General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 hour wait for wave start...what to do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-01 6:29 PM

User image

Utah
Subject: 3 hour wait for wave start...what to do?
In looking at the info at Age Group Nationals, it appears that I have an almost 3 hour window between transition closing and my wave start time. Any ideas on how best to use this time? Last time I went I was the second swim wave, so no biggie. This time, third from last wave start. It's going to be hot and humid as well, if that makes a difference.

2016-08-01 7:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: 3 hour wait for wave start...what to do?

That means you will have over 4.5 hours from when transition opens and your race.  Get to transition as soon as it opens, get your gear set up quick, then get out of there and go back to your hotel and relax.....you'll be WAY ahead of the folks hanging around in the heat.  Your wave will NOT go off early.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-08-01 7:38 PM
2016-08-01 8:30 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

Originally posted by KatieLimb

In looking at the info at Age Group Nationals, it appears that I have an almost 3 hour window between transition closing and my wave start time. Any ideas on how best to use this time? Last time I went I was the second swim wave, so no biggie. This time, third from last wave start. It's going to be hot and humid as well, if that makes a difference.

How long is the race?
2016-08-01 9:09 PM
in reply to: #5193586

User image

Utah
Olympic Distance
2016-08-01 11:12 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

At 3 hours, if you can get back to the hotel, do so. I live in Omaha and will be there too. It's odd they said it will be hot already this far out. It may be warm but it could be cooler. It's been mid 90's for a month but today was 86 and awesome out (day off). The water temperature on their site says 84.9 degrees as of 2 weeks ago though. On races where I started an hour+ out, I just stayed out of the sun and brought water and food along with me while I waited around. Could even sneak in a nap in the car if trying to get out is too hard. You'll have time...
2016-08-02 9:35 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Left Brain

That means you will have over 4.5 hours from when transition opens and your race.  Get to transition as soon as it opens, get your gear set up quick, then get out of there and go back to your hotel and relax.....you'll be WAY ahead of the folks hanging around in the heat.  Your wave will NOT go off early.

This is what I would be doing.

2016-08-02 9:43 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by axteraa

x3.  Plus use this time to your advantage by sitting quietly and visualizing your entire race. Visualize every detail starting with lining up for the swim start. Think about the sounds of the other athletes chattering around you, and the smell of the water. Imagine the countdown to the horn going off, and how you calmly begin swimming, sighting off the other swimmers, buoys, and landmarks. Think about your best quality swim form, what the right effort level feels like, and how the water feels sliding across you. Continue this visualization technique with your eyes closed and relaxed steady breathing for the full event all the way through the swim exit, T1, bike, T2, and the run. If possible, run through the entire race in your mind 2 or 3 times.

2016-08-02 10:42 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by axteraa

x3.  Plus use this time to your advantage by sitting quietly and visualizing your entire race. Visualize every detail starting with lining up for the swim start. Think about the sounds of the other athletes chattering around you, and the smell of the water. Imagine the countdown to the horn going off, and how you calmly begin swimming, sighting off the other swimmers, buoys, and landmarks. Think about your best quality swim form, what the right effort level feels like, and how the water feels sliding across you. Continue this visualization technique with your eyes closed and relaxed steady breathing for the full event all the way through the swim exit, T1, bike, T2, and the run. If possible, run through the entire race in your mind 2 or 3 times.

Start doing this now so that you are also practicing visualization...then on race day it's even more effective. Before each workout between now and then, visualize the portion of the race that it corresponds to.

Also agree with staying cool, getting into AC for a little while, and very important...don't fall behind on your nutrition & hydration schedule.

Enjoy the sights and sounds while you're there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 hour wait for wave start...what to do? Rss Feed