General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first sprint tri - Hybrid bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-01 11:43 AM

Subject: My first sprint tri - Hybrid bike
I ended up with a used Jamis Allegro Comp (2013) that was mint. I know people have done sprints, etc on these things, but I'm HATING the upright positioning on it. I just feel like I want to lean forward more. I'm trying to stick with this bike to get me to an Olympic distance and save for a really nice road bike. I'm LOVING this triathlon thing and hope to do a HIM in a few years. Should I try dropping the handle bars? I'm perplexed.

2016-08-01 12:01 PM
in reply to: booniebonnie

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: My first sprint tri - Hybrid bike

First, welcome and congratulations on finishing!.  I did the same as you, finished my first on a hybrid and then moved to a road bike.  I added aerobars to my hybrid, which then I was able to transfer over to the roadie.  Maybe that will be worth a shot for you.  Good luck!

2016-08-01 1:44 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Congrats!  

If by "dropping the handle bars" you mean switching to normal road-style handlebars...probably not.  The frame and such aren't a problem, and a handlebar isn't too expensive, but integrated brake lever shifters will set you back several hundred dollars (more if you have to pay the bike shop to install them).  

You could add clip-on aero bars.  

2016-08-01 1:53 PM

, Wisconsin
Have you lowered the handlebars as low as possible (called "slamming"). Quite often bikes come with spacers under the stem that can be relocated above he stem, dropping the bars an inch or more. It's pretty easy to do, U-Tube videos will show you how. I'd start there first, then maybe try some clip on aero bars. I would not try to swap in road bars as others have said that will get costly pretty fast and will probably also hurt resale value of the Jamis.
2016-08-01 3:31 PM
in reply to: #5193496

I put some aero bars on my hybrid and while not a road bike it is much more comfortable. As much as I want a road bike I am going to wait until I know I will stick with triathlon. First race averaged 17.4 mph on my hybrid over 13 miles.
2016-08-01 3:37 PM
in reply to: Ericallenboyd

Actually, race day is 8/14/16 but I'm confident I'm going to finish this.

Yes, I meant I'm lowering my handle bars and not adding drop bars. Trying to sink as little money into this thing as possible.

I considered adding aero-bars, but would have to take into consideration of not having easy access to my gears/brakes. I probably would be super comfy riding with them.

I'm only averaging 13.5 mph 12-18 miles. I'm sure that has A LOT to do with fitness and not so much the bike itself. I'm still learning to use my gears. I also just put a cadence monitor on. I've only been at this for 3.5 weeks. I have a running background but I'm on team turtle. I literally signed up for this thing and I didn't have a bike yet.

I'm going to get the bars as low as my back will handle!

Thanks everyone!

2016-08-01 4:17 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
yes be careful with trying to convert a bike into a "tri" bike. I did so on my first sprint and wound up spending way too much money.

keep the dough for a suitable bike when you are ready. have fun on your first race !
2016-08-02 2:01 PM
in reply to: metafizx

Originally posted by metafizx

yes be careful with trying to convert a bike into a "tri" bike. I did so on my first sprint and wound up spending way too much money.

keep the dough for a suitable bike when you are ready. have fun on your first race !

Absolutely.

Enjoy the cushy hybrid, save the money.

The next toughy is what's next?
If you have the money, spend away.

If not, the next choice is a difficult one. Road bike or tri bike? Depends on how much you're "into it" and how you 'ride' vs. train.

Having come from a hybrid...and realized that 99.999% of my riding was for 'training' and I always had my hybrid to tool around on...

Just throwing this out there....

Cheap road bike And I mean cheap. I wouldn't even be scared of the word "vintage" if it popped up in a Craigslist ad.
And then start saving for what you REALLY want. If I could rewind life....I coulda saved myself a bundle.
2016-08-04 8:48 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by jhaack39
Originally posted by metafizx yes be careful with trying to convert a bike into a "tri" bike. I did so on my first sprint and wound up spending way too much money. keep the dough for a suitable bike when you are ready. have fun on your first race !
Absolutely. Enjoy the cushy hybrid, save the money. The next toughy is what's next? If you have the money, spend away. If not, the next choice is a difficult one. Road bike or tri bike? Depends on how much you're "into it" and how you 'ride' vs. train. Having come from a hybrid...and realized that 99.999% of my riding was for 'training' and I always had my hybrid to tool around on... Just throwing this out there.... Cheap road bike And I mean cheap. I wouldn't even be scared of the word "vintage" if it popped up in a Craigslist ad. And then start saving for what you REALLY want. If I could rewind life....I coulda saved myself a bundle.

Like cars, there may be "cheap to acquire" bikes, but unless you've got decent mechanical aptitude, that "cheap" bike will cost a small fortune.  

