General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Should I race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-30 12:40 PM

Subject: Should I race?
I'm new to triathlons, just did my first sprint two months ago and have completed two more since. I am a trained runner but just started long distance swimming and biking. Just learned to clip in, but pretty comfortable. I did well enough to get first place in my age group on my second tri (I don't think there was much competition in my group, small city) and qualified for nationals in two weeks. I would love to do an Olympic length but it would be my first and I'm really intimidated that it would be at nationals. I know I will be well at the back of the pack regardless but is it unrealistic to do an Olympic this early? I can run 12 miles pretty easily, do 40 mi on the bike pretty well but the swim intimidates me. I can do 1500 in 40 min in pool. What do you think? Am I crazy?

2016-08-05 9:23 AM
in reply to: Peanut1

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Should I race?
I don't think you're crazy! In fact I think you are selling yourself short. Most people who sign up for their first OLY don't have the base training you do - so go for it! I would recommend finding a masters swim group to help with your strong and distance.

Strange question - do you like beer? If so - why not consider joining our Beer Drinker Appreciation Society. It's a good group of people with a wide range of interests and abilities. Come check us out: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Good luck!
2016-08-05 1:24 PM
in reply to: Peanut1

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Should I race?
When is the race?
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Should I race? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

WNY / Buffalo area - finished first race

Started by esnagel
Views: 672 Posts: 2

2005-06-21 9:05 AM COgirl

Why race one sport when you can race three at once!

Started by DRLski
Views: 773 Posts: 7

2005-06-14 7:19 PM RGRBILL

Race the Tri... then drink beer

Started by stevencraig
Views: 862 Posts: 7

2005-05-03 11:12 AM rkreuser

First prep race for next year's tri in London

Started by Marko
Views: 657 Posts: 4

2004-08-04 2:26 PM usarocks

2nd Race...then on to the COLD

Started by adder720
Views: 665 Posts: 8

2004-07-08 4:37 PM malvey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!