General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Tire Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-05 11:12 AM

Subject: Bike Tire Question
Hello All,
New to this Tri sport. I finally decided to purchase a road bike so that I would be even more committed to doing a Tri. After all the searching, viewing, reviewing, and test riding I decided on a used Specialized Allez. I test rode an entry Level Giant and BMC LRS01. The BMC was awesome...it seemed like the bike moved with me instead of against me, really light and comfortable. But, it was a bit pricey and I didn't want to invest in something like that just yet. Ok, so the Allez I have is a base model entry level.

I purchased a pump because I felt like the tires were a little low on air. The PSI on the pump read 100, so I pumped it up to 115 as the tires state. But during my ride last night it still felt as if the tires were a little low on air. Is this normal? I weigh 205 so I don't know if I should pump up the tires a little more because of my weight.

Thanks in advance for your comments. Please let me know if I posted this in the correct forum.

2016-08-06 8:29 PM
in reply to: VidalA

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Bike Tire Question
tires will naturally loose a little air so checking and pumping them up before each ride is advisable. Regarding the 115psi- Is that the MAX pressure printed on the tire? You dont need to pump them up that hard, there are many opinions on tire pressure but I will leave that to others to chime in on.
2016-08-07 9:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
I've observed bike tires can lose 10-15 PSI overnight.

I fully agree 115 PSI is very high. I weigh 175 lbs and inflated Michelin Krylion tires to 115 PSI as the instructions on the package said to do. My rear rim cracked around the reinforced eyelets on the drive side! I typically use 90 PSI on the rear wheel per HED's research of optimal tire pressure for 700x23 mm tires on 23 mm wide rims. Since I use 700x25mm tires on the rear wheel, I could get away with as little as 80 PSI since the larger tire holds more air.

Given your weight at 205 lbs, I would recommend 700x25mm tires on the rear wheel inflated to 95 PSI (if there is enough clearance with the frame), and 700x23mm tires on the front inflated to 90 PSI.

As far as the tire losing air during the ride, I recently posted about that on the mechanic thread.
1.) is the rim strip securely in place so none of the spoke holes make contact with the tube?
2.) Is there a sharp object in the tire that cannot be detected by touch, only to be exposed when pressure makes it come in contact with the tube?
3.) is the valve finger tight?

Edited by Six000MileYear 2016-08-07 9:16 AM
2016-08-23 8:03 AM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

Thank you for all the information.

Being a newbie I some how made a tear in the tube near the needle area. So I had to replace the tube. But again, as I was riding both the front and back tires felt a little flat. I observed other rides when they pasted me and did not see their tires to be as flat.

I may take into my local bike shop to have them check it out.
2016-09-26 11:49 AM
in reply to: VidalA

Figured out the problem...was not pumping in enough air. I decided to go up to the local bike store with my wheel/tire and they showed me how to correctly pump a tire. Go figure...I thought I knew...only took me tearing holes in two different tubes...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Tire Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike (tire) question

Started by daspanglers
Views: 755 Posts: 8

2007-05-09 12:58 PM daspanglers

Bike Tire Question

Started by k96ag04
Views: 688 Posts: 4

2007-01-18 11:01 PM PintoRacer

bike tires question

Started by smileydc01
Views: 920 Posts: 13

2006-07-28 9:24 AM rbreddin75

bike tires question

Started by smileydc01
Views: 583 Posts: 1

2006-07-27 1:04 PM smileydc01

bike tire question again...

Started by meredith
Views: 692 Posts: 2

2006-06-04 8:16 AM Daremo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Bike maintenance chores to do daily, weekly, monthly and annually

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?
date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : January 1, 2008
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 3
One procedure for changing a tire that you might learn from, but certainly don't want to follow precisely!