Tri at the Grove) at end of July, and Chongqing 70.3 at end of September, assuming I can get a Chinese visa.That's very difficult from here due to poor relations between Vietnam and China, and they are only valid for three months, so I have a really narrow window of time to get the visa when I'm home in the US; if there are any hiccups in the process, I won't be racing in China as would need 2-3 more days of leave to try to arrange the visa from here. Backup would probably be Challenge Vietnam in late September instead.
2016-12-03 10:15 AM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatee!!!

December 3-4
Yanti - Ironman Western Australia on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Good Luck tomorrow Yanti. Enjoy tour day!

I'm sorry for your loss.
2016-12-03 6:24 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
GOOOO Yanti--I will stalk you if I get the chance.... So sorry about your friend. He'll be cheering you on from somewhere out there, or at least in your heart.
2016-12-03 7:06 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Yanti's out of the swim in 1:21:33.
She spent 15 minutes in transition and is on the first leg of the bike. No bike splits yet.

It is only going to be around 24 (75) here today so she will struggle as she finds that cold to race in.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.