BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-12-21 9:27 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by cdban66

So, I have my first race of 2017 on the calendar. Piggy's Revenge will be 40 miles on the MTB in a nearby Wildlife Preserve. 01/08/2017. I am doing it with a friend that I have known since Jr High. It ought to be interesting, to put it kindly. Or, more honestly, painful. And fun.

And no, I'm not applying to be an ambassador at Skirt Sports. No one wants to see that! 

Sounds challenging, fun, and exciting!  I just read a webpage of sorts for the race.  I like how it discusses(paraphrasing) knowing how to handle yourself around wildlife - alligators, wild boars, deer and to watch where you stand because of fire ants.  It also mentions a few times that 'You are on your own'.

2016-12-21 9:43 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Does anyone know about bike racing? I met a guy in my office (works on my floor, not my company) who was telling me there's a big bike racing community in Dallas and that I should give it a try. I was asking about how the "Cat's" work and he mentioned that he's a Cat 3 and needs a special license to race. With a new house move and new baby coming in 2017, I'm not sure it's the year to start bike racing but in the event I have the time and am feeling ambitious, does anyone know how the Cats work and what kind of "license" (if any) I'd need to buy just to try it?
2016-12-21 9:54 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TXTriRook Does anyone know about bike racing? I met a guy in my office (works on my floor, not my company) who was telling me there's a big bike racing community in Dallas and that I should give it a try. I was asking about how the "Cat's" work and he mentioned that he's a Cat 3 and needs a special license to race. With a new house move and new baby coming in 2017, I'm not sure it's the year to start bike racing but in the event I have the time and am feeling ambitious, does anyone know how the Cats work and what kind of "license" (if any) I'd need to buy just to try it?

As I understand it, everyone starts at a Cat 4/5 and then works up based on points and experience. 

For cycling, you register with USA Cycling similar to the way you register for USA Triathlon for tris.

It looks like there is information about category upgrade on their site here: http://www.usacycling.org/category-upgrade-information.htm

Isn't a cycling license what other organizations call a membership?

2016-12-21 10:11 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by TXTriRook Does anyone know about bike racing? I met a guy in my office (works on my floor, not my company) who was telling me there's a big bike racing community in Dallas and that I should give it a try. I was asking about how the "Cat's" work and he mentioned that he's a Cat 3 and needs a special license to race. With a new house move and new baby coming in 2017, I'm not sure it's the year to start bike racing but in the event I have the time and am feeling ambitious, does anyone know how the Cats work and what kind of "license" (if any) I'd need to buy just to try it?

As I understand it, everyone starts at a Cat 4/5 and then works up based on points and experience. 

For cycling, you register with USA Cycling similar to the way you register for USA Triathlon for tris.

It looks like there is information about category upgrade on their site here: http://www.usacycling.org/category-upgrade-information.htm

Thanks for the info! I'll stick triathlons for now
2016-12-21 11:03 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

The license is sort of like a membership in some ways, but the Cat system really makes things different. You have to race with your Cat level. You have to earn your way up, but someone like that Cat 3 buddy can't one day decide to race down in 5 temporarily to help another through or whatever. The Cat 5 for men (Cat 4 for women) is closer to what you might think of as a membership as anyone can just sign up and have at it. Women only go to Cat 4.

Keep in mind that the racing style is very different than what we'd be used to here. Some love it, some don't. Jetson has done some this past year. MrMatt did before too.

ETA: I think a number of races may let you just get a single day license. Might only be for Cat 5 as a lot of people do like to just try it out or only race a handful of times during the year. This can vary by race and possibly by region too.

Edited by brigby1 2016-12-21 11:05 AM
2016-12-22 12:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi Manatees, thanks for your inspires over the last couple of weeks I have really appreciated them. I am finally starting to feel a little bit more like myself.

Over the last week I have put together a training plan to enable us to all do our first Marathon at the beginning of July and then a few other races and then the Dopey challenge in Jan 2018. I have used Hal Higdon's plans as the basis for what I put together as a few of you have recommended them. It is kind of a little daunting to see the entire 2017 training calendar laid out on a yearly planner, but it also feels more manageable cause I know the plan will work if we stick to it.

Anyway K, Mum and I have been lacking motivation to run recently so we have come up with a challenge. The bottom line of it is whom ever drops the most number of training days between 26th December and 31st January has to buy the other 2 $100 gift vouchers at the store of their choosing. It has certainly got the trash talk going as well as the motivation. We've come up with the following rules:
- you can rearrange days within the week but you cant push runs to the next week
- if you dont do 100% of the scheduled distance then it counts as a missed day
- you can't do 2 runs a day to make up for a missed day
- if you are sick you require a Dr certificate otherwise it counts as a missed day

Mum and K (and maybe me) are all pretty good at cheating so E is adjudicating as she is having surgery in a little over a week and will not be able to run for all of January.

