General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to buy a used Tri bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-30 4:23 PM

User image

Connecticut
Subject: Where to buy a used Tri bike
So I'm in the market for something used, and old. Lol

My budget is under 1k, so my range of options is probably everything from a slightly used slice 105 to your older QR kilos, Cannondale Multisport, and so on.

My real question is; is eBay and craigslist the options here. Or is there some dark back alley of the internet that all the "real" bike guys list their bikes on?

Thanks in advance.

2016-07-30 4:34 PM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Where to buy a used Tri bike
The slowtwitch classifieds are a really good place.

What size are you ?
2016-07-30 4:37 PM
in reply to: #5193307

User image

Connecticut
Depends a bit on brand. But typically a M or 56cm. I'm a pretty normal 5'11".
2016-07-30 5:54 PM

User image

Bronze member

You might check and see if there are any bike resale shops in your surrounding area. I bought a used road bike from a guy who made a business out of recycling bikes. He had a lot of options in my size and every kind of bike. 

2016-07-31 9:18 AM
in reply to: #5193309

User image

Go to: www.mybikeshop.com

Brian Richards is the owner. I got my Felt DA2 from him, full built to my budget. Brian is a great guy and knows bikes better than anyone I know. He is based in Maryland, but will include shipping on all his prices. Give him a call or email him.

I trust him completely. I am in Michigan and he made the transaction very smooth.

He has a big inventory of bikes since he is a used bike dealer. If he doesn't have exactly what you want, tell him what you are looking for and how much you want to spend, and he will help you out.

He will do his best to help you with sizing, but it would be worthwhile for you to go to a shop and be fitted on a few different brands. Frame sizes vary between manufacturers. However, Brian has been doing this for a long time and can make some good recommendations.

Good luck.
2016-07-31 10:22 AM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

Durham, North Carolina
if you are on facebook search for the group "online swap meet." That's where I got my bike from used.

2016-07-31 2:11 PM

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Jeff B

Go to: www.mybikeshop.com

Brian Richards is the owner. I got my Felt DA2 from him, full built to my budget. Brian is a great guy and knows bikes better than anyone I know. He is based in Maryland, but will include shipping on all his prices. Give him a call or email him.

I trust him completely. I am in Michigan and he made the transaction very smooth.

He has a big inventory of bikes since he is a used bike dealer. If he doesn't have exactly what you want, tell him what you are looking for and how much you want to spend, and he will help you out.

He will do his best to help you with sizing, but it would be worthwhile for you to go to a shop and be fitted on a few different brands. Frame sizes vary between manufacturers. However, Brian has been doing this for a long time and can make some good recommendations.

Good luck.

I'd second this recommendation.
2016-07-31 3:48 PM

User image

Bought and sold a few things on ST. Good transactions all around. Love looking at bikes on there. I've also bought from Brian at mybikeshop. Also great! Sent a few friends to buy from Brian. Nice thing there is you can return.
2017-01-05 1:43 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Clarkston, Michigan
What do you mean by ST - Is that a website?

Thanks
2017-01-05 1:57 PM

Originally posted by kmonie360

So I'm in the market for something used, and old. Lol

My budget is under 1k, so my range of options is probably everything from a slightly used slice 105 to your older QR kilos, Cannondale Multisport, and so on.

My real question is; is eBay and craigslist the options here. Or is there some dark back alley of the internet that all the "real" bike guys list their bikes on?

Thanks in advance.

Found mine on Craigslist...although I'm seeing a lot popping up on FB Marketplace.
Depends on how big your locality is.
Bonus....we met at a shop where I had promised a Panera gift cert. for the fitter I use to take a quick peek to make sure I was buying the right size and that the geometry would work for me.
St. Louis is a 'healthy' tri/cycle city, but I wouldn't call it robust.

'14 used Kilo c, sub $1k
2017-01-05 2:41 PM

User image

Oviedo, Florida
I also bought an older Felt B2 from Craigslist. Got to check the bike out and ride it a bit to make sure it's what I wanted. Then had my guy at the LBS do a fitting for me. I'm really happy with the purchase.

Here in central FLA we have lots and lots of bikes for sale through CL. Tons of tri-bikes as you get closer to the west coast. If the bike is in decent shape, they sell pretty quickly.

--
Dave

2017-01-06 12:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I usually try to get my bikes from local shop riders where their bike has been well maintained.

I picked up a pretty nice giant trinity with a 105/ultegra mix for 750 bucks canadian ( no wheels ) and still use it to this day and have even won the local time trial on it.
2017-01-08 5:25 PM
in reply to: cireland

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Originally posted by cireland

What do you mean by ST - Is that a website?

Thanks

ST is the most popular triathlete website in existence for many many many years running. It stands for SlowTwitch.
2017-01-08 6:36 PM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Slowtwitch classifieds, BT classifieds, and I am also starting to see some interesting stuff pop up on facebook marketplace and have a friend that recently purchased a used Madone off of there and is very happy. Seems to be a pretty neat idea and you can easily filter to specified distances from your current location.
2017-01-08 6:50 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Facebook also has a few active pages for bikes and bike equipment.  If you're on there search for 'Online Swap Meet' and 'Online Swap Meet v 2.0'

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to buy a used Tri bike Rss Feed