Expect to replace tires and tubes ($50-75).  
Expect to replace brake pads ($5-10)
Expect to replace brake and shift cables ($30-50)
Expect to replace the chain ($10-30, plus the tool)

To this, you can also add pedals, shoes, helmet, pump or inflator, repair kit, saddle bag, and bottle cages.  

Paying a bike mechanic to clean and re-grease bearings (bottom bracket, head, front and rear axle), and true wheels, can further eat into the wallet.  This assumes nothing is seized or breaks and has to be replaced.  

2016-08-04 4:28 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by booniebonnie I ended up with a used Jamis Allegro Comp (2013) that was mint. I know people have done sprints, etc on these things, but I'm HATING the upright positioning on it. I just feel like I want to lean forward more. I'm trying to stick with this bike to get me to an Olympic distance and save for a really nice road bike. I'm LOVING this triathlon thing and hope to do a HIM in a few years. Should I try dropping the handle bars? I'm perplexed.
Is this your bike (forgetting color)? Depending on the size, the stem specs state it has either  "10JAMIS_DEGREE x 90mm (15/17"), 105mm (19/21"), 115mm (23"). ATS shim length 100mm".  If the stem & handlebar is mounted all the way up with a lot of space between the top tube, those spacers should be able to be removed to lower the bar height. You can also extend the stem length out a bit with a different stem, depending on what size bike you have.  If you have a good bike shop near by they should be able to help you with the lowering part if you don't have the means to DIY.

I did my first 2 Sprints and Oly on my old 37lb MTB  I added aero bars after the Oly for commuting to work when I knew I was going to be getting a used road bike next and transferred them over when I got it.

2016-08-04 7:21 PM
in reply to: Donto

Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by booniebonnie I ended up with a used Jamis Allegro Comp (2013) that was mint. I know people have done sprints, etc on these things, but I'm HATING the upright positioning on it. I just feel like I want to lean forward more. I'm trying to stick with this bike to get me to an Olympic distance and save for a really nice road bike. I'm LOVING this triathlon thing and hope to do a HIM in a few years. Should I try dropping the handle bars? I'm perplexed.
Is this your bike (forgetting color)? Depending on the size, the stem specs state it has either  "10JAMIS_DEGREE x 90mm (15/17"), 105mm (19/21"), 115mm (23"). ATS shim length 100mm".  If the stem & handlebar is mounted all the way up with a lot of space between the top tube, those spacers should be able to be removed to lower the bar height. You can also extend the stem length out a bit with a different stem, depending on what size bike you have.  If you have a good bike shop near by they should be able to help you with the lowering part if you don't have the means to DIY.

I did my first 2 Sprints and Oly on my old 37lb MTB  I added aero bars after the Oly for commuting to work when I knew I was going to be getting a used road bike next and transferred them over when I got it.

Yep, that's my bike. It's white/blue one. The stem is sticking up when the guy at the bike shop lowered it. I don't feel like it was right, but he said he'd never worked on one before. Seemed to be fumbling around a bit. I probably need to go to a different LBS. I'll do that tomorrow before I set out to ride this weekend.

2016-08-06 12:53 PM
in reply to: Ericallenboyd

I'm happy to report that I got a Jamis dealer to take a look at the bike and refit me. I didn't know there was one in town until I found them on Google. Go figure! Handlebars are much lower and the seat is higher. The stem doesn't have rings. It's fixed and yes it sticks up. Quite frankly I'm happy that it rode better today so I couldn't give a care if it looks weird. Looking forward to some longer rides!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first sprint tri - Hybrid bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Advice on using a hybrid bike for first triathlon

Started by jonnygw
Views: 19657 Posts: 8

2010-04-07 2:12 PM tri808

Olympic tri on a hybrid bike?

Started by ian555
Views: 2430 Posts: 7

2009-06-03 12:27 PM haymar2

Hybrid vs Road bikes vs tri bike and the trainer

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1230 Posts: 3

2006-11-30 9:23 AM chirunner134

Hybrid Bike for 1st Tri?

Started by AeroHudson
Views: 893 Posts: 15

2006-07-10 4:06 PM bsjracing

First Timer / Hybrid Bike

Started by AeroHudson
Views: 717 Posts: 3

2006-06-12 8:33 AM summer_2005
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : August 17, 2007
author : mars
comments : 4
Remeber why we do this, we all have our reasons. I had trained for six months, and it was now time to actually do my first sprint triathlon.
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : September 19, 2004
author : Machiavelo
Do you have a bicycle and do not know where to begin to find one if you do not? How should go about choosing a bicycle that will be best suited for your needs?