If the challenge wasn't enough to get us motivated the dates for Run Disney 2018 are now out and registration opens on 14th February so it got a little bit more real today. In light of that when it says Noon ET I guess that is Eastern time and that means like Washington DC time is that correct?

Edited by StaceyK 2016-12-22 2:10 AM

2016-12-22 4:57 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Thanks all for the b-day wishes.  Was a nice one with the family (although I had a board meeting that day - fun!).

Got a Tacx Vortex!  Made my inaugural ride on Zwift yesterday.  Was a blast (now trying unsuccessfully to link to Strava, though).

Cold here, too.  Feels like 16 (actual 28), which is legit cold - especially for thin blooded southern types.  I'm actually loving it, as are the kids (although caroling was CANCELED tonight cuz it's too cold - whaaaaaa????).

Randee - nice ink!  

Matt

I'll be watching for more on this.  I think that next fall I'll be upgrading my trainer so I'm in the very early "I really should be paying attention to this" stage. I may end up just getting a Kickr Snap to keep things easy in the household but we shall see.

It must be the season, I'm also looking at a Kickr Snap. Our LBS is getting 4 of them in next week. They tell me they can't keep these things in stock right now.
2016-12-22 4:59 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Illinois

So, I have my first race of 2017 on the calendar. Piggy's Revenge will be 40 miles on the MTB in a nearby Wildlife Preserve. 01/08/2017. I am doing it with a friend that I have known since Jr High. It ought to be interesting, to put it kindly. Or, more honestly, painful. And fun.

And no, I'm not applying to be an ambassador at Skirt Sports. No one wants to see that! 

Piggy's Revenge sounds like a fun race! But 40 miles on a mountain bike...that's a good long race!
2016-12-22 6:49 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by melbo55

Sounds challenging, fun, and exciting!  I just read a webpage of sorts for the race.  I like how it discusses(paraphrasing) knowing how to handle yourself around wildlife - alligators, wild boars, deer and to watch where you stand because of fire ants.  It also mentions a few times that 'You are on your own'.

What, no mention of rattlesnakes?!?!

2016-12-22 6:50 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi Manatees, thanks for your inspires over the last couple of weeks I have really appreciated them. I am finally starting to feel a little bit more like myself. Over the last week I have put together a training plan to enable us to all do our first Marathon at the beginning of July and then a few other races and then the Dopey challenge in Jan 2018. I have used Hal Higdon's plans as the basis for what I put together as a few of you have recommended them. It is kind of a little daunting to see the entire 2017 training calendar laid out on a yearly planner, but it also feels more manageable cause I know the plan will work if we stick to it. Anyway K, Mum and I have been lacking motivation to run recently so we have come up with a challenge. The bottom line of it is whom ever drops the most number of training days between 26th December and 31st January has to buy the other 2 $100 gift vouchers at the store of their choosing. It has certainly got the trash talk going as well as the motivation. We've come up with the following rules: - you can rearrange days within the week but you cant push runs to the next week - if you dont do 100% of the scheduled distance then it counts as a missed day - you can't do 2 runs a day to make up for a missed day - if you are sick you require a Dr certificate otherwise it counts as a missed day Mum and K (and maybe me) are all pretty good at cheating so E is adjudicating as she is having surgery in a little over a week and will not be able to run for all of January. If the challenge wasn't enough to get us motivated the dates for Run Disney 2018 are now out and registration opens on 14th February so it got a little bit more real today. In light of that when it says Noon ET I guess that is Eastern time and that means like Washington DC time is that correct?

Stacey, I love the trash talking and the challenge. Kick some butt!

