General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Coach recmomendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-29 2:50 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: Tri Coach recmomendations
I'm looking at getting a coach for the first time, starting this off-season. Looking for an online coaching type set-up, where they give me workouts to do and follow up weekly. Focusing mostly on Ironman distance. With a plethora of athletes that have coaches on here, I'm wondering what other people recommend. And anything else you think I should keep in mind as well.

2016-07-29 3:52 PM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: RE: Tri Coach recmomendations
Recommendations* rather
2016-07-29 5:45 PM
in reply to: #5193234

Hi www.triarhloncoaching.uk.com are great, online programmes for your training needs, loads of online support, easy access to coaches, very quick email responses.
2016-07-30 8:43 AM
in reply to: #5193254

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Hey there!

Check out my site: www.TZcoaching.com

Feel free to shoot me a note too and we can chat more see how I can help out!
2016-07-31 3:04 PM
in reply to: tzcoaching

buckeyeguy77:

I'm curious if there is a reason you want a strict "online" option? Often times a better option is coaching with dynamic plans... as opposed to getting a boiler plate schedule that's been used for a bunch of athletes and is not adjusted based on your performance, set backs, etc.
2016-07-31 4:17 PM
in reply to: dabrosca

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by dabrosca

buckeyeguy77:

I'm curious if there is a reason you want a strict "online" option? Often times a better option is coaching with dynamic plans... as opposed to getting a boiler plate schedule that's been used for a bunch of athletes and is not adjusted based on your performance, set backs, etc.

Why are you assuming that online means canned plan?

Shane

2016-07-31 4:22 PM

User image

Champion
Depends on what you're looking for and how much you're willing to spend but here are a few I'd check out:

Francois Modave
Brian Stover
Don Larkin (posts here)
Mike Ricci (posts here)
Suzanne Atkinson (posts here)

There are tons of coaches but there aren't nearly as many good coaches. There are a few threads here on what to ask a prospective coach - worth checking out as the interview should give you the ability to separate good from bad and then narrow down the good to those who would be a good fit.

Good luck in your search,

Shane
2016-07-31 4:56 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Shane,

Are you taking on any clients?

2016-07-31 5:24 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Champion
Originally posted by triosaurus

Shane,

Are you taking on any clients?

I have one spot available at the moment.

Shane
2016-08-01 1:08 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Thanks you guys. I definitely don't want a "boiler plate" training plan. I want an online coach that reviews your workouts and goals, and changes your workouts based on feedback they receive. I'll check out some of the options mentioned.
2016-08-01 2:23 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by buckeyeguy77 Thanks you guys. I definitely don't want a "boiler plate" training plan. I want an online coach that reviews your workouts and goals, and changes your workouts based on feedback they receive. I'll check out some of the options mentioned.

I'm looking for something similar.  I appreciate the list of recommendations.  I'm nervous about selecting/interviewing someone.  I had an awesome coach and she retired from coaching in the spring.  I feel like I need some help with the selection process after I had a bad coaching experience recently.  I don't know how all of this is supposed to work.

2016-08-01 2:42 PM
in reply to: #5193286

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Feel free to shoot me a note. Will be happy to walk you thru the process, answer any questions and help figure out what would work best for you!
2016-08-01 2:43 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by buckeyeguy77 Thanks you guys. I definitely don't want a "boiler plate" training plan. I want an online coach that reviews your workouts and goals, and changes your workouts based on feedback they receive. I'll check out some of the options mentioned.

I'm looking for something similar.  I appreciate the list of recommendations.  I'm nervous about selecting/interviewing someone.  I had an awesome coach and she retired from coaching in the spring.  I feel like I need some help with the selection process after I had a bad coaching experience recently.  I don't know how all of this is supposed to work.

The selection process is the hard part

The problem with recommendations is that a coach that is good for athlete A may not be compatible with athlete B. There is one coach on Shane's list that I used and he is amazing. Probably one of the best coaches in tri. Would he be compatible/optimal with all athletes? I really doubt it. There are others on that list I am sure are the same.

I ended up working with 5 friends and/or friends of friends and 3 were amazing and 2 less amazing. Not anyone's fault, just big differences in approaches
2016-08-01 2:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by gsmacleod Depends on what you're looking for and how much you're willing to spend but here are a few I'd check out: Francois Modave Brian Stover Don Larkin (posts here) Mike Ricci (posts here) Suzanne Atkinson (posts here) There are tons of coaches but there aren't nearly as many good coaches. There are a few threads here on what to ask a prospective coach - worth checking out as the interview should give you the ability to separate good from bad and then narrow down the good to those who would be a good fit. Good luck in your search, Shane

Thanks for the recommendation, Shane.  I work with most athletes year-round, changing the training focus and objectives throughout the year, with goals for both short term and long term athlete development, but have two "once and done" IMers dropping off by the end of August.  (one just raced IMLP and the other is racing IMMT) As of September 1, I'll have openings for 3 athletes.  For someone with long term goals, or their first long course race the following year, when this year's races are winding down in the fall can be a good time to start working with a coach.  One of the mistakes I see people make is thinking if they're targeting an IM, and most stock plans are 16-20 weeks, then that's all the farther out before a race they should start with a coach.  That can cause an athlete to miss out on much of the benefits of being coached instead of going it alone.

