General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM is over, now what? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-01 9:37 AM

Bismarck, ND
Subject: HIM is over, now what?
I just finished my first HIM last week. I had been working with a coach for the last few months. I loved having a coach. It made me accountable. I missed very few workouts and really enjoyed my race experience. Unfortunately, my coach and I did not get along very well and we are no longer working together. My question is what do people do in the "off season"? Do they follow a maintenance plan of some sort? I was hoping to wait a few months before I hire another coach. However, I need a "plan". If I am held to my own device, I won't do the workouts. In previous years, I work fairly hard in spring and summer but the winter I lose interest, gain weight and stagnant. I run all year long but every spring I have to basically start from square one on the bike and swim.

Any suggestions? I am willing to pay a coach a smaller fee for a little bit more customized plans but I can't afford the $250 that I was paying.
Thanks

2016-08-01 10:06 AM
in reply to: brreems

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: HIM is over, now what?
Someone said that triathlons are raced in the summer but won in the winter. That makes sense, to me. I'm going to focus on my weaknesses over the winter............after I take about 3 weeks off.

I'll run 25mi./wk through the winter......swim 7500-9000 yds and bike a couple times/wk. for maintenance. Intensity will be low for my running.
2016-08-01 10:37 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Originally posted by nc452010

Someone said that triathlons are raced in the summer but won in the winter.

WOW! I've never heard that quote before but that's exactly my experience too.

The winter of 2014-15 I worked hard and worked on my weakness - running. I had an outstanding race season in 2015. This past winter I slacked off on running & had a shoulder injury from swimming & I have been paying for it with weak run legs this summer. But I try to stay positive!

I would say don't take "too much" time off after your HIM ... get back in the saddle and at least do whatever of the 3 you love. I did that at the end of last season & I regret it. I won't make the mistake this winter.
2016-08-01 10:37 AM
in reply to: nc452010

I followed up a HIM in June with a sprint a few weeks later and I am doing an Olympic in a couple of weeks. Then calling it a season. Going to work on the swim first and foremost over the winter. Going to get all the biking I can in before the cold weather hits and I have to switch to the spin bike.
2016-08-01 2:16 PM

User image

I give myself about a month or so at the end of the season where I work out, but I don't train. That means that if my friends want to go for a bike ride, I join them or if I feel like taking my dog for a run, we go for a run. I make sure to do something at least three times a week, but there is no structure. Then I shift more toward other things--trail running and mountain biking if there is no snow, cross country skiing if there is, and I do a couple of triathlon specific workouts a week with an early season race in mind. However, I tend to trail race in the spring, so that is the focus of my training early in the season. For me, triathlon is a hobby, not a job. It isn't my focus year round.
2016-08-01 5:16 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Check out training peaks. Buy a base plan or something else that piques your interest and use that until you think its time to splurge on a coach. I'm far from pro, but maybe work more on volume and less on intensity for a bit to give your body a break.

2016-08-01 5:31 PM

User image

Newtown, Pennsylvania
I am new to the sport as well and do not have a coach. I plan on doing a HIM in September and then taking a couple of weeks off. I am then planning on using the plans they have posted here on this site, starting with the 16 week cycling plan, and then rotate through the 8 week winter maintenance workouts focusing on swimming. I will then move onto the 20 week marathon build for an early spring race.

I feel that there is enough to the plans found here to get me through this off season and prep me for next year, without a major investment.

I need to do the work, but i think the plans here are enough, FWIW
2016-08-01 10:35 PM
in reply to: #5193462

Bismarck, ND
Thank you all for your feedback. Since this was my first HIM, I worked mostly with endurance. I did very few speed workouts. I dont know if I could keep up with the same volume all year round. It would get to be too much. I will check into the maintenece plans here. I just know myself and I'm not sure I can stick with a plan with out either a goal race or a coach.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM is over, now what? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3066 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

Birth day Celebration? I hope I am that lucky when I am 90

Started by MrSolis
Views: 1462 Posts: 4

2009-01-03 4:25 PM MrSolis

trying to determine where I am, and where I am headed...

Started by lordkovacs
Views: 1500 Posts: 3

2008-08-08 9:12 AM lordkovacs

Am I stupid? Yes, I am.

Started by triguyfitz
Views: 1562 Posts: 5

2007-08-21 12:47 AM mm5093

First ever event - half iron man - I am am now a triathlete.

Started by sally888
Views: 1765 Posts: 14

2004-10-12 5:12 AM La Rakusillian
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 31, 2016
author : rjcalhoun
comments : 5
From heavy, stressed business owner to triathlete

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.