2016-12-22 6:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi Manatees, thanks for your inspires over the last couple of weeks I have really appreciated them. I am finally starting to feel a little bit more like myself. Over the last week I have put together a training plan to enable us to all do our first Marathon at the beginning of July and then a few other races and then the Dopey challenge in Jan 2018. I have used Hal Higdon's plans as the basis for what I put together as a few of you have recommended them. It is kind of a little daunting to see the entire 2017 training calendar laid out on a yearly planner, but it also feels more manageable cause I know the plan will work if we stick to it. Anyway K, Mum and I have been lacking motivation to run recently so we have come up with a challenge. The bottom line of it is whom ever drops the most number of training days between 26th December and 31st January has to buy the other 2 $100 gift vouchers at the store of their choosing. It has certainly got the trash talk going as well as the motivation. We've come up with the following rules: - you can rearrange days within the week but you cant push runs to the next week - if you dont do 100% of the scheduled distance then it counts as a missed day - you can't do 2 runs a day to make up for a missed day - if you are sick you require a Dr certificate otherwise it counts as a missed day Mum and K (and maybe me) are all pretty good at cheating so E is adjudicating as she is having surgery in a little over a week and will not be able to run for all of January. If the challenge wasn't enough to get us motivated the dates for Run Disney 2018 are now out and registration opens on 14th February so it got a little bit more real today. In light of that when it says Noon ET I guess that is Eastern time and that means like Washington DC time is that correct?

I love the challenge! :-D

Yes, the same time as Washington, DC and New York.

2016-12-22 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Great challenge!
2016-12-22 7:29 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by abake

Piggy's Revenge sounds like a fun race! But 40 miles on a mountain bike...that's a good long race!

I think our goal is going to be under 4 hours, but I REALLY don't know what to expect.

2016-12-22 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by abake

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Thanks all for the b-day wishes.  Was a nice one with the family (although I had a board meeting that day - fun!).

Got a Tacx Vortex!  Made my inaugural ride on Zwift yesterday.  Was a blast (now trying unsuccessfully to link to Strava, though).

Cold here, too.  Feels like 16 (actual 28), which is legit cold - especially for thin blooded southern types.  I'm actually loving it, as are the kids (although caroling was CANCELED tonight cuz it's too cold - whaaaaaa????).

Randee - nice ink!  

Matt

I'll be watching for more on this.  I think that next fall I'll be upgrading my trainer so I'm in the very early "I really should be paying attention to this" stage. I may end up just getting a Kickr Snap to keep things easy in the household but we shall see.

It must be the season, I'm also looking at a Kickr Snap. Our LBS is getting 4 of them in next week. They tell me they can't keep these things in stock right now.

Us too - my DH recently proposed getting a fancy trainer after baby 2 comes as a way to keep up the cycling motivation ... he came home with the Tacx brochure. We'll see. 

2016-12-22 10:45 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

Great challenge!

It is a great challenge! My sister has her degree in behavioural psychology and i am definitely interested in things like nudging - and the fear of losing plus the monetary loss (people hate to lose more than they love to win) are very powerful motivators!!

We're here cheering you to win! 

2016-12-22 6:21 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by amd723

Great challenge!

It is a great challenge! My sister has her degree in behavioural psychology and i am definitely interested in things like nudging - and the fear of losing plus the monetary loss (people hate to lose more than they love to win) are very powerful motivators!!

We're here cheering you to win! 

So I was talking with Phil last night, making sure he's on board for me doing Disney (I have checked before but just rechecking) and I showed him the years training plan and told him about the challenge. He thinks I should pay him for every training day I miss during 2017, I suggested $2 he thinks $20 would be better.

It fair to say we have not come to an agreement on this one.

2016-12-23 11:22 AM

Master
Northern IL

Sounds like he has some confidence in you! 

2016-12-23 12:56 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Sounds like he has some confidence in you! 

Haha!  That's one way of looking at it!

2016-12-23 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Merry Christmas!!!

I know of no Racing Manatees this week. If anyone has a race/event coming up, please post it!  I didn't see any racers for next weekend either.  What a bunch of slackers we all are!

Janyne's birthday (<<< that's me!) is Sunday. 

Remember to be on the lookout for the 2017 edition of the Manatees!

2016-12-23 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Merry Christmas!!!

I know of no Racing Manatees this week. If anyone has a race/event coming up, please post it!  I didn't see any racers for next weekend either.  What a bunch of slackers we all are!

Happy Birthday - a bit early!!

Merry Christmas all!!

2016-12-23 2:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Merry Christmas!!!

Happy early birthday!

Happiest of holidays to the pod.

Matt

2016-12-24 5:10 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Merry Christmas!!!

Happy Early Birthday!!!
2016-12-24 6:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
It's nearly Sunday here so

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANYNE
2016-12-24 1:08 PM

User image

Melon Presser

It IS Sunday here so NyNy ...

(Hippo Bird Day 2 Ewe.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Hippo Bird Day 2 Ewe.jpg (37KB - 22 downloads)
2016-12-24 1:22 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master

Merry Christmas to all Manatees on the far side of the pond!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.