My specialty is the average AGer trying to get faster or tackle their first long course race, but they have either physical limitations due to a past injury or chronic illness, or a constantly changing schedule that makes using generic plans nearly impossible.  We optimize their training to get the best performance despite the limitations imposed by their health or time constraints.

I should also note that, along with the other coaches Shane mentioned, he is one of the people I'd personally consider if I were looking for a coach.

Edited by TriMyBest 2016-08-01 3:04 PM
2016-08-01 3:02 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by jmkizer

The selection process is the hard part The problem with recommendations is that a coach that is good for athlete A may not be compatible with athlete B. There is one coach on Shane's list that I used and he is amazing. Probably one of the best coaches in tri. Would he be compatible/optimal with all athletes? I really doubt it. There are others on that list I am sure are the same. I ended up working with 5 friends and/or friends of friends and 3 were amazing and 2 less amazing. Not anyone's fault, just big differences in approaches

Marc's advice is excellent.  This is the sort of great information that you'll find in the other threads about selecting a coach.  Spend some time researching, interviewing, and putting some thought into the decision before pulling the trigger.  IMO, assuming a basic level of competency, compatibility between the coach and athlete is the most important thing to look for.

2016-08-01 3:08 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks all!

2016-08-01 5:24 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

What's wrong with a canned plan?  I know of champion teams that have set workouts that are part of their tradition and heritage.  They wouldn't dare change their plan because they feel it is part of their success, so if there are hundreds of athletes that have followed a canned plan and shown dramatic improvements from what they were doing before wouldn't you welcome the same canned plan?  

2016-08-01 5:45 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

What's wrong with a canned plan?  I know of champion teams that have set workouts that are part of their tradition and heritage.  They wouldn't dare change their plan because they feel it is part of their success, so if there are hundreds of athletes that have followed a canned plan and shown dramatic improvements from what they were doing before wouldn't you welcome the same canned plan?  

Do you believe that someone new to the sport should be on the same training plan as say...Javier Gomez or Lionel Sanders?

2016-08-02 9:42 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Canned plans can and do work well for many people.  For others, not so much.  I followed some canned plans for a few years, they made me stronger and I got faster in races.  Then I hired a coach (Shane) and I got a lot faster, a lot sooner.  

2016-08-02 9:48 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by axteraa

Canned plans can and do work well for many people.  For others, not so much.  I followed some canned plans for a few years, they made me stronger and I got faster in races.  Then I hired a coach (Shane) and I got a lot faster, a lot sooner.  

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with a good canned plan, but they're still rarely going to provide the optimum results for an individual.  Think of it this way, if a canned plan approximates 80% of an optimum training regimen for an athlete, they're likely to see some pretty nice results.  Definitely much better than they likely achieved in the past following a haphazard approach to their training.  If that same athlete were to have access to a custom regimen for them that achieves 95% of optimum, they're going to have better results.

2016-08-02 1:43 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by axteraa

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with a good canned plan, but they're still rarely going to provide the optimum results for an individual.  Think of it this way, if a canned plan approximates 80% of an optimum training regimen for an athlete, they're likely to see some pretty nice results.  Definitely much better than they likely achieved in the past following a haphazard approach to their training.  If that same athlete were to have access to a custom regimen for them that achieves 95% of optimum, they're going to have better results.

I've been self-coached for my triathlons so far (3+ years in) For my HIMs (no IMs yet), I've followed canned plans. 1 beginner plan from TriRadar. 1 intermediate plan from TrainingPeaks (Gale Bernhardt), and this year I'm following a Trainerroad triathlon plans. There have really been minimal difference between the three. I think trainerroad is a little different in that you follow their indoor bike workouts. Other than that they're all mostly similar in how each week's workouts are setup.

I just assume that with a coach, one gets a little more customization based on the athlete's goals/strengths/weaknesses, has the coach to analyze an athlete's workouts, and make adjustments to the plan if necessary.

2016-08-03 7:32 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Jason N

Do you believe that someone new to the sport should be on the same training plan as say...Javier Gomez or Lionel Sanders?

Absolutely!!!  If they can't do at least 25 hours of training a week then they they shouldn't even attempt a local sprint triathlon. :-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Coach recmomendations Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri coach or run coach or ....?

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1400 Posts: 9

2008-11-26 10:21 PM tcovert

Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches? Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by Rocket Man
Views: 9523 Posts: 150

2008-03-24 3:37 PM kenail

Coach vs. no coach Pages: 1 2

Started by kellc09
Views: 3453 Posts: 27

2007-07-05 12:36 PM KSH

Mike R and other coaches- convince why I need a coach rather than a plan

Started by xterratri
Views: 2191 Posts: 23

2006-12-21 1:57 PM gsmacleod

Anyone hire on online coach or an actual coach

Started by TimmyMay
Views: 1395 Posts: 7

2005-08-02 2:09 AM trilover
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.
comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.

comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.
date : April 2, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.

date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.

date : August 31, 2